PDA

View Full Version : info on ferrets?

romeoandjulietlovies06
12-30-2006, 03:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone on this site knew of a good website to look at for information on ferrets. I have been wanting one for a while but since i have romeo and juliet and my mom doesn't like them i'm not going to be getting one for a long time. I just want to do my research on them to find out if they are really the type of pet i want before i go out and get one and then decide that they aren't for me. I want to be well educated about them that way if and when i get one they will have a good home. Please and thanks.

bellarains
12-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Miranda,

I don't know much about ferrets, but I do know that they are predators to birds. I'm not saying it's impossible to have both, but beware, birdies are a food source to them:omg:

romeoandjulietlovies06
12-30-2006, 03:55 PM
i'm going off to college this fall so my mom is going to keep my birds. but i was going to get a ferret when i was in my 3rd or 4th year of college when i can get an apartment so they won't be in the same house together.

Cathy
12-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Miranda, have you ever smelled a ferret cage? euuuuu yuk!

Have you considered taking your lovebirds with you? They sound like they should be your first consideration. Sorry for the bluntness, but does your mom like your lovebirds or have time to spend with them? I know that my youngest son has a lot more time in college than I do teaching.

linda040899
12-30-2006, 09:05 PM
When I was breeding Cockatiels, a vet tech persuaded me to sell him on of my young Pearl females. He owned a ferret and swore that the two of them would never occupy the same air space. Three months later, I got a phone call. The ferret managed to get into the Tiel's room and it killed her (her flight feathers had been clipped). He wanted another Tiel and I told him no! Not only are ferrets predators. They stalk their prey and don't give up until they get what they want.

romeoandjulietlovies06
12-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Yes she loves my lovebirds and she has already told me like with my dog i can have visiting rights(lol) but she will become to attached to them for her to give them back to me. (lol) where i'm going to college they don't allow pets in the dorms and i will be in college for 8 years because i want to become an equine vet. Yep i have smelled a ferrets cage. my neighbor has a ferret and when they go on vacation i "babysit" her ferret and her two dogs. I'm not dead sit on getting a ferret i just want to learn about them that why if the time comes it won't be a spur of the moment kinda thing. The first thing that i will do is if my mom does like me have my babies back is put their safty first because i would not want to put them in any harm. It's so funny how they bury themselves deep in your heart even after just a short time of having them.

bird_luver24
12-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Ferrets are Wonderful!!!!
But, I do agree your Lovebirds should come first most definately!!! One day your are going to want to move out into your own place and have to take your ferret and Lovebirds with you and you cant always 100% Gurantee that your ferret & lovebirds wont meet at some point.

My Friend Owned a ferret and he was the sweetest thing EVER!! He was so smart and would follow you around like a little puppy lol BUT, She had to give this ferret up. The ferret was giving the Cat something I cant remember what it was right now but, it was Making the cat so sick and no one knew why. She took the cat to the vet as the cat was getting REALLY skinny and his fur started to look dingy and was falling out some (As Casey is a Himalayan usually with a BIG BEAUTIFUL Coat!) So, We ended up finding the Ferret a Loving Home where he is the Only pet in his household now. Not that it has to much to do with Lovebirds but, thought I would tell the story.

And if you have babysitted Ferrets before then you should have an idea about them...Ferrets require time, money, and TLC like any other Animal. That is something else to conciderate if you get one is the Ferret. You being busy with college all the time!! You are going to be busy with home work, friends, and possibly having a job to.

Eliza
01-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Please consider taking the lovies to college -- I loved having my budgies as roomies! I lucked out and went to a college that allowed small birds and fish in both the dorms and apartments.

During my last year of college, I had 2 budgies and a ferret. One of my roomies in college had a ferret as well and thankfully, we never had any incidents w/ the birds or the ferrets. They were kept in seperate rooms (the birds in the living room, the ferrets in the bedroom) so that might have helped.

I've read of MANY incidents were ferrets have escaped their cages and either injured or killed other animals: all manner of birds, rabbits, hamsters, etc.

That said, ferrets can make WONDERFUL pets. And contrary to popular belief, they don't outright stink. Sure, their litter boxes can get a little ripe but that's the same as any cat. If you change their litter box every other day or two (or daily if you have more than one ferret), feed them properly (NO MARSHALL FERRET FOOD! NEVER MARSHALL FERRET FOOD -- it makes their poo smell horrible, like rotting fish) and bathe them on occasion (too much bathing can make them smell musker), you should be fine. Most folks visiting me didn't know I had ferrets until they were right on top of the cage, if that makes any sense.

If you do choose to bring home a ferret, PLEASE consider adopting. I know, I know -- a young ferret is about the cutest thing out there in a pet shop. There are HUNDREDS of ferrets looking for homes out there so it is really worth looking at Petfinder to find a mustelid friend. Often a rehome ferret has gotten past the nippy stage that a young, pet-store ferret is prone to.

I'm not sure of any ferret-friendly message boards of the top of my head. I do recommend reading Ferrets for Dummies, though -- it's quite good.

-e-

romeoandjulietlovies06
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
thank you Eliza i will check into that book. as far as taking my birds with me in my dorm the college is strickly 20 gallon fish tank only it is to bad because i would take them and my little chihuahua Dory with me. When i do get a chance to take them with me i will but for the first probably 3 or 4 years i won't be able to. I will probably end up not getting a ferret until i don't have any birds just to be on the safe side. If i do get one i will get one from a shelter or rescue because those animals need to have a good life to and the babies in pet shops will have no problem finding homes.

Asue
01-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Ferrets are strictly meat eating predators. They have poor eye sight and anything that moves attracts them. If their head can fit into the small space, so can their bodies. You can't really keep a ferret from doing what it wants, and their determination to get what they want, when they want.

They have very quick metabolizms, need lots of fresh water and food ( most will dig in the food bowl and scatter kibbled food everywhere ) and go potty about every fifteen to twenty minutes. They are litter box trainable, but you'll need one in almost every room if they are allowed to roam. The poop is soft and stinky ( cause the proper pelleted diet is made with fish products and oils ) and you MUST clean it up either right afterwards or let it dry abit then clean it up. Ferrets like to use corners to deficate and once they soil a spot, they almost always return to do it again. I just give up and place a litter box there. :whistle: If it's a ferret outside the cage, always use supervision. They're very curious and can get into trouble quick. Poor eye sight means they could climb up onto a shelf and easily just walk off the edge and hit the ground hard. Nails on average need to be clipped frequently unless they are allowed to wear them down naturally. NEVER, NEVER, Never declaw a ferret.

They use the tips of their claws to walk and a declawed ferret is a handicapped ferret. They like to dig into carpeted floors and anything that strikes their curiosity usually ends up destroyed. Ferret males are larger and have more broad heads, females are smaller. Most ferrets come from Marshal Farms ( I do not like this place, they are unethical in their means of ferret trade... >: ) and are fixed and de-scented before sent to pet shops.

Ferret characteristic personalities are like having a kitten ( cat ) that never grows up. Ferrets usually don't slow down/calm down til their senior years ( 5- 7 years I think ). Albinos are prone to deafness. Yawns are threats in the ferret world, laying flat on the ground means they don't want to be seen and the "war dance" is excitement ( bouncing around like a nut ;) )

Many ferrets end up homeless and abandoned because people don't understand their true nature. Get tired of the stink, or just get frustrated with the ferret as a pet. Nippy ferrets should never be picked up and dropped when they nip, it reinforces the bite behavior. Scruffing is the only way one should discipline a ferret, hitting, throwing could break a leg or fang. ( like you could ever really discipline one... :lol )

Ferrets can contract distemper, rabies and a few other diseases common in dogs and cats, and should be vaccinated accordingly, they can also contract heartworm, which is almost always fatal because their size in relation to the parasite.

Anyway, hopefully this is some info... because it's not everything I know... (take too long to type...) IMO, you should try and contact rescue orgs. and learn more about ferrets before adding on to your home. I did a few ferret rescues while working in the petshop.