PDA

View Full Version : Parrot's oratory stuns scientists

Keltoth
01-10-2007, 10:21 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3430481.stm

What a great news-story! Just another example of how parrots are a whole lot more intelligent than the majority of people believe they are...

- Eric

DebSpace
01-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Great story!:happy:

Janie
01-11-2007, 08:24 AM
This is the very kind of story that makes me want an AG! Just incredible how intelligent they are! I don't think I'm smart enough to keep up with one! :D

wilkiecoco
01-11-2007, 11:17 AM
there was a show on animal planet a few months ago showing this AG and her owner. it was absolutely amazing to see the grey communicate verbally using such a wide range of sentences and words. i was smitten from that moment on with greys!!!!!

it still puzzles and frustrates me when non-bird people wonder and ask, why am i spending so much time giving my attention and devotion to "just a bird" >: i figure it is their loss not knowing the intelligence and loving nature of these beautiful creatures.

sdgilley
01-11-2007, 11:34 AM
What a great article! It makes me want to go home and play with my birds!
One part that struck a chord with me:

Alison Hales, of the World Parrot Trust, told BBC News Online: "N'kisi's amazing vocabulary and sense of humour should make everyone who has a pet parrot consider whether they are meeting its needs.
Thanks for sharing the article. :)

Kathryn
01-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Wonderful article and marvelous parrot!!! His owner must spend lots of time communicating with this lovely AG.
Thank you for sharing the story....I'm running out to the bird room again!!

RicosPoppy
01-11-2007, 11:49 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3430481.stm

What a great news-story! Just another example of how parrots are a whole lot more intelligent than the majority of people...

- Eric

I had to edit your quote to make it a little more accurate.... :wink:

Tango's_Mom
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
RicosPoppy -:rofl: :rotfl: :rofl::rotfl: :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl::rotfl: :clap:

That's really amazing, but hey, I'd be astounded and thrilled if I could just get Tango to spit a couple of words back at me, then again, if I start him talking, he may end up like me.....and never shut up:p

Finnysmommie
01-12-2007, 03:18 AM
I also saw the show with this AG on it and was just amazed! It really made me want an AG also. I wonder how Finny and Reilly would like having a BIG brother or sister? If you get the chance to watch this show you really should. Of course it is only verifying what we all knew all along...Parrots are awesome in any shape, color or size!!!!

Finny n Reillys Mommie

Kathryn
01-12-2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.sheldrake.org/nkisi/
This site had an article on the N'kisi project.
I googled N'kisi and came up with several interesting info sites.
Wonderful bird and the owner's strategy is described in the project.

LauraO
01-12-2007, 07:19 PM
Just incredible how intelligent they are! I don't think I'm smart enough to keep up with one! :D

All too often I feel like Mijo has outplayed or outwited me in one way or another:rolleyes: . He is a very intelligent, complex, and funny guy who I appreciate everyday!

I saw the show they were speaking about some time ago. The amazing thing about the chimp comment was the grey had never met Jane Goodall before and remembered her from pics and the television.

mandy
01-13-2007, 08:40 PM
Amazing! however i do not have the time nor the money to get an AG...

Cathy
01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
That is really fascinating! Did you gain any info into his plucking?

Elle
01-14-2007, 01:24 PM
http://www.sheldrake.org/nkisi/
This site had an article on the N'kisi project.
I googled N'kisi and came up with several interesting info sites.
Wonderful bird and the owner's strategy is described in the project.

There is a link at the bottom of the page to listen to K'Nisi interacting. It is absolutely amazing! We played it twice after we realised who's voice belongs to whom.