PDA

View Full Version : Another experimental dinner.

Asue
12-11-2006, 01:59 PM
:cool: Since the Corned Beef wasn't such a disaster, I decided to try a Salmon dish tonight. :p

Fresh from Publix, not frozen. I think I have less than two lbs in Salmon.
I'm going to look up some recipes, but anyone feel free to drop off some Salmon dish ideas. I guess I plan on rice and some veggie for a side. Love rice. ;)

I'm not a "cooking" girl. I burn cheese toast if I'm not paying 100% attention. :rofl:

snowboardmandy
12-11-2006, 03:26 PM
mmm, salmon. now that i live in alaska we have a freezer full of the stuff! i love it, and i'm normally not a fish eater.

we bake it in the oven at 400 in tinfoil....just add some lemon juice and spices of some sort...we use caesar salad dressing, and pepper...soo tasty!

just don't overcook it...it dries out fast, and seems to cook in about 15 minutes...

we always eat it with rice too :)

Eliza
12-11-2006, 05:25 PM
I usually do salmon much like Mandy recommended ;) I like to sprinkle salmon steaks or fillets with fresh or dried dill, squeeze some lemon juice over it and then add some thinly sliced lemon. Wrap in foil and in about 15-20 minutes, you've got a yummy meal. You can also grill it in much the same fashion. Anyhoodle, growing up Mum would serve us grilled salmon w/ a wild rice pilaf, cucumber salad and grilled veggies. NUMMA!

Sometimes I'll simply flake baked salmon over salad greens. Or I'll mix flaked salmon with some pasta, fresh or dried dill and a little bit of light mayo.

Or you could try Salmon patties. My mother made them using canned salmon but fresh is all that much better:

Salmon Croquettes - Associated Press recipe

1 # boneless, skinless cooked salmon
1 ½ cups mashed potatoes
½ cup frozen peas
zest of 1 lemon
1 TB Dijon mustard
1 TB hot sauce (optional)
½ tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 TB chopped fresh parsley
1 cup bread crumbs
Olive oil cooking spray

Add’l - tarter sauce, for serving

Flake the salmon into a large bowl. Add potatoes, peas, lemon zest, mustard, hot sauce, salt, pepper and parsley. Hand mix. Form into 8 patties. Spread the bread crumbs on a plate. Set each patty into the bread crumbs, flipping to coat both sides. Coat a skillet with cooking spray and heat over a medium flame. Two or 3 at a time, cook the patties about 4 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Serve with tartar sauce.

Serves 4 - two patties apiece.

I haven't tried this recipe yet but it looks fairly simple. They would probably be quite good on a roll with lettuce and tomato. I have come across similar versions in cookbooks from Nigella Lawson and Food & Wine Magazine.

Asue
12-12-2006, 08:04 AM
We steamed the Salmon. Poured lemon pepper and such on it and ate it with red mashed potatoes and some greenbeans.

I think I got this "cooking" thing down! lol