PDA

View Full Version : ...and the Christmas Eve countdown starts!

Keltoth
12-24-2006, 02:10 PM
M'mmmmmmm! New York Rib Roast with Yorkshire puddings, carrots, red potatoes and rutabagas for Christmas Eve dinner. The Ring-A-Lings (an orange, yeast-raised pastry that Mama used to make only at Christmas; recipe can be seen here (http://www.pillsbury.com/bakeoff/recipes/showrecipe.aspx?rid=13811)) are rising on the stove for Christmas morning breakfast, the wassail is flowing freely, and the kids are all doing their cleaning chores without complaint or dissent (a rarity, I assure you). The fire in the wood-burning fireplace is keeping the sub-freezing air outside where it belongs, all four housecats are spread out in front of the stove's front door - teats-up and on their backs, feet in the air - and the 'toos are spreading their wings and screaming "HOP!" as they jump from spot to spot on their cage-top gym, enjoying the heat from the stove and the sense of excitement in the air.

The anticipation is killing me one minute, and making me feel melancholy the next when I stop to remember past Christmases with Mom. The kids are good for breaking up those moments, and their sheer, unadulterated excitement and joy that they feel for the approach of Christmas Day is utterly contagious. Does life ever get any sweeter than in the hours leading up to Christmas morning when you are safe and warm at home with your spouse and children? Maybe; but not very often, and not with such yearly, calander-setting consistency.

I wish I could have all of you over for dinner and a cup tonight. God bless and keep all of you this Christmas. :cand:

- Eric

bellarains
12-24-2006, 04:14 PM
Eric,

That sounds absolutely wonderful. I would love a cup of that wassail. Just think of me there when you raise your cup, and imagine me raising mine, and wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas, and a prosperous, happy New Year:bell:

zlatushka
12-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Sounds great... :) We'll be making our cider tonight, reading the Christmas story out and then playing games till it's time for bed like Scrabble (including the ever popular "Phonetic Scrabble") and Pinochle and the ancient Pirate and Traveller, whose board is so well loved it's in three pieces now (scant wonder since it's like 100 years old LOL) . We are making one change to our normal routine tomorrow...we're going to try those yummy looking ring-a-lings! :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Keltoth
12-24-2006, 04:44 PM
We are making one change to our normal routine tomorrow...we're going to try those yummy looking ring-a-lings! :)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Very cool. The Ring-A-Lings are labor-intensive, but SO worth the effort. If you are going to make them and have a bread-making machine, mix up your dough in that; it makes the whole process MUCH easier. Also, when you make the glaze, TRIPLE the amount the recipe calls for, and don't be stingy with it when you glaze the rolls at the end - it really makes them a whole lot better.

"Pirate and Traveler", eh? I've never heard of that game. Sounds like my family has no corner on the market for Christmas tradition. :elf:

I miss young kids in the house for Christmas morning. I envy you, Rachel, for the Christmas you will have tomarrow and the Christmases you still have in front of you.

- Eric

Janie
12-24-2006, 05:52 PM
. Does life ever get any sweeter than in the hours leading up to Christmas morning when you are safe and warm at home with your spouse and children? Maybe; but not very often, and not with such yearly, calander-setting consistency.

- Eric

You said it! It never gets better than that complete and total excitement and especially in the eyes of children. My boys are 24 and 21 but Santa ain't counting age and they still believe! :D