PDA

View Full Version : More Bizarre Behavior

dmj64
12-22-2006, 10:21 PM
Hello

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment because I got my Blue Girl a new buddy yesterday. We allowed them to meet beforehand and they right away started singing to each other, so I guessed that they would be a good pair. I intended to keep them separate for awhile, but they were so antsy to get together that I gave in and put them in the same cage today.

They immediately started doing the dance, raising and flapping their wings to one another and circling around each other at the bottom of the cage. Blue Girl then raised her wings, raised her tail feathers and the new guy clearly attempted to mount up, but was pretty clumsy. All this happened within minutes of putting them in a cage together. (The new lovie's sex is unknown, but around the same age; probably a little younger)

Blue Girl is a confirmed hen and has "mated" with a previous partner who was also a confirmed hen (ILM).

Now, as the day has worn on, Blue Girl is being dominant, I separated them once, and they started desparately squawking for one another, so I put them in another cage and they calmed down.

Oh boy, good news: I just checked them and they are preening each other!:happy:

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Dennis

shylevon
12-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Any thoughts on Quarantine???

Seems you are endangering the life of both your birds.

LauraO
12-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Dennis: It is very important that all new birds have at least a 30 day quarantine to ensure the health of the new bird and to protect both birds against disease. The only exception is if the new bird was the only bird in the household, had not had any contact with other birds for at least 90 days and had regular vet checks. Since you have foregone quarantine I suggest you take the new bird in for a well bird exam to ensure that he/she is healthy and not a threat to Blue Girl. We've had some of our existing flock develop infections that forced us to treat our whole flock so disease transmission is very real and dangerous...I am wondering where you got Blue Girl's new friend?

I am glad you found a new friend for Blue Girl. Since she is already displaying mating behavior, it's important that you offer her a diet rich in calcium, which includes eggs, kale and other calcium rich foods to help guard against anymore egg binding. I would also offer a mineral block and some cuddlebone.

Remember to fill the cage with toys and those toys should not be shredeable. I would also make sure the birds have no house or nestbox as this only encourages breeding. With plenty of toys and other activities, breeding can sometimes be put on hold.

Good luck to you and Blue Girl. I hope she has a new forever friend :)

Asue
12-23-2006, 01:46 PM
I've got a rep for being "paranoid" :lol when it comes to bio-security. Even if I'm in the same building as foriegn birds, I try not to go home and touch/get near Mikey til I've changed my clothes and washed my hands... at least. 8)

Its hard to keep new birds in quarrentine when it seems all they want is to play with each other, but it's really sound advice and much cheaper when it comes to keeping our fids healthy and happy than a vet visit with negitive results ( PBFD, New Castle, and such ).

Even if they seem to be mating, you could have a female/female pair. :omg:
The second bird ( if female ) could be assuming the "male" partner role.
Or vice versa. My mother-in-law's had a pair of females, when one female died, the bird left behind started laying eggs. :lol Guess she's trying to "make" her another friend. :lol
Also, I'd keep an eye out if your going to house them together indefinately. The cage should be large enough ( actually a lot bigger than "enough" ) for each bird to cohabit peacefully. Birds get grumpy too, and there should be space for the other bird to run to if the rommie is grumpy. lol

hungrycorgi
12-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm glad they seem to be enjoying eachothers company for the most part so far! You're doing a good job by keeping an eye on them and observing them. I put my female in with my male after an amount of time, and although they like eachother, they get into little 'tiffs' and spats. Sometimes one gets sick of the other preening it too much, or one wants its' space on a perch or swing. That is why it is an excellent idea to have as big of a cage as you can for the two to have their own space if need be. When my lovies start squawking at eachother, I make sure that they arent biting, (they havent since I put them together, but it is good to observe them!) and if they get to noisy I clap my hands and distract them. This usually ends things and they go about their business. I think you are being a good bird 'dad', and just keep an eye on them. They are going through an adjustment phase and still getting to know eachother. It's similar to going to college, living in the dorms and getting a roommate. Everyone has to get used to eachothers quirks and habits. Keep us posted as to how things are going and good luck!

dmj64
12-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I consider myself officially scolded. I knew all about quarantine from browsing this forum, but for my own selfish reasons, disregarded it.

I now have no choice but to schedule exams for both of them. Fortunately, there is a good avian vet nearby.

ottermom
12-23-2006, 10:03 PM
God Bless you, good luck! I read your sad PinkFace story. Maybe you'll break the curse by giving the new birdy a different name! You could hold a contect here to pick a new name or something.

Our thoughts are with you this season for a success story for you you and BlueGirl