PDA

View Full Version : Introducing to shower

CaptMicha
01-09-2007, 02:37 PM
I want to introduce Daisy and Clover to the shower but if I can even get them to perch on a shower perch, I'm pretty sure they would get freaked out and try to take off when I turn the shower on. If I have the shower on, I won't be able to get them in the shower.

Their wings are clipped though. And they do enjoy and good bath.

Nyghtraven
01-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Have you tried the mist in the shower idea yet? Maybe that might help. I can't even get my lovie to get close to the water before he starts to freak out, lol. I've tried the whole mist bottle and he hates it. So.. I'm not positive this might help, but who knows they might just enjoy it :)

linda040899
01-09-2007, 03:10 PM
Bathrooms are literal havens for E-coli and a multitude of other bacteria so the only birds that bathe in my bathroom are my macaws. Macaws are too large for sinks and things really get wet if they bathe anywhere else. Water flies everywhere anyway but that's what happens when larger parrots are part of any flock! Needless to say, my bathroom gets cleaned quite often........... :rolleyes:

wilkiecoco
01-09-2007, 04:02 PM
i tried once to see if kiwi would like the shower thing, and he was so frightened, I NEVER did it again. To me, it seemed as if he was too small for the area and the water pressure, even with a perch. He really enjoys a bath in a bowl filled with water, or a kitchen sink with the water gently running.

Nyghtraven
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
So.. how exatcly did you guys get your bird to freely bathe in a bowl.... My lovie is still very terrified of the water for some odd reason... How should I come about it.. I've already tried the mist spray... he ran away lol

p.s
-Takes time. For a lovie to adjust... Should have read other forums before asking sorry ^.^; lol

CaptMicha
01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
I guess it's just a big bird thing.

Birds are drawn to the sound of running water. Fill a shallow dish with cool water and tickle it with your fingers and pour the water from your hand back into it. They should get curious and come over to investigate.

Try holding out a wet hand to them, mine like to lick water off my hands. After that, working on filling your hands with water place them on the ground and have your bird come and investigate. Some birds will bath in your hands. It's really cool.

She should get into the bath mode since flocks will usually bath together. If one of my birds decides it's time to take a dip in the bird bath, the other will follow suit in the other cage.

Just things like that should get them interested and ready to try it.

LauraO
01-10-2007, 02:57 AM
My lovies don't really like the shower water though some like to hang out on the rod while I'm showering. You could try putting them on the perch and using a water bottle to mist them. You just point the tip up and the water falls on the birdies like rain. This is so much fun in my house cause baths are contagious and a buch a birdies will want to get misted once on birdy shows interest......I would be careful using the shower with clipped birds. If they fall to the bottom for even a second with the shower going bad stuff could happen.

Keltoth
01-10-2007, 07:14 AM
Bathrooms are literal havens for E-coli and a multitude of other bacteria so the only birds that bathe in my bathroom are my macaws.

WOW :omg: ! I never thought of it in those termsbefore. I guess I'm going to have to stop showering my birds in the tub... :(

- Eric