PDA

View Full Version : Male or female?

JoJo
11-26-2006, 06:06 AM
I would like to get a buddy for my "Dicky". If I get a female and I don't want to breed them what do I do if she starts to lay. What is the best, two males or male/female or does it matter. Will two males get along ok?:happy: I just want him to be happy..........

linda040899
11-26-2006, 07:30 AM
If you have a known male and don't want offspring, I would get another male. 2 males together are usually happy campers, while 2 hens have the ability to do serious injury or even kill each other if they don't get along. Male and female will produce offspring if put together for companionship.

Cathy
11-26-2006, 07:49 AM
There is absolutely no guarantee that your fid will accept a buddy of either sex and you may end up with 2 birds that cannot be let out to play at the same time. You may end up feeling guilty because you now have 2 birds that that you have to split your time between. I wanted a buddy for my 3-year-old parrotlet, it did not work.

Elle
11-26-2006, 08:14 AM
I have two females, one peach face, one fisher. They get along well during play time but they have seperate cages. They seem to like the arrangements as they put themselves to bed on their own, each returning to their respective cage. I will never let them share the same cage even if sometimes its tempting, seing how they fall asleep together.

Sometimes there is some fighting. So far nothing serious but I always have to keep an eye on them. They love to cuddle in their coconut together and are always seeking new ways to get into trouble together.

Janie
11-26-2006, 12:31 PM
If you have a known male and don't want offspring, I would get another male. 2 males together are usually happy campers, while 2 hens have the ability to do serious injury or even kill each other if they don't get along. Male and female will produce offspring if put together for companionship.

Ditto! :) If you don't want to breed and since two males "usually" do get along well, why go through the nesty hen (plus egg binding thing) behavior with a female? I purposely have three males and they all get along well. :)

JoJo
11-26-2006, 07:50 PM
I don't have a known male but his behaviour makes me believe he is male. The scratching, head bobbing regurgitating thing. I have heard that a positive dna on a male is not a sure thing. I assume he is male. Thanks for the info. We do not have any good avian Vets in my town so I am in search. Jo

Janie
11-27-2006, 12:02 PM
JoJo, while he does "sound" like a male in his behavior, I'd still have Dicky DNA'd before adding another bird. Just my :2cents: