PDA

View Full Version : Stories on successful taming?

patti2297
01-08-2007, 08:06 AM
I am starting day 3 with Charlie, and it breaks my heart the way he is so scared of me. When I approach the cage he will go to the opposite end on his perch and one leg will grab the bars with the other leg staying on the perch in an attempt to become invisable I think. I know this will take patience, and I have been doing what my book suggests of sitting by the cage and blinking. He will blink back so I guess that is progress.

I was just curious if anyone else has any stories of a lovebird that they acquired that was not tame and their progress with it? I know this will take time, and I am determined he will come around and I will not give up. I am setting little goals. My first one is him taking treat (millet spray) from my fingers on the outside of cage. He will eat it if i place it in his food dish or through the bars of the cage as long as I am not attached to it. :D

He is so sweet and I am so crazy about him. Last night, he was making a sort of purring sound or grinding type sound before he went to sleep. Today, he sang so beautifully. Hopefully these are signs he is happy.

Patti

Janie
01-08-2007, 08:22 AM
Patti, check out the previous threads here:

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/search.php?searchid=45956

We've probably had more questions regarding taming a new lovebird more than any others. I know that it's hard reading about all the velcro birdies on this forum and yes, all three of mine are, but that is not always the case and especially if a bird is purchased from a pet store. Even a young handfed or socialized bird will revert back to being wild if left in a cage for a few weeks with no human interaction. That can be changed but it takes time. In my favorite book on lovebirds, Vera Appleyards' "The Lovebird Handbook" she says to allow up to six months for taming. That sounds like forever, I know, but that is what you need to be prepared for. I don't think it will take that long, especially since you have one bird who will get a lot attention, but it probably will take a few months at the least. Oliver came to me very tame but it still took months to form the bond we have now and I'm sure it was several months before he figured out he could trust me. Same thing with my other two who were hand fed and socialized, it took several months for them to accept me as part of their flock. As I mentioned before, I've read that masked are usually more shy than peachies so it might take you longer but it will happen and be worth your efforts. :)

patti2297
01-08-2007, 09:03 AM
I will check out that thread. Thank you for providing it.

Willy'smom
01-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Hello everyone. I'm new around here and have been lurking for sometime. I have only had my LB Willy since August and I am by far a novice. My story is very opposite of what I have read on this forum but I do want to share it.

Willy was my B-day present purchased from a chain pet store. I was being patient and going through the whole talk to and blink at process. I had only had him for a week when I found a somewhat local bird farm and went to purchase some additional perches. I asked the owner what my chances were of taming him and this was her suggestion .... put on 2 long sleeve shirts and tuck them in and make sure the sleeve cuffs were tight. Then catch Willy with a towel and place him in between the 2 shirts. As he was crawling around in the shirts talk to him and touch him. I did this 3 times a day for 15 minutes each time. Willy was riding on my shoulder within 3 days. It was the greytest feeling!! Once I accomplished that I started the step-up training. I placed him in the bath tub and the only way he could get out to be with me was to "step-up". It worked!! I now have the best little buddy whom I love dearly. If I am home he's riding high on my shoulders. Recently he has started going inside my shirt and just pops his head out from time to time to see what is going on. How cute!!

As in all animals each is an individual and you have to find the right approach. I just wanted to share my story.

Lisa & Willy

patti2297
01-08-2007, 10:00 AM
That is a wonderful story and I am glad it worked for you. I am not sure I could do that though. I would be afraid poor Charlie would die of a heart attack from fright.

So glad you have your little buddy!

Janie
01-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Lisa, I like your story! :D I'll be perfectly honest, there were times I "grabbed" my two and held them close, rubbing their beaks and head, and I do think they liked it. :) I don't recommend grabbing them cause I'm sure some birds would freak out and you'd have to start the taming process all over but I did with my birds what I thought would be OK and never one time did they seem in the least bit afraid of or mad at me for what I did and still do.

You're right, each one of our pets has it's own personality so what might work for one would not for another but I am very happy it worked for you and Willy! :D

Patti, if you should try this, be sure to pad your bra! :rofl: I can tell you that even a tiny little nibble, "you know where", really hurts! :whistle: Shy crawled into my sweatshirt one time when I was cleaning cages and paying no attention to where he was and what he was doing....... and he nailed me. :omg: I was caught so off guard that it's a miracle I didn't squish the life out of him! ;)

patti2297
01-08-2007, 10:30 AM
Patti, if you should try this, be sure to pad your bra! :rofl: I can tell you that even a tiny little nibble, "you know where", really hurts! :whistle: Shy crawled into my sweatshirt one time when I was cleaning cages and paying no attention to where he was and what he was doing....... and he nailed me. :omg: I was caught so off guard that it's a miracle I didn't squish the life out of him! ;)

I will keep this in mind if say a month or two down the road i see no progress. I really want to try to win him over the other way if I can. I am too big of a wimp probably to try it this way. :D

Teri
01-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Patti - I just purchased a baby blue masked in November. He's about six months old now. I bought him from a breeder handfed, but when i got him home he was scared and a horrible biter. Cooper literally left his mark on me, biting so hard I have a scar on my hand. lol not that I'm trying to scare you! The 1st month was hard for me and Coope. I was in tears many times from frustration. I was doing my best but saw little to no progress. I began to think I was one of those irresponsible pet owners who hadn't done their home work and had pruchased the baby too impulsively. Worse Cooper really was biting hard an injuring me pretty good, I felt myself becoming afraid of him and struggled against that as well. Around the beginning of Dec. I began to notice a change in Coopers behavior and my own. We are now beginning to relax with each other. A bond is forming slowly between us and although he's still bitey the severity and frequancy has notibily improved. Best of all I've become his safe place outside his cage. Whenever he's scared or uncertain with somethin in his environment he runs to me! He's no longer content to sit on his cage when he comes out to play but wants to climb on me and snuggle in my shirt. short of it is that cooper is beginnig to seek me out for contact and that's a great feeling!

I really do count it a blessing that I joined this forum. They gave me the support and knowledge i needed to get through that really difficult 1st month. If I hadn't found this place I might have rehomed Cooper because I was so afraid of failing with him when it didn't work out from the start. Don't get me wrong Cooper's far from the velcro bird I dreamed of, but we're improving together and I have hope that one day he will be. Most importantly I've realized he doesn't need to be a cuddle bug to be a pleaure to have around. Cooper is now tame enough he can come out and explore the apartment along side me while i'm doing things and we're having fun while we both slowly learn to trust and love each other just as we are.

There is no right or wrong. Take the advice given and rearrange it to match you and your birds personalities. Most of all the holy grail of all bird taming advice PATIENCE! Good luck and post pictures! :D

Janie
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Don't get me wrong Cooper's far from the velcro bird I dreamed of, but we're improving together and I have hope that one day he will be. Most importantly I've realized he doesn't need to be a cuddle bug to be a pleaure to have around. Cooper is now tame enough he can come out and explore the apartment along side me while i'm doing things and we're having fun while we both slowly learn to trust and love each other just as we are

Take the advice given and rearrange it to match you and your birds personalities. Most of all the holy grail of all bird taming advice PATIENCE!

Teri, well said! :) It's true, not all of our lovies are going to be velcro fids but that is A-OK! My second two are really tamer than I wanted them to be. :rolleyes: I wanted to be able to handle them when necessary and to be able to clean their cages and change food dishes w/o them freaking out but my plan was for them to like each other more than me. Oliver is much less of a velcro birdie since I've gotten Big Boi and Shy and I love that he often chooses to be with them instead of me. It's great fun watching them be birds! :D

Yep, patience is at the top of the taming list! :)

patti2297
01-08-2007, 04:04 PM
Thank you Teri,

That gives me comfort. I tried sitting by Charlie this afternoon and read. My book recommends that, and now it is almost like Charlie is throwing a temper tantrum. He is fluttering about the cage, climbing walls in front, knocking his dish down, and chirping at me like crazy. I caught him sort of sitting in his water dish so now I have a small shallow bowl of water on his grate, but something tells me that is not what he wants. He really acts like he wants out, yet if I approach he is still timid. :D Maybe it is my imagination he wants something or maybe this is normal lovebird behavior and I simply don't know what normal is. Hehe I hope I am trainable!

Patti

birdlover
01-20-2007, 04:35 PM
hey ive just got new blue peachies and ive had some success they will sit on my sholder n hand yay

Janie
01-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Heather, I have to add that each lovie has it's own personality and while your methods are working well for you, they might not with another bird. I am also one that feels the need to "go for it" but that really can back-fire and set back the taming progress with some birds. I have three that didn't object to my "in your face" approach but each one was already tame when I got them so holding them close and petting their beaks and heads did not scare them.

You'd had Kooper for two months already before trying that approach and even though she/he was still not tame, he'd had a lot of time to settle in and get used to his surroundings. I think that makes a difference. Patti has had Charlie for just over 2 weeks, not really enough time for him to feel at home yet.

patti2297
01-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Yes I agree with what you said Janie. I am beginning to get a bit inpatient, but I am trying to remind myself that I have only had him 2 weeks. I have debated with just going for it, grabbing him quickly (before he realizes it), and petting and cuddling with him, but I am so afraid of it backfiring and making matters worse that I have not done this. I think I will continue to take it slow for a couple more weeks and see how things go.

I do appreciate your input Heather and I am very glad things are working out for you.

I also have to add that I am still getting use to Charlie. Getting use to his sounds and activies is a learning experience on my part too. For example, I didn't realize he would, at times be so loud. In the mornings lately (the last 3-4 days maybe) he has developed an annoying habit of squaking/screaming and climbing all over the cage. I am figuring out it is something to do with his food, and it has me changing it numerous times to see if that will make him happy, but today I figured out that I might just be encouraging this type of behavior so from now on (as hard as it may be), if I know he has clean water and his food dish has been filled then I am going to have to learn to ignore this behavior. However, it can be difficult when I am working and he is in my office. :D