PDA

View Full Version : I need assistance please...

TLL
11-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Hello All -

I am fairly new to this site, just adopting 1 Lovebird over a month ago.
He/She has been fine, no problems, and very friendly...But does not like to be pet/scratched.

In the past week, he has been "Mounting" his toys, which I removed from his cage, and now he seems to be trying to "Mount" my daughters stuffed animals.

He is also starting to bite, which I assume has something to do with wanting to mate.

Any advice on what I should do is much appreciated,a nd is this just a phase, or will this not stop?

Thank You

Janie
11-28-2006, 04:12 PM
It is not a phase and is totally natural. I'd be sure to put the toys back for him/her. I have three males and adopted the older one when he was already around 7 so he was over that phase but my younger two, 1 1/2, love self gratification and are at it often during the day. Their preferred hump buddy is a birdie buddy and I have two in one cage and one in another so there is never a shortage. They have never humped their toys but many birds do and it's perfectly natural and normal. My two also feed their birdie buddies (very common) so I do remove and wash them often but I have replacements on hand so that they are never denied the opportunity when the mood hits them. Trust me, you can be glad it's toys that your bird is mounting.....a few members here will tell you that their birds prefer to mount their fingers/shoulder or head. :D While we humans have hang-ups, our birds do not and they are only doing what is normal for them. I would never try to stop my bird and think that would lead to total frustration and could cause a huge behavior change in an otherwise sweet bird.

bellarains
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
It is perfectly normal behavior. It will pass, but....... It will come again:rolleyes:

As for the biting, start teaching him that this is not acceptable behavior. When he bites, tell him in a stern voice "NO BITE!!!!". Mine react very well to the NO NO sound, and I will try to spell it, if you have kids, you know it, LOL. It sounds like aaaaant, aaaant:lol

You can also try to hold the beak firmly, but gently between your thumb and forefinger to teach, NO BITE. If he is on you and biting, the earthquake method works well for some also. This is achieved by gently shaking the arm, or whatever part of the body he is on. Also, try to keep him from going to your head, as that is a dominant spot, and sometimes causes them to bite.

Good luck, and as for the mounting, try not to look:rofl:

TLL
11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Thank You so Much!
Can you tell me what a bird buddie is? I will be sure to get some tomorrow, since I do not think his toys are working for him, which is why he is "Moody".

About 10 years ago, I had a Molluccan Cockatoo, and he used my arm!:omg:
I was unaware the 1st time, but was quite aware when he tried the 2nd time!

I was afraid this little guy was looking for another lovebird, so I was not sure if this was normal..I have read the "Runors" that lovebirds must be kept in 2's....Not sure what to believe anymore...

Also, any advice.....He will step up, and fly to me, but refuses to be touched, either scratched/petted anywhere, and as soon as he sees the hand come up, he flys away thinking I am going to grab him...

Are all lovebirds like this, and can I work with him on trusting me to pet him?

Like I said, I had a Molluccan, that was a total lover boy, loved to be pet, scratched, anything, everywhere...I also have a cockatiel currently, that I try to let the lovebird watch me scratch him, to see I am not going to hurt him. And last but not least - A White Parakeet, that just is a snuggler, especially pockets! Not to mention, guinea pig, great dane, german shephard, a total family petting zoo going on here in illinois!:rofl:

bellarains
11-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Here's a link to a birdie buddy: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=6380&Ntt=birdie%20buddy&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1 It does give them something to snuggle up to, as well as be amorous with too;)

It sounds like your little guy is hand shy. Instead of using your open hand to pet him, try using a closed hand. I have to tell you though, some birds never really take to hands, but a very slow approach works best. If he's not ready, give him time, offer a pet once a day, and back off if he's not accepting. In time you'll earn his trust, and he may do better.

Janie
11-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Lori! :D Yep, that is a birdie buddy and you can find them at any Petco or Petsmart. Sized just for lovebirds.

TLL
11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
I have seen them! Cocoa my Lovie, sleeps in a tent that hangs off the top of his cage, he loves it! When we got home, though it was filthy! I do not think it was ever washed! I washed it for him, and I saw these but did not think he would enjoy it since he could not climb in it.
I will get 1 tomorrow THANK YOU!

Buy A Paper Doll
11-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Wanted to address the "rumor" that lovebirds must be kept in pairs. Nope! As long as your bird is getting time and attention from his human flock, it is not necessary to have a mate.

Further, adding a mate to the mix will not necessarily prevent your bird from humping. My male bird continues to hump things (he is more of a tech geek bird and prefers the computer mouse and/or the television remote control) WHILE HIS MATE WATCHES.

It's quite funny, actually. She stands just inches away from him, staring, and occasionally biting him on the toes while he does it.

DebSpace
11-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi! Just waned to add that if you were to give him a real lovebird buddy, you are not restricted to a female. In fact, two males will usually get along well together. Male and female, however, can make little birdies together :blush: and that may not be desirable. There are also no guarantees that, after a quaranteen period, separate caging and slow integration the male and female would ever end up liking each other to the point you could place them in a cage together. Some birds, especially those never hand-fed as is the case with chain petstores, will never be crazy about hands/fingers. We're happy to have you with us and look forward to PICTURES of your fids! :happy:

wilkiecoco
11-29-2006, 09:48 AM
i am one of those owners whose lovie uses my fingers to get it on!!!!!!! >o i tried in the beginning to distract him so he wouldn't, ( I hid the kleenex boxes, which was what he sat on while doing the swishy swish on my finger :eek: ), but he was more stubborn than me. First, he figured out where I hid the boxes, :cool: and then just didn't care if he didn't have them. He was getting frsutrated, and after posting a thread myself about this subject, and getting some great advice, I realized that he is a bird, and that is what he does. To try to stop him was not only unfair of me, but he was getting frsutrated. As Janie said, it is totally normal bird behaviour. Part of being owned by lovies is respecting their true natures, and being understanding of their behaviour. So what if I have to sit still, with my finger in the air many times a day?????????? :roll: :eek:

Janie
11-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Robyn, you are a good lovie momma! I would do the same if they'd chosen one of my body parts! :D

wilkiecoco
11-29-2006, 01:19 PM
thanks janie - by the way, i am writing without capitals as kiwi is "busy" with my other hand. :roll: seriously guys, can you ever imagine having this conversation with some of your friends who don't have birds??????????:rofl:

bellarains
11-29-2006, 01:56 PM
OH God!!!! I already am teased unmercifully about my bird "whacking himself off on my shoulder", so nope, I won't share my stories with any one outside of this board;)

wilkiecoco
11-29-2006, 02:14 PM
lori, you are braver than me. i can't imagine telling anyone outside this group. never mind them teasing me - they would want me to see a therapist ( you let your bird do WHAT on your WHAT?????:eek: )

wilkiecoco
11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
lori - just reread your post and realized you DON't talk to anyone outside this group. so who teases you?????????? with me, it is my husband and kids who laugh at the act, and yet are totally grossed out at the same time! :x

bellarains
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Yep,

It's the hubby, and Son here also. Although, my hubby found it necessary to share that little tidbit with some of his fishing buddies, so it is those people who look at me like I'm some kind of birdy nympho swishing post:rolleyes:

Janie
11-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Robyn and Lori.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TLL
12-01-2006, 08:30 PM
Will I put the Bird Buddy in his cage yesterday......Wow, it took him less than 5 minutes to go "introduce" himself!
Now it seems he is spending more time in his cage with his "Buddy" than out of his cage with us! He is happier though, I have to admit!
THANK YOU!

Mandolin
12-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Maybe i should consider getting my nympho Kameko a buddy like that :lol. I don't know if that would make the mating behaviour better or worse with us. Once she gets going there is no stopping her. She likes the computer mouse, hands, and least pleasant... faces. A pulsating birdie bumb in the face isn't always a pleasant experience :roll:. Think a birdie buddy would be a nice companion or would it increase nesty behaviour (which is the last thing we need ;))

bellarains
12-02-2006, 09:46 AM
A birdy buddy won't necessarily make Kameko change her "swishy preference place". Bela had one, and he never swished on it, he prefers my shoulder or ponytail if I put my hair up:rolleyes: I even got Lacey for him, and still, he prefers to swish on me:( He loves her in every way, but that way.

One thing to watch for is, territorial issues. If they get too territorial with their buddy, you might try just putting it in at night time, or every other day or so. You want them to have a snuggly, but not become too territorial to the point of getting nippy over it.