PDA

View Full Version : Unusal "mating" behavior?

dmj64
11-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi there, everyone,

Here’s another stage of my rocky Lovebird ownership road:

Note To New Lovie Owners: Beware Of Nestiness!

I’m new to lovies, so I don’t know if this is common. I sure was fooled:

PinkFace (sex unknown at the time) and my Blue Girl (confirmed hen) were such wonderful mates. PinkFace was a funny bird. I watched as PinkFace mounted up on my Blue Girl’s back and “go at it”. PinkFace would sit on the perch, hang one leg over, and hump the perch like crazy. PinkFace would upchuck food to Blue Girl (often times, Blue Girl would beg for it). Blue Girl stayed with the eggs (8 eggs total) in the box for weeks while PinkFace stood watch. I was excited, expecting little babies, but the eggs were all infertile and I had to remove the nest box because Blue Girl just would not give up on them.

PinkFace died from a bound egg.

Two hens “role playing” male/female mates? Strange

Lesson Learned:
I wanted to keep the little guys busy, but my lovies weren’t interested in toys. I found that the only thing that would get their attention was little cardboard boxes with holes cut in them and some burlap or something inside (I eventually built them a nest box, which I thought of as just a “happy house” for play&sleep). Also, of course, they’d go nuts with newspaper and such. I thought they were just playing. I didn’t know about “nestiness” and that is exactly what was going on, followed by rampant egg laying, which is what doomed PinkFace. Blue Girl also showed some laboring and I took her to the vet; fortunately she passed the egg. I didn’t discover PinkFace’s problem until it was too late (I picked her up and saw that her lower belly was swollen enough to part the feathers; the doctor had to perform an invasive last-resort procedure, from which she died the next day).

I unwittingly encouraged this nesty behavior. I thought they were just playing. I didn't realize my mistake until it was too late. If I only knew…

Mandolin
11-26-2006, 12:40 AM
I am very sorry to hear about the loss of PinkFace, that must be horrible. It sounds like you are stuggling with a bit of guilt which is very unnecessary, everything you did was with the best intentions. I actually fell into the same trap with Kameko, I thought she was just playing with paper as well but that 'playing' soon turned into full blown nestiness. The thing is, it is unavoidable. They are going to be hormonal and lay eggs in many circumstances no matter what you do, it is nature. It is horrible to hear that you had 2 birds get egg bound around the same time, i would think that is a very rare circumstance, egg binding isn't all that common. How old was your PinkFace? I know from my biologist b/f that the first time eggs are laid is somewhat risky especially if they are too young or are starting laying eggs too late. Also it is the first egg of the clutch that is the worst with the highest chance of being egg bound, don't knwo why exactly. I know this information won't make the hurt of losing a beloved lovie go away, i hope it will help elliviate some of the guilt. We only want our birds to be happy and they can be very manipulative in getting what they want (ie. paper). Once again i am sorry for your loss, lots of hugs for you and Blue Girl who also must be feeling the grief. :grouphug1

Jessica
11-26-2006, 12:51 AM
I agree with what Mandy wrote so well. I am so sorry to hear of your loss and am sending big hugs too.

dmj64
11-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Thank You for your support, Mandolin & Jessica. I don't know exactly how old the little guys were, but I'm sure they were of breeding age from their color development (at least a year old).

Believe me, no more boxes in the cage!

DebSpace
11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I lost my male, Tux, about 5 weeks ago because he ingested bits from a wallhanging that was outside the cage while he was inside. I felt terrible about it because I had just moved the cage to that spot to keep it from drafts. Guilt is a natural reaction from most losses, but you did all you could do by getting her to the vet quickly. I have adorable new male that I am slowing integrating with my female because she was just devastated by the loss of Tux. My little Beau is charming in his own way, but I will always miss and love Tux, just as I will miss and love Beau when that time comes for him. They have their own unique personalities which is part of the joys of ownership, but also one of the reasons it hurts so much to let them go. :)

bellarains
11-26-2006, 03:37 PM
We live, we learn, we do all we can for them. We love them, care for them, and if need be, we take them to the vet. This is exactly what you did, unfortunately, some hens do perish from that procedure. I'm just sorry you lost your little Pinkface that way.

There is a lot to learn about egg laying, breeding rest, and babies. I know all that information is here, and it sounds like you've already learned allot about it, but we are always here to answer any questions you may have also.

Again, so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your loss. It is posts like these that others learn from as well.