PDA

View Full Version : Split Opaline

mandy
11-22-2006, 03:11 AM
HI! just a question, how do i know that a bird is a real split opaline? There are bird sellers here selling 'splits' for relatively good prices... I just want to make sure no one tries to pull one over me...

Also, does anyone know what a 'lime green' opaline is? What makes it so special?
:confused:

Keltoth
11-22-2006, 08:23 AM
HI! just a question, how do i know that a bird is a real split opaline? There are bird sellers here selling 'splits' for relatively good prices... I just want to make sure no one tries to pull one over me...

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell. You just have to trust the seller. You can mitigate this a little by insisting on seeing the parents birds; if the chick is a quaranteed split to Opaline, either the father or the mother would have to be a visual Opaline.

Remember, all Opaline splits are, by definition, male. If you find a breeder that is trying to sell you a female that is split to Opaline, run (don't walk!) in the opposite direction...

Also, does anyone know what a 'lime green' opaline is? What makes it so special?
:confused:

I've heard the term "lime green opaline" applied to an opaline that is just a normal Opaline; i.e. - one that has no dark or violet factors; a normal green. I've also seen it applied to a heavily pied green Opaline. I think the "Lime Green" moniker is simply a case of someone just trying to create an exciting name in order to move birds, as it certainly is not a standard name applied by the lovebird breeding community. It is akin to another person I ran across who was labeling her Seagreen chicks that she was selling "Seafoam".

- Eric

mandy
11-25-2006, 05:46 PM
I noticed none of the reputable websites mention lime greens... but in the shops i've visited, 'lime greens' are sold for $600 while the 'normal' green opalines are sold for $300.

Thanks for your reply eric...

Keltoth
11-25-2006, 07:02 PM
I noticed none of the reputable websites mention lime greens... but in the shops i've visited, 'lime greens' are sold for $600 while the 'normal' green opalines are sold for $300.

Hmmmm - I wonder if "Lime Green" is the name someone gave to the CinnamonOpalines that have come out (the "crossover" mutation). That oculd explain the $600, as there are only a very select few breeders that have gotten the crossover, as far as I know.

Any of these places you mentioned have a website I could lokk at?

- Eric

mandy
11-26-2006, 09:10 PM
cinnamon opalines.... that could be.... do they have a yellowish-green body?

mandy
11-27-2006, 01:29 AM
by the way, the only places i can find that mention the limegreen is in this local pet website called Philippine pet finder.

#1ThaiBoxer
11-27-2006, 03:13 AM
how come opaline birds are so much more expensive again? They are nice but I mean the price difference is so dramatic

Keltoth
11-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Opalines command a higher price because they are not yet widely available in numbers like the other Peachfaced mutations. The first Opalines were discovered 8-ish years ago, and every Opaline that exists in the world was bred from the original producing pair, named Ozzie and Hariet.

cinnamon opalines.... that could be.... do they have a yellowish-green body?

Here is a picture of one (http://africanlovebirdsociety.myphotoalbum.com/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album45&id=Photo_Credits_Blake_Ma_American_Cinnamon_Opalin e) from the ALBS website; the photo is by Blake Ma.

- Eric

mandy
11-28-2006, 01:31 AM
Yup certainly looks so pretty!