PDA

View Full Version : How do feathers grow?

dmj64
01-15-2007, 03:09 AM
Hello
Our new buddy is missing her tail feathers (chewed off by a rat ?!?:omg: ) We've had her about a month, but there is no sign of them growing back. She gnaws on the area sometimes, but doesn't seem much irritated by it.

Do feathers grow like hair?

I've seen the term "moulting" used frequently. I did a search, but still do not have a grasp of moulting. From what I gather, feathers grow in periodic "surges" (??) What is "moulting" ? Will her tail feathers grow back? She is at least a year old.

Thanks
Dennis

zlatushka
01-15-2007, 09:33 AM
Are the feathers just sheared off (the base of the feathers is still there) or is the area completely bald?

I would say that it is still possible that the feathes will grow back, although it may take some time. I am concerned about what you describe though--how the feathers came off, and the fact that she is "gnawing" at the area still. There may be some fungal or bacteria infection on the skin. Personally, I would definitely recommend taking her in to have a vet look at the area and do a couple of tests.

Janie
01-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I don't know about a complete tail growing back with a lovebird but it does happen with my back yard birds. It takes a while, but a wild birds tail will grow back.

zlatushka
01-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Do feathers grow like hair?

I've seen the term "moulting" used frequently. I did a search, but still do not have a grasp of moulting. From what I gather, feathers grow in periodic "surges" (??) What is "moulting" ? Will her tail feathers grow back? She is at least a year old.

I forgot to answer that in the previous post.... Yes feathers do grow like hair in the sense that they fall out and are replaced. But like hair, you shouldn't lose all of it and be bald, then wait for a great regrowth to happen. It's a continuous process. There are a couple of more noticeable moulting times during the year. Usually once every six months. Birds may shed a comparatively lot of feathers in a short period. But again, they won't be completely bald and waiting for new feathers to come in. I know there's a great description I've read somewhere, I'm looking for the link and will post it as soon as I find it again :)

Hope those explanations help...

LauraO
01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Did your new bird have tail feathers when you brought him/her home? I ask because we have a rescue lovie Eva who has no tail feathers. She came to us that way over a year ago and she's never let them grow back. We've taken her to the vet several times and the vet said she probably plucks new feathers as they come in because their itchy, which seems true. Every once in a while I'll see a little sprout coming out of her rump but by the next day it's gone.

I do suggest you take the new bird to the vet ASAP. You didn't quarantine the bird and the feather plucking, if that's what it is, can be a result of an infection or other illness which will put both your birds as risk.

Nyghtraven
01-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Molting for a bird means to shed old feathers for new vibrant cleaner feathers. It happens periodically like Laura said. Molting happens to a young bird 2x in one year to get there adult feathers in; after that I belive is once a year that they molt.

Got the bottom part from my dictionary
To shed periodically part or all of a coat or an outer covering, such as feathers, cuticle, or skin, which is then replaced by a new growth

Janie
01-15-2007, 05:07 PM
My back yard birds, most species anyway, molt once a year but my lovebirds molt at least twice a year and each molt goes on for about 5 weeks.

Kathryn
01-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Dennis,
Has your new buddy been to the vet? This would be a necessary course of action.

How old was the bird when the rat ate the tail feathers?
Is the skin healthy and show pores for feathers? If the damage was extensive, there may not be healthy skin with roots for growing feathers.

A bacterial infection would need diagnosis and treatment suggestions from a vet.
If lovie is gnawing the area, an E-collar may be needed until there is healing or new feathers.

dmj64
01-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks, everyone
I've been studying all day and haven't viewed the replies until tonight.

The feathers don't appear plucked or sheared and the area is not bald. They are kind of raggedly severed at the base. "Chewed" sounds accurate, which is why I have no reason to discount the original owner's explanation.

She has been to an avian vet for her slightly wounded (rat bitten?) toe; she was on antibiotics for that. I pointed out the tail feathers to the vet (they are impossible to miss), but he didn't seem to consider it a problem.

As far as her gnawing the area, she does that very little; it's not like she's constantly doing it.

Overall she seems fine, she just looks funny. Kind of "stumpy":lol If the tail feathers grow back, fine. If not, we just love my stumpy little buddy as she is!

sdgilley
01-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Dennis,
Your bird sounds lucky to have minor injuries from a rat - rats are pretty dangerous to birds, I understand.

You've had her for a month, and you've had her to a vet :clap: so you are doing the right things for her. As Janie said, you can expect her to molt twice a year.

When she molts, you'll see little flecks of white stubble here and there on her. That will be the parafin like coating on the new feathers as they start poking out. It will be a slightly stressful time for her because she may become ichy. If she'll bathe, she'll feel much better. She may choose to bathe in her water dish, which is fine - but baths will really help during molting. You'll also find feathers here and there around the cage, but you shouldn't see any bald spots on her. They don't molt in one conscentrated area, it's gradual and all over.

Good luck! and keep us posted.