PDA

View Full Version : Cassysmiley - some pictures for you.

Bella
01-26-2007, 08:42 AM
For those of you who wonder why I am posting this - it may be that Cassy can take my lovies.

Here is the album to show you the cages.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2096196595

Tons of pics of the babies from eggs to fledging.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4286660477

Pics of the babies learning to fly.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=4286276619

You will see some pics of Kiri the budgie in the last album and may be wondering what happened to her. Sadly she died last year.

Janie
01-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Bella, I really enjoyed looking at all of your photos and especially seeing how the babies developed from one day to the next. I just love baby photos! :D

I hope that Cassy can take your lovies, she'd give them a wonderful home. :)

cassysmiley
01-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Oh Bella
I have fallen in love with them, they are beautiful Fids.
The Cages are exactly same as mine , which my masks live in. So no problem in housing them here. (unlike my 6ft indoor avairy.)
They are lovely.
I am hoping to breed from my mask lovies as not many about, am just hoping they not related.
I always use natural materials for nesting etc and perches, I got willow trees and bamboo plants for stripping etc. Up the road from is a little Nursery and he as huge apple trees there, and i can go up any time to lop some branches off. So no perches are artifical. They really are beautiful birds.
If all goes well, i promise you, they will have a very warm loving home and will be well cared for. .
Cassy.
P.S.
I got Cosy cave to lol.

Xanthus
01-26-2007, 09:29 AM
It looked like your hen's nest was just in a corner in her normal cage. Is that an acceptable way to run things? No nestbox? Or was this just an accident? I haven't seen anyony's birds nesting outside a box before.

linda040899
01-26-2007, 09:44 AM
With first clutches, it's hard to predict what's going to happen! Sometimes momma lovebird just won't accept a nestbox or it could be that this was not a known male/female pair when the eggs were laid. Many times I, personally, don't offer a nestbox when I know I don't have a pair or, occasionally, even when I'm in doubt. It's actually safer to leave fertile eggs where they are (even if it's outside a box) than to take a chance of moving them and having momma lovebird abandon the developing chicks.

Bella
01-26-2007, 09:45 AM
It looked like your hen's nest was just in a corner in her normal cage. Is that an acceptable way to run things? No nestbox? Or was this just an accident? I haven't seen anyony's birds nesting outside a box before.

Ah, that was quite a story. I gave Miss Lemon a nestbox. She was not interested in it at all.

The folks on here advised me in that case to give her a kleenex box or similar on the floor of the cage so she could nest in that. Not interested. She used the kleenex box as a barrier to block off one corner of the cage floor and just nested in that corner. Nothing I could do to dissuade her.

Made cage cleaning a nightmare as I could not disturb the nest corner. I had to line the rest of the cage with sheets of newspaper with the corner cut off so I didn't disturb the nest.

In many ways it was wonderful having her nest on the cage floor as I could see everything that went on, feeding etc. It was great. But yes I certainly think a nestbox is better.

Little Arwen, chick number 3, found it highly irregular not to be in a nestbox. As soon as she could walk she stomped away all by herself and set up house in the kleenex box. I was terrified that she would not get fed, but Poirot knew where she was and fed her just fine.

Xanthus
01-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Little Arwen, chick number 3, found it highly irregular not to be in a nestbox. As soon as she could walk she stomped away all by herself and set up house in the kleenex box. I was terrified that she would not get fed, but Poirot knew where she was and fed her just fine.

Best quote EVAHR! :clap: :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl: :clap:

Xanthus
01-26-2007, 10:06 AM
It's actually safer to leave fertile eggs where they are (even if it's outside a box) than to take a chance of moving them and having momma lovebird abandon the developing chicks.

I always heard that birds abandoning eggs because of handling was an old wive's tale...

When my mom and I were breeding parakeets we would open the nestboxes, roll the eggs to look for defects, clean things out if they got really nasty, handle the chicks, etc. And we never had birds abandon eggs or chicks.

Are Lovies different in this respect?

And, if so, what CAN you safely do without them abandoning their offspring?

linda040899
01-26-2007, 10:18 AM
I wasn't referring to the hen abandoning her clutch because of human touch. Rather, the hen just won't follow the eggs into the box because that's not her chosen nesting sight! Birds actually have a poor sense of smell.

sdgilley
01-26-2007, 10:19 AM
When my hen laid her first clutch, I hadn't given her a nest box yet. With the disruption of getting a box the first time and putting her egg in it, she stopped laying. I think that was more the point of the earlier post, not that you can't touch lovie eggs. My hen will rip me a new hand if I touch her eggs now, but if I have to move them, she won't give them up.

:)

patti2297
01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Oh Bella
I have fallen in love with them, they are beautiful Fids.

I just love a happy ending! :)

Janie
01-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Cassy!!!!! I am tickled pink! They will be going to a wonderful home! :happy: :happy: :happy:

bellarains
01-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Bella,

I do hope you and Cassy can work everything out. I know their well being is all you are concerned about, and with Cassy, they would be given first priority, no doubt:)

butterfly1061
01-26-2007, 01:09 PM
Bella & Cassy,

This is great news! They are going to a good home :happy:

Like Janie, I'm glad I have Janie, Lori & Jeanette around - just in case :whistle: We've all talked about taking each others lovies if anything ever happened to us. It's great to have lovie buddies close by :D

Eliza
01-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh, the photos were such a nice treat!

Bella, I do hope that you and Cassy are able to work things out for the beebs!

Best wishes,

-e-

wilkiecoco
01-26-2007, 06:37 PM
bella - i think i missed the thread about why you are rehoming them, but it sounds like they are going to a loving, caring home.

the pics were fantastic. i only have one lovie, and i do not breed, so the opportunity to watch as they grew was wonderful!! they are adorable, as are thier fidparents. :)

sdgilley
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm hoping it works out!!!
:clap: :clap: Cassy is a good fid-mama!:clap: :clap:

mangotiki
01-26-2007, 10:25 PM

What a visual I got from reading this!!!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Traci