PDA

View Full Version : ......Then there was the Duck

LauraO
12-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Well as anyone who reads the "In Loving Memory" section knows we lost our beloved Aussie Cinnamon Sage last week. I'm posting to get some thoughts on what is going on with Ducky who was Sages mate.

In total, we have some 17 peachies and 2 masked lovies and now Ducky is the only unattached Peachie. He is actually doing extremely well for somebirdy who just lost their mate, but I'm still concerned for him. I've been watching him closely and it seems as if he's trying to find anoter mate as he's taking turns hanging out with specific pairs and attempting to get close. The biggest object of his affection is our blue pied Beeper. He is just a little older than Sage was with a similiar temperament. The problem is that Beeper is bonded to Babiest Bubber and shows no interest in leaving her.

I've started looking for another lovie to bond with Ducky. I totally understand what bringing another bird into the flock can do and I'm okay with the risks. I mean I don't want another unattached lovie, but when you have 19 lovies what's one more:x . I currently have quarantine space and am hoping to find a male lovie at least two years old. I don't care if it's tame or bitey, but I absolutely refuse to pay for a bird. There are plenty of unwanted lovies in the world and I'm sure I can run accross one who needs a home if I give it a little time. The best situtation would be to get a single lovie from a one bird household with the owner willing to take the bird back if it doesn't work out, but I doubt I'll get all that.

Anyway, what does everyone think? Are there anymore suggestions?

Eliza
12-04-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm sorry to learn of Sage's passing... My heart goes out to wee Ducky but I'm sure that you and your family are doing your best to comfort him.

I don't have any advice, other than to suggest keeping an eye on Petfinder, Craigslist and Hoobly. You never know when a lovie in Oahu might need a home.

Best of luck,

-e-

bellarains
12-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Laura,

Out of 19 lovies, none of them want to hook up with little Ducky???? Oh well, I'm sure one will "fly" into your life before too long. Maybe you can post a "Male lovie wanted" notice at your vets office? Of course, you can call your local humane society, or bird rescue also.

I hope you get little Ducky a new friend soon:)

LauraO
12-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Laura,

Out of 19 lovies, none of them want to hook up with little Ducky???? Oh well, I'm sure one will "fly" into your life before too long. Maybe you can post a "Male lovie wanted" notice at your vets office? Of course, you can call your local humane society, or bird rescue also.

I know it's hard to believe but I don't have any lovies Ducky could hook up with. The only unattached lovies I have are our two black masked lovebirds and I doubt either will want anything to do with Ducky. Zimber is a widower as well, but he's very particular and pretty much hangs out with my husband and I. Olive, the other masked lovie has some serious social/personality problems. She's in love with our Meyer's Cookie and cares nothing for the other birds.

Hmmmmmm. I may actually let Ducky hang out with Zimber for a bit to see if they will hook up, but I won't count on that turning into anything. Zimber doesn't live with the other birds. He's too sensative and our oldest bird who is with us whenever we are home and he sleeps in a basket on the banister next to our room. So I will let just Ducky out when I get the chance and see how things go. I'm a little worried cause as much as Zimber hates being with the other flock, Ducky loves it.

I checked the humane society today, but they had no birds. I called one person who runs accross lovies and will call two other people I know. I thinks it's just a matter of time.

Anyway, Ducky is one sweet thing and deserves to have a friend