PDA

View Full Version : Explain this: Scared bird, brave to the piano fingers

Starstreams
12-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!

This is amazing, I dont' understand it; I’ve had my birds about two months and can not get anywhere near them with my hands. They have actuary let me kiss them a few times but they freak if I get my hands near them. Well this morning when they where out I was playing a soft piano melody. One of the birds was fascinated by my fingers and few down on the piano. I was shocked. He was steering at my fingers while moving closer…. and closer to them till he was almost standing on my keys directly in front of my fingers.
I notice they like it when I sing to them but this whole piano thing just blew my mind.

LauraO
12-23-2006, 12:16 PM
I think you've stumbled onto a great way to work on your birds' fear of hands. I'm thinking they just see the hands as unthreatening and doing something intriguing so are more curious than terrified. I would continue to work their curiousness whenever possible. In the meantime, I would work on getting them to step up on a dowel/perch if they aren't perch trained. This will further keep you from having to use your hands to manage the birds and they will have only positive encounters with them as you play the piano.

Congrat on this BIG step :happy: :happy:

Tango's_Mom
12-23-2006, 03:52 PM
Tango is funny like that too, he is still afraid of hands, but getting better (I've had him six months) but it always seemed that he would be willing to walk down onto my hands as long as I was typing on my laptop, he now lets me stroke him sometimes but will not sit on my hands. I think your bird is probably making good progress if it's willing to inspect your hands while you're playing the piano

Asue
12-23-2006, 04:15 PM
I think it's more curiosity than bravery. :lol It's a great way to let them learn that you aren't going to eat them. ;)
Mikey isn't allowed to be near the computer anymore... he likes to try and rip the keys off the keyboard. :(

Starstreams
12-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Ya, the only thing is that I don't want them going to the bathroom on my keys and having that stuff falling in-between the keys. When ever I let them out I know where they fly so I usually line my room with old towels so they don't go all over my carpet. I told them they should start using the washroom from now on but they just look at me funny :D
The other thing is, I don't understand why by birds never smile, they are so serious looking. :D

Zorro
12-24-2006, 02:32 AM
What an interesting way to get your birds used to seeing your hands in a nonthreatening way! It took a year of daily handling for my lovie to finally accept that my hands/fingers weren't threatening. It just kind of happened over time. Now she's my buddy.

Buy A Paper Doll
12-24-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't know if this will help but my birds can not resist the sight and sound of someone drumming their fingers on a table or an armrest. They will run right over and stare, much like your birds do when you play piano.

Starstreams
12-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Nice Zorro,
Mine are actually starting to mellow out, they are starting to let me get closer, they don’t freak out as much.

Interesting Buy A Paper Doll!
Drumming is one of my instruments aside from guitar and piano, I’ll keep that info for use.

Thanks everyone! You guys are a great community for this great forum!

DebSpace
12-26-2006, 10:22 PM
I have a keyboard that I play on occasion in the birdroom and they simply LOVE it. They enjoy music and I think the music combined with their natural curiosity makes it irresistible to them. I say "GO FOR IT" and maybe one of these days they will become comfortable enough that you can work in a subtle back stroke. ;)

ottermom
12-27-2006, 04:56 AM
I play the fiddle and I used to practice in the bird room. They screetched and howled so loudly that I had to move my practice room. I'm a beginner, but I didn't think I was that bad>o

Starstreams
01-09-2007, 07:33 PM
This was so cute.
I was playing piano again tonight and the same bird that flew down the last time came up to my fingers. This time he got brave and grabbed my finger with his beak. Well the first few times he bit down kind of hard on my finger but I just kept my hands frozen. Then he kept doing it but his bites got softer and softer. I don’t know what it is about music but birds are tuned in.
This looks like it's getting better, slowly but it is! :clap:

Buy A Paper Doll
01-10-2007, 10:32 PM
I play the fiddle and I used to practice in the bird room. They screetched and howled so loudly that I had to move my practice room. I'm a beginner, but I didn't think I was that bad>o

I play the French horn. I'm actually pretty good but the birds think otherwise. When I practice there's usually a bird standing on my head screaming and flapping his wings. The other one alternates between standing on my wrist (to peek into the bell) and perching on the mouthpipe (to bite me on the lip). The dog cowers under the coffee table in the next room.

Starstreams
01-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Thats funny Paper Doll!
I can see that, they really let you know what's on thier mind

dovelady4
01-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Louie started "inspecting" my hands when I pulled out my flute. Guess he likes the music:p I don't let him out whenever I practice anymore cuz he'd always chew on the key pads or get his toys caught under the keys:rolleyes:

Purpose By Design
01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
Sydney always tries to get to my husband as soon as he hears my husband playing guitar,he tries to get as close as he can to the guitar by sitting on the neck part(i dont know if thats the right term).He just loves it.