PDA

View Full Version : Tame an adult?

lilwonder512
12-19-2006, 02:29 AM
I apologize if this question has been asked already.. i had looked in the resource library and did a search but couldnt find anything. i have a young adult lovie who will not let me put my hand anywhere near him. he has definitely gotten more used to me and if he's is flying around the house and i go near him, he doesn't fly away. but whether he is loose or in the cage, if i put my hand near him, he goes insane. :( i would love to be able to tame him. i know it's hard when they're adults, but i'd love to try because i would love to be able to hold him (he's just so cute! lol) please help!!! :blush:

Elle
12-19-2006, 09:47 AM
Hi,

It takes a lot more dedication and patience to tame an adult lovebird but it's not impossible. I've done it many times with great results.

My second lovebird, Sam was an adult when I first got her and not tamed at all. The store concept of hand fed meant that someone actually had to put clean dishes in the cage. No seed dispenser.:lol It took about a year of dedicated hard work and a lot of perseverence. One day, Sam just landed on my shoulder of her own will and that was it. She bonded with me and no one could change that.

Make sure your baby is clipped. It will help a lot.

Best regards,

Lindades264
12-19-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi, my Johnny was not tame when I got him either. It really did not take that long to get him used to me. Take your time, talk softly to him, and offer him treats from your hand. Johnny is still hand shy, but loves to sit on my shoulder. He is also good at the 'step up' once I have had him out and he is with me for awhile. Your bird just needs to know that you love him and he can trust you. (I got Johnny when he was one and now he is three). I am sure it will work out fine for the two of you. Hope this helps.

Teri
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
I've had my lovie for a month now and he's 5 months old. I know it's a bit different with adults but when I got Cooper he was very afraid of me. I started by sitting near his cage and talking to him then after he seemed like he was curious and listening to me I sat with my arm in his cage at night while watching TV. I would inch slowly towards him till he got uncomfortable and then stop there. After about the 1st week I began doin the same with a wooden dowel. He quickly became unafraid of the wooden dowel and now steps onto it (semi-regularly, he's still learning). I use the dowel to tansport him place to place cause he still hates hands and bites. Once he was comfortable out of his cage he hopped onto my lap one day on his own and this is the stage we're at currently. Many ppl suggest taking the bird away from it's cage in a quiet safe room and sitting on the floor with your bird letitng it explore the room and u. By taking the bird away from it's cage u become the only thing familiar to the lil fella and therefore the safest thing in the room. Many people suggest doing this in the bathroom with mirrors covered and toilet lids closed. Usually this room is suggested cause there's not alot for the birdie to run and hide under. good luck!

Janie
12-19-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree with the above replies. I absolutely think it can be done 90% of the time if you have enough time and patience. It might take six months or even a year but I do think you can tame him, at least to some degree.