PDA

View Full Version : Painting a cage?

CaptMicha
01-11-2007, 01:56 PM
I ordered two cages online and they came but they were black. I was supossed to get white. Right now I'm trying to get it fixed but if I can't, I'm stuck with two black cages.

Is there any way to paint a cage? Obviously I can't powder coat something myself but maybe there's another way to safely paint them or get powder coating done?

Janie
01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
The short answer is no. Many people have asked here about how to safely paint a cage and if I remember correctly, it's really more expensive to do it yourself than to buy a new cage. It does need to be paint that is powder coated and my understanding is that drying that properly (can't remember exactly what but that thread is less than a month old) is the problem.

This is what Shy (shylevon) wrote on in March of 2006 regarding painting a cage.

Appliance paint works fairly well, but your best option is powder coating. Phone around and see if anyone does it in your neighborhood. Sometimes if you just want a common color like white, they will do it for next to nothing with a larger order of white articles they are spraying. Powder coating is baked on, and it really is the best way to go.

If you'll put "painting cages" or "powder coated paint" in your search area at the top, you'll find many thread that have discussed painting a cage. The powder coated, as Shy is baked on and that is one of the problems with doing it yourself.

If you can't exchange them, I'd keep the black. Both of my large cages are black and they work out just fine.

CaptMicha
01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
I thought I read that powder coating is where they attach the paint to the cage by magnets. I wonder how that works as metallic paint would probably be dangerous, if not toxic. I wonder who would offer this kind of service.

I just want to research this option b/f I go and sell them and then buy two white ones. I could go with the black but it wouldn't look very nice. These two new ones are supposed to be the ULTIMATE cages in terms of size, looks and everything else. Basically they're supposed to be serviceable furniture.