PDA

View Full Version : I think he needs a mate....

cprcheetah
12-06-2006, 10:45 PM
Ok....Kermit tonight has decided to take it to the next level....he's fanning, pawing at his beak/face, whistling, showing his feathers, wiggling his tail......so maybe I need to go find him a girlfriend. My husband is rolling on the floor here. He's been doing it continually for the past 5 minutes.....so here's my next question....how do I find a compatable mate? A female? We know he's a boy. I know I've seen the pelvic width or something....can someone explain? Also how do we go about DNA sex testing his new mate??? I'm so new to this aspect of birds. He is getting worse and worse (with his mating ritual) each night.

kimsbirds
12-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Since Kermit has bonded with you as his mate, getting him another bird might not do anything. He could see the newcomer as a threat or an outsider and ignore it, or fight it off.
If he does accept a new bird, a hen needs to be at the very minimum, 12 months of age to breed (AND BREED THEY WILL)!!!!
This being said, if you get a mature female and Kermit doesn't meet her expectations, you could find Kermit very injured or dead from the hen's frustration levels.
Seperate cages and quarantine is first and foremost.

Some breeders sell birds banded/DNA'ed already. If you find one you need to DNA either have an avian vet do it, another breeder, or do it yourself via healthgene.com or avianbiotech.com
This last method involves clipping a toenail too short to squeeze out a few drops of blood, or plucking several fresh chest feathers with bulb intact. Send it off with your pkg you received from either healthgene or avianbiotech, with payment, and they will let you know the results in a few days.
Think long and hard before you venture into breeding....
Another option and a much safer one, would be another DNA'ed male.
Male/male pairs are the least likely to have fighting issues.

Best Wishes
Kim

cprcheetah
12-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Since Kermit has bonded with you as his mate, getting him another bird might not do anything. He could see the newcomer as a threat or an outsider and ignore it, or fight it off.
If he does accept a new bird, a hen needs to be at the very minimum, 12 months of age to breed (AND BREED THEY WILL)!!!!
This being said, if you get a mature female and Kermit doesn't meet her expectations, you could find Kermit very injured or dead from the hen's frustration levels.
Seperate cages and quarantine is first and foremost.

Some breeders sell birds banded/DNA'ed already. If you find one you need to DNA either have an avian vet do it, another breeder, or do it yourself via healthgene.com or avianbiotech.com
This last method involves clipping a toenail too short to squeeze out a few drops of blood, or plucking several fresh chest feathers with bulb intact. Send it off with your pkg you received from either healthgene or avianbiotech, with payment, and they will let you know the results in a few days.
Think long and hard before you venture into breeding....
Another option and a much safer one, would be another DNA'ed male.
Male/male pairs are the least likely to have fighting issues.

Best Wishes
Kim

Will they court each other as male to male? Wouldn't that cause problems if they are both courting each other? How long do I quarantine them? and what do I do to help relieve poor Kermits anxiety?

kimsbirds
12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Even in a male/male partnership, one will assume the role of male, and one will assume the role of female. One dominant, one submissive, if you will.
Self-gratification is likely for one, or both.
But, they'll have each other, you won't have babies coming out your ears, and everyone will be happy LOL
Be aware too, that if you do get Kermit a friend, and he does accept that bird, you might not be the object of his affection anymore...you might lose the bond you have with him....then again, you might also gain the bond of another lovie...and thats' not a bad thing !:)
It'll all depend on their reactions to each other, and the amount of time you spend with both birds individually to retain the bond you've already formed.
We can't make your decision, but we can inform you of all the possibilities, and that way, you make your choice being well-aware of all the issues.:)
Quarantine is minimum of 30 days, seperate rooms, seperate floors if at all possible....
Kermit's likely to find an object of affection (you, a toy, your ear, your finger, a stuffed animal etc) and will regurgitate/mate with it. Oh JOY ! LOL

cprcheetah
12-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Next question....since he's a peach faced green, is that they only type of mate I should get for him in case they breed? Are any other peach face colors acceptable?

kimsbirds
12-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Absolutely! Staying within the peachface family is the only limitation you have for reasons of breeding issues. If you eventually end up with babies, you'll not want a fischer or mask as a mate for Kermit.
Remember too, that Dutch Blue, Creamino, Olive, Lutino, Whiteface, Seagreen, are ALL members of the peachface mutation family.

K

zlatushka
12-06-2006, 11:55 PM
If you do decide to go ahead and get him a friend, I would very seriously recommend asking Eric (Keltoth here on the board) if he has any birds available. He really keeps a nice aviary and all his birds are fabulous. I got my second bird from him and she's a sweetheart.

Still do think about all the good advice Kim has already presented...It's possible that you could get him a friend, and they never take to one another. Doesn't mean that's necessarily bad, just that you should be prepared for that eventuality.

cprcheetah
12-07-2006, 12:05 AM
Thank-you Rachel. I just worry cause he is progressing so rapidly with his behaviors. He did his fluttery thing for about 5 minutes straight tonight. I tried not to encourage him but....didn't work. I want to get one probably as soon as I can so I can get it in quarantine away from him and such. I will look into Erics birds. I have seen his site and they are all VERY pretty.

LauraO
12-07-2006, 01:40 AM
It's just my :2cents:, but I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get Kermit a mate. He is still getting used to his new home and family and this is a time for your family to bond with him. I have a lot of lovebirds who self gratify and get all itchy and scratchy but have mates. So getting Kermit a friend would not guarantee he would stop his lovie behavior.

I also wanted to point out that same sex couples are all different. I have had two male pairs bond strongly and none of the birds were more dominant then their mate. One pair did the swishy together on the stuffed bear and the other two would self gratify or take turns spreaking their wings>o . There are also pairs who play well together but don't like each other "that" way.

Asue
12-07-2006, 07:22 AM
IMO, if you are wanting a second bird... it should be mostly because you want a second bird. If you end up getting another lovie and Kermit ( other the new comer ) reject the other, then you have a second bird to house and bond with.
The name Lovebird is very misleading, in some cases they can be so aggressive with each other that you can be fine one night and have a dead or injured bird in the morning.

I had a friend drop/abandon her cockatiel with me for several months. :(
Long story short... My lovie liked the company, as long as they were in their own cages.

cprcheetah
12-08-2006, 12:06 AM
We had talked about getting a second Lovebird. In fact had decided on it, but were going to wait until we move (February) but I don't want Kermit to have to be frustrated. I am trying to do what's healthiest for Kermit. I know that he has had a mate in the past that he was highly bonded too. I think for now it is the best think for Kermit. I will research more about it and will take the proper steps to ensure both birds are compatable.

LauraO
12-08-2006, 01:26 AM
We had talked about getting a second Lovebird. In fact had decided on it, but were going to wait until we move (February) but I don't want Kermit to have to be frustrated. I am trying to do what's healthiest for Kermit. I know that he has had a mate in the past that he was highly bonded too. I think for now it is the best think for Kermit. I will research more about it and will take the proper steps to ensure both birds are compatable.

I think it's really great if you and your family have decided on another lovebird. I know many of us are cautious when people jump head first into getting a bunch of lovies quick because there are so many things that can happen and go wrong. If Kermit's had a mate in the past he may like another friend and I think it's great that you're researching it and taking your time. I'm currently looking for another friend for our lovie Ducky who recently lost his mate. I'm taking my time and looking for an older lovie as my experience is older lovies don't really like the young babies.

Good Luck to you and Kermit:D