PDA

View Full Version : Beau is outnumbered.

DebSpace
01-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Results from DNA tests on Sophie and Sky are in; they are both HENS. :rolleyes: They are siblings, so I knew I would eventually need to separate them, but based on their behaviors I really thought I had a male & female. Get your little violins out for me. Yes, I know...ya don't know what 'cha got until ya test what 'cha got, so that's the breaks. My husband suspects this whole thing is a conspiracy to acquire yet a few more birds. :blush: I confess, I would love one in every color, but c'mon! It might also be nice to have a couple of bonded pairs. :whistle: In reality, were I to seek out a couple of DNA sexed males, I could still end up with 6 birds in separate cages. :( Part of me is laughing about all this, but I was secretly hoping for another male. In the event Nip never completely bonds well with Beau, the chance of Beau having a pal would be there. ALAS, they are just adorable and I'll try to make the best of the situation.

bellarains
01-11-2007, 08:17 AM
Well,

It does sound like you are going to have to get at least two more lovies. DARNITT!!!!!!!:rotfl:

Kathryn
01-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Sunshine and Sucre are sisters and have been caged together ever since birth. They were born a year ago last November so they are 14 months old. They preen every day and feud sporodically but always gravitate to each other.
Right now there is a pair (Midnight and Puff) in the big flight cage with them and all four get along beautifully. In fact it's not unusual to see Midnight and Puff preening Sucre or Sunshine.

Maybe Sophie and Sky will be as bonded...time will tell.

Eliza
01-11-2007, 05:14 PM
My husband suspects this whole thing is a conspiracy to acquire yet a few more birds :blush:

Your hubby took the words right out of my mouth :lol

-e-

Janie
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Shy, "shylevon", has a bunch of lovies hens who are cage buddies. I'm thinking that out of eight, Shy only has one male. :confused: Anyway, sometimes hens can and do get along caged together. :)

DebSpace
01-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. For now, I hope they will get along. They have some squabbling, but usually end up side-by-side shortly thereafter, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Unfortunately, I can't afford additions to the flock right now, but...never know what the future might bring. :whistle:

linda040899
01-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Deb,
It's very possible to have 2 female lovebirds that get along very well. While it's the exception rather than the rule, I've had it happen here several times. I had one pair of hens that would lay eggs, and incubate them while sitting side by side. At night, they would each put one wing over the other. Its was just absolutely adorable!