PDA

View Full Version : Disinfectant

CaptMicha
02-06-2007, 08:34 AM
I need an disinfectant cleaning agent to wash their water dishes in the morning but I want a cheap one. I swear that they slap "Bird" on the labels of things and up the price at least 5 times...

Janie
02-06-2007, 08:39 AM
This one, GSE, has been mentioned over and over here. A $20.00 bottle will last well over a year and it is bird safe but made for humans.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=6165&highlight=Grapefruit+Seed+Extract

CaptMicha
02-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah, but aren't there any cheaper ones? I don't really need it to last for a year if it's going to be $20.00. Is there anything I can find at grocery stores?

linda040899
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
Soap and hot water will do the trick. Remove all bacteria and you may find that their immune systems don't function as well as they could/should. Exposure to some bacteria is actually good for them.

sdgilley
02-06-2007, 10:18 AM
I use soap and water. I let them soak a little bit, too.

I found the GSE onan online sale once (a year ago) for $4 (for a 6 oz bottle I think) and it's lasted me a long time. I like it, and it does last forever it seems. The trick is keeping an eye out for it.

mangotiki
02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I use soap and water and just rinse really well. I use a green scouring pad thingy that you can get at dollar stores (and grocery stores) that I keep just for the birds.

Traci

mangotiki
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I also have extra dishes, so I just rotate them and then I don't have to wash them in the morning...I throw them in the dishwasher and then just give then an extra rinse and let them dry. You can get plastic ones pretty cheap, just look around first. Walmart seems to be cheaper than the petstores here in Canada.

I use soap and water and the scrubber for the cages and rinse well.

Traci

DebSpace
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
I have lots of spare bowls and try to wash most of them together in the dishwasher in a load by themselves.

Janie
02-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I have lots of spare bowls and try to wash most of them together in the dishwasher in a load by themselves.

Deb, why do you wash them in a load by themselves? :confused: I run a load about every day but I've always mixed bird bowls with people plates, etc. I also have spares (several to say the least, :D) so I can go three or four days if necessary w/o washing dishes. Like if I am out of town and am depending on my 21 yr. old son to take care of them! :D

linda040899
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I have a complete extra set of water dishes for all my cages. I simply remove one set, put those in the dishwasher and put my second set in the cages while my first set is being cleaned. I have enough water dishes so that the dishwasher is full each time. If I have just a few that I want cleaned, I either wash them by hand or add them to whatever dishes I'm going to run through the dishwasher cycle. I have too many dishes to consider washing by hand so a working dishwasher in my house is more than just a luxury! :lol

chris631
02-07-2007, 12:52 PM
I throw mine in the dishwasher and use Murphy Oil on the cage , perches floor(underneath)

Susan27
02-07-2007, 01:32 PM
I use dishsoap and triple rinse. I use oxygel on the floors/cage and triple rinse. (ok, I probably rinse WAY more than that, I am a rinse aholic). All this will be MUCH easier as of today, because my wash basin will be installed WOOHOO. oh and in summer when everything can be hose sprayed down.

(too bad I don't have a dishwasher....I would lose too much cupboard space....but maybe oneday...)

CaptMicha
02-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I'm really bad I know... I've been using anti-bacterial handsoap. All of a sudden it hit me what I was doing. I am some kind of a genious, aren't I? >o

My parents wouldn't let me put anything in the dishwasher. I use my bathroom sink. I have a kitchen end of faucet thing anyways that you can switch from jet to spray b/c I have other pets and other things to wash also.

I'm pouring some dishsoap now.