PDA

View Full Version : HEY FLOCK

chris631
11-23-2006, 07:18 PM
ITS THANKSGIVING HAVE A HOUSE FULL OF PEOPLE AND MY FEMALE RICA,FORMERLY RICO IS LAYING EGGS. LOLO FORMERLY LOLA IS FEEDING HER . EVERYTHING I'VE READ HAS FLOWN COMPLETLEY OUT OF MY HEAD. THIS PAST WEEK I NOTICED HER MAKING A NEST, I GAVE IN AND BOUGHT A BIRTHING BOX. (SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING AND HASTYNESS OF THIS, BUT I',M WRITING THIS BETWEEN DINNER AND DESERT) MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS MY JOB RIGHT NOW, HOW LONG DOES SHE SIT ON THE EGGS????? I DID NOTICE THEM DOING THE "BIRDCAGE BOOGIE" AT LEAST A HUNDRED TIMES THIS PAST WEEK THEY ARE A YEAR OLD, HEALTHY(KNOCK WOOD) JUST WANT TO NOW MY PART IN ALL THIS? FOOD, SUPPLEMENTS ETC, SOMEONE GET BACK TO ME SOON, WASN'T EXSPECTING THIS SOO SOON! HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE! CHRISTOPHER

bellarains
11-23-2006, 07:30 PM
She will lay an egg every other day. Occasionally, they may skip a day between eggs, but watch her closely to be sure she is eliminating, as this is the first sign of egg binding.

You will want to be sure she has easy access to a cuttlebone, and food with a good calcium content such as broccoli, kale, collards, and figs are very good.

Provide her with some nesting material, inside, and also with some shredding material so that she can modify the nest to her liking.

She will sit on the eggs approximately 23 days after the last egg laid. Before then, read all you can in the breeding section, and on babies in the resource library. We are here of course to help answer any questions you may have, but it's always helpful to be aware of what's to come.

Let us know how all is going, and congrats on the eggies:)

sdgilley
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Everything Lori said, but I'll add this:
She won't sit much on her eggs for the first few days, don't be alarmed. She'll still act normal and then once she starts sitting all the time - beware. She'll become very protective and maybe a little nasty if you put your hands in the cage. This is perfectly normal.

Lovebirds make really good parents most of the time, so your job is to supply them with what they need and let them do the rest.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

chris631
11-23-2006, 11:30 PM
thanks for the replys lori and suzane, its funny rica was always my baby, hates my partner and evryone else, lolo is my partners baby, he likes me but always goes to him. tonight after all company left i did open the cage , thats always our time lolo did come out, rica did too, for a second, left the cage jumped on my shoulder and made that content clucking sound, but thats it! i tried to organiize the cage, clean etc. , she bit me so hard, guess we have our limits now lol, lolo came out jumped on my partners shoulder, like he always does, but also was biting, first time too, my partner was physical and mentally hurt , i think, lol, lolo has never done that, i said i think we should all settle down and get used to the new situation, they are about to become parents and i think we are all trying to get used to the new situation. anyway thanks for taking the time out to un ruffle, pardon the pun, my feathers, it should be an interesting holiday season!

DebSpace
11-24-2006, 12:06 AM
Wow, sounds like you had way more excitement in your Thanksgiving day than anticipated. :omg: I just cooked a little, ate a lot, played Monopoly and ate some more! Sounds like Lori and Suzanne have bases covered, so congrats and just try to stay out of Rica's way! Definately don't take any of her behavior personally - she's just being a protective mom. ;)