PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if any of you remember me...

Starz
01-06-2007, 12:13 PM
But I was moving from Hawaii to CA at the beginning of December. Everything was all set up, had spaces on the flight reserved for my dog and lovie, Squeak. When the hubby and I arrived at the airport with kids, dog, and bird in tow to check in, they asked what kind of bird Squeak was. I proudly proclaimed that he was a lovebird. When the lady asked me if he was a finch or a parakeet, I was starting to get confused. I said, no, he's a lovebird. Then I find out that United only allows finches or parakeets on their flights! They said I could see if they had room in the cargo area for him, it would cost approximately $400!!! I had only planned for the $100 that I was originally quoted, and being in the process of moving couldn't afford another $300. I actually had to call a friend of mine to come pick Squeak up from the airport that day. I'm still so upset about the whole situation. I called the airline to reserve space for both of my pets, told the person on the phone what kind of bird Squeak was, and the guy never said anything about him not being allowed in the cabin. He quoted me $100 based on the size of Squeak's crate. My friend was able to find a good home for Squeak (she was moving just 2 weeks after I was), so I am relieved about that but still sooooo upset! I did everything I thought I was supposed to do. Sorry everyone, just had to vent to some folks who would understand. :cry:

Melissa

dovelady4
01-06-2007, 12:19 PM
I hate it when stuff like that happens. I was trying to sell a dove to a lady in Canada, but they wouldn't allow it unless I had all kinds of papers that wasn't even necessary. If peopel are going to work for something as big as an airline, they should at least know what is and is not allowed! I hope the next two weeks go by quickly for you.:cry: Standing two weeks without a pet loved by you as much as Squeak is will be tough. Just keep in mind how happy both of you will be when you're reunited again. I'm glad you could find a being nice enough to take Squeak in for the time being! God Bless

linda040899
01-06-2007, 12:20 PM
Hi Melissa,
I'm so very, very sorry to hear about this experience! Shame on the individual who made the reservation for you and didn't bother to mention the restriction involved! I'm glad that Squeak found a good home but I know if it were me, I would be very angry and miss my baby a whole lot! There is another one of our community members who is considering a move, so this information may help save some heartache in the near future! Can I ask which airline was involved in what happened?

((((((((((((((((((((((((((Melissa))))))))))))))))) ))))))))))))

Starz
01-06-2007, 12:25 PM
It was United. I have since found out that Continental has a great pet plan though (Continental Quick Pack program). I do miss Squeak terribly. It's even harder right now. Our stuff just arrived yesterday and I found a box of Squeak's toys! He went to a really good person though, I am told.

Melissa

Janie
01-06-2007, 12:32 PM
Melissa, I am so sorry to hear what happened. :( I can't even begin to imagine how I'd feel if I'd been faced with that situation. I hope you're able to keep up with Squeak and his new owner.

bellarains
01-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Melissa,

That is just awful. I know you miss him so much, but also know that you are thanful he found a good home. When you all get settled in, hopefully you will find another lovie to share your life, and that will be one lucky lovie:)

Keep in touch:D

LauraO
01-06-2007, 06:29 PM
Mellisa: Of ocurse I remember you and Squeak. I'm so very sorry to hear about your bad experience. I also appreciate you venting as it serves as a lesson to those thinking of shipping. I'm just wondering if there's any way you could get squeak sent to you?

Sorry for all the chaos!

dmj64
01-07-2007, 02:31 AM
If this happens to anyone else, why not just say, "yeah, it's a parakeet". Are any overworked airline employees going to know the difference?

bellarains
01-07-2007, 08:59 AM
OK,

I have to admit. I would have said it was a parakeet and see if I could get away with it. Of course you might run the risk of someone wanting to verify that. Not sure what kind of trouble you would get in if you lied, and got caught?

ottermom
01-07-2007, 02:33 PM
I would also be the temporary owner of a very strange looking parakeet! My Squeak sends you consolation chirps and wishes you the best!

Starz
01-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Lol, you guys. I would have if I'd known what she was getting at. As it was, I had my hands full with the dog, bird, and two very young children. We'd had tons of people come up to see both the dog and the bird and I just thought she was interested in what type of bird he was.

LauraO, about having him shipped to me. The man he went to was very excited to have him, went out and bought Squeak a very nice cage when he found out I wouldn't be able to send for him in time. Squeak is a very sweet little guy and I would feel rotten if I tried to get him back now.

Cathy
01-07-2007, 07:46 PM
I am very sorry for the confusion and frustration that you must be feeling. I understand why you can't ask for Squeak to be returned to you. I also know that you can't replace him in your heart but you might want to consider getting another lovie to help you and your children with the adjustment to your new home.

There are some excellent breeders on this forum and many more of us that know good breeders. If you are interested in finding another lovebird, please share where you are living now and someone on the board may be able to help you.

Take care and I hope that the adjustment period is much easier after this.

LauraO
01-07-2007, 09:15 PM
LauraO, about having him shipped to me. The man he went to was very excited to have him, went out and bought Squeak a very nice cage when he found out I wouldn't be able to send for him in time. Squeak is a very sweet little guy and I would feel rotten if I tried to get him back now.

This makes total sense. It's good to know someone was so excited to have him and will be taking such good care of him. I also think it's great you tried so hard to take all your pets with you. All too often people just get rid of them when they leave or move and get new ones and start the process over again.

I know it's easy for us to say you should just have told them Squeaks was a parakeet but we were not there and I'm sure if you thought of it or it was the right situation you would of said something of the kind. It sounds like it was a casual thing and being told Squeaks could go with you you had no reason to tell them he was a parakeet. Changing your story after being truthful could have resulted in bad stuff for your family and other pets.

Thanks again for letting us know about your troubles it will be helpful in the future for others.

Please keep in touch and let us know if you decide on getting another lovie

:) :) :) :)

chris631
01-07-2007, 09:23 PM
NEXT TIME LIE, JUST PLAN LIE SAY ITS A PARAKEET, A DOG, YOUR CAGED MOTHER IN LAW ETC. SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT INNOCENT PEOPLE GETTING HARRASED. I LIVED 9/11, I LOST PEOPLE, I'M FROM NY AND THE ONLY THING THATS CHANGED IS INNOCENT PEOPLE ,LIKE YOUR SELF GETTING MORE AND MORE HARRESSED. SORRY DIDN'T WANT TO GET POLICTICAL, JUST SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING ABOUT THESE STUPIED RULES AND PEOPLE GETTING SEPERATED FROM THERE LOVED ONES. GOD BLESS CHRIS