PDA

View Full Version : why is she eating her paper?

pertiebirdie
12-19-2006, 02:25 PM
i have been changing the paper every day, sometimes every other day, and i haven't noticed her eating her poop, but she is starting to eat her paper like crazy! would she just like a shredder toy or is she hungry or what? she has veggies in her dish in the morning and then a seed mix later in the day and also a cuttlebone and a mineral block in her cage. is there something i am missing or does she just enjoy shredding the paper?

:confused:

bellarains
12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Hens in particular will chew/shred paper to make a nest. If you don't have a grate in your cage, that is what I would look for. A grate prevents them from getting to the paper, and will also solve some of your poop eating issues.

pertiebirdie
12-19-2006, 06:57 PM
well i do have a grate but somehow she manages to grab wrinkles in the paper or something and pull it up and shred it. i didn't know that they made nests that way! >o that's good to know! she doesn't eat her poop so much it is just the paper eating. she will shred it but then i will see her chewing on it and stuff too.

Z28Taxman
12-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Ditto loves to make spitballs. He'll tear a strip of paper and chew it into a little ball, spit it out and then make another.:rofl:

Tango's_Mom
12-19-2006, 09:11 PM
Ditto loves to make spitballs. He'll tear a strip of paper and chew it into a little ball, spit it out and then make another.:rofl:

Tango does this too:rotfl:

Have a safe and happy holiday season
:cold: :holi: :snow2:

LauraO
12-20-2006, 04:04 PM
When I first had lovebirds I would put the paper on the bottom of the cage. I never had any problems cause my first four lovies were males. Once hens came into the picture I had to start putting the paper under the grate to keep them from chewing it up. Now I even clip the trays in a way to secure the area cause my hens figured out how to go under the cages and push the trays out or they would squeeze through the small area to get in between the grate and the tray:x .

graushill
12-21-2006, 01:34 AM
Yep, hens are determined little souls :santa2:. I have 2 hens, one that is about four years old and one that is 9 months old and boy are they different from the males in their chewing powress. If your hen is young and/or you don't want her to get nesty and possibly start laying eggs, limiting her access to shreddy material is probably be a good thing. :2cents:.

:holi: from :cold: Sweden!

Gloria