PDA

View Full Version : Transporting via plane

CaptMicha
01-31-2007, 04:55 AM
What happens if somebody has to move, travel or something else, how do you take lovebirds with you on a plane?

Has anybody done it?

I don't even know if it's possible what with avian flu. And even if it were and you could fit them under your seat (and I know you can), wouldn't the other passengers kill you when you're in for a 10 hour flight with your bird "chirping" (or as I call it Screaming) the whole time?

I'm not going anywhere but I just want to know just incase.

KathyMay
01-31-2007, 10:27 AM
I moved from San Diego to Hawaii....You would need to check with the state you're entering & see if they have any quarantine issues. My lovies had to be in quarantine at a vets office for 78 hours , & had to be released 18 hours before we arrived in hawaii. I used a cat carrier & put towels( i know, not good)on the bottom to absorb any droppings.(PER AIRLINE) I also put some screwed in perches inside. I HAD to wrap the whole cage in mosquito netting.
Some airlines MAY let you take the pets with you on board. I had no such luck. My lovies & my dog were in cargo. They all made it fine & now we live in Paradise!
Advice for Everyone: DON"T ASSume... ASK THE AIRLINE QUESTIONS!

Lindades264
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
Hi, I took my lovebirds on a plane also. I suggest you take the carrier to the airport and have them approve it a day or so in advance. We did this and it was very helpful, especially with staff that do not know the procedure. We used a small rubbermade tote and drilled holes in it. We put a few perches in it, and used tuna cans to hold apple slices. Although I thought I checked everything out in advance, once we arrived at the airport, we learned the birds needed to be removed from the carrier in order to scan the carrier. No living creature can be scanned. I refused to take them out of the carrier for safety reasons, so security used a wand to scan the carrier. The wand slid nicely into one of the drilled holes. Hope this helps.

DebSpace
01-31-2007, 01:01 PM
I've never done it, but I know Janette uses Delta for shipping birds to new owners. Not sure about overseas. She might be able to fill you in on more of the details. Darn, I can't remember her user name. I know her email is birds2@shdybrk.com. You can also try searching threads using Delta as your keyword.

Eliza
01-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Here are two articles that I have found to be helpful in explaining air travel with birds:

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/winter2001/travel.htm

http://www.parrotchronicles.com/julyaugust2003/airtravel.htm

It is possible to fly your bird WITH YOU on a plane. Keep in mind, however, that most airlines that offer to fly pets in the cabin can rescind that offer at any time. And most restrict the amount of pets in the cabin. If someone has an assistance animal, for example, that might mean that your pet has to be moved to cargo. Plan ahead, too -- book for your pet at the same time as you book for yourself. Don't just show up at the airport, bird in tow, expecting that s/he will be able to fly with you.

As for overseas, a similar question was recently asked on another bird bird I belong to. I believe that if you are based in the US, you can find information about transporting pets by visiting that country's consulate website (e.g., if you were moving from Alabama to England, you would need to contact the British consulate based in or near Alabama). From what I understand, though, birds going to Japan and other Asian countries is not allowed at the present time.

Hope this helps!

-e-

CaptMicha
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
Does Israel fall under the catergory of Asian countries?

My lovies had to be in quarantine at a vets office for 78 hours , & had to be released 18 hours before we arrived in hawaii.

Do you mean they had to sit at your vet's office or some one else's? And that they had to be released atleast 18 hours before your flight?

Maybe I'm a little slow today but please clear that up for me.

I really can't imaging taking a lovebird in the cabin under your seat. Do you think they would even allow it with the noise?

KathyMay
01-31-2007, 11:46 PM
The birds HAD to arrive in Hawaii within 18 hours after being released from quarintine. & yes, they were in a vets office for 72 hours . It was a big hassle,but worth it!

CaptMicha
02-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Ohhhhh! Buut what if the flight was canceled, delayed or the flight took longer than planned? There's so many what ifs when it comes to regulations.