PDA

View Full Version : Piccolo and Pidget: the story of a May-December romance

graushill
02-09-2007, 10:06 AM
This is a lovie love story meant specially for those of you considering a second lovie. For those of you not familiar with my flock, here’s a little background. Pidget is my approx. six year old male green mask. I first saw him in Blocket (a kind of Swedish E-bay site) about two and half years ago. At the time I had been taking care of a pair of lovebirds (Pontus and Nemo) for a good friend of mine and had decided I wanted one of my own. Enter Pidget. He was at the time about four years old and had been sold to his family unweaned so he had been alone with humans pretty much his whole life. I can’t say that he was mistreated but he had almost never been let out of his cage, and he didn’t really have any toys to speak of. He came to us in a small, albeit very clean cage, which had been his home his whole life, and his only possession was a rather threadbare and holey green towel.

Piccolo is my “miracle baby” and she’s Pontus and Nemo’s first and only chick. You see, Pontus and Nemo moved back in with us just a month or so after I got Pidget. They were supposedly going to stay only for about six months or so. At the time, we (their former owner and I) still believed they were a male couple, so you can imagine our shock the first time Pontus laid an egg. Following my friend’s instructions, I had boiled all the eggs in the first clutch, but when Pontus laid a second clutch some months later I decided to addle the eggs. That’s what I did, except for the very last one Pontus laid because I miscounted and by the time I discovered my error, that last eggie had probably been there at least a couple of days, and I didn’t have the heart to addle it and destroy what could be an already forming chick. About a month later, and right on schedule, that egg hatched and Piccolo came into being. By then I had already decided that when Pontus and Nemo left, I would get a friend for Pidget but I didn’t think I would ever be able to house him with another bird because he seemed to be really afraid of other birds. Having been a single lovie for all his life he just didn’t seem to know how to act around other birds and after quickly discovering that a) other birds just don’t appreciate when you try to land on their heads and b) other birds, unlike humans, bite back, he had decided that his best bet for survival was to beat a hasty and loud retreat from any approaching bird, whether said bird’s intentions seemed friendly or not. Pidget did have a big crush on Pontus, but he was apparently resigned to adoring her from afar. So that was the situation in my house when Piccolo hatched. When she weaned, I decided to move her in with Pidget since she was so young and had thankfully inherited both her mom and dad’s sweet disposition.

Piccolo and Pidget’s relationship has had its up and downs but Piccolo has really shown herself to be a true lovie hen, persistent and determined, and little by little she has managed to worm herself firmly into Pidget’s good graces. They are now a couple, and a heart warming one to watch. Piccolo, being so young, is very playful and active, and when she’s out with her foster brother Elmo and with Bubblan they play fast and hard. My little Pidget, due partly to his age and partly to the fact that he had not had much practice flying before, can’t really keep up with them (they can all literally fly circles around him). But he’s learning and trying so hard and every day I see an improvement in his flight. He wants to be with Piccolo, you see. Piccolo for her part has done something I’d never before seen; she will actually swoop in and defend Pidget when one or more of the other birds are harassing him. She will also land on my head when Pidget is perched on my shoulder even though I know she doesn’t really like to be so close to me. Here’s a picture of the happy couple sharing Pidget’s favourite swing:

http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/8258/onaswingbg8.jpg

Piccolo is on the left and Pidget is on the right.

Since I mentioned the others in passing, here’s one of almost the whole flock:

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/1181/birdconventiongk2.jpg

The three green masks on the foreground are Piccolo, Nemo and Elmo (from left to right). The two in the background are Pidget (green) and Bubblan, the only blue mask in my flock. The only one missing is Pontus, who was sitting on a clutch at the time.

And the last picture has nothing to do with this post, but it’s actually a small miracle and is dedicated to Shy (board member shylevon):

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/613/nemoinhiscozienq5.jpg

That’s my Nemo in his cosy. And believe me, the first time I put one of those in his cage, he almost had a heart attack. But now he loves sleeping in one. Shy, your cosies can work miracles :clap: !

Elle
02-09-2007, 10:20 AM
Such a heart warming story. You have a beautiful flock :)

linda040899
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
You've got quite a Masked Lovie family, Gloria, and thank you for sharing their story with us! :)

I had to smile at the photo with all of them together! You see all these green feathered lovies and one blue one, Bubblan... Adorable, just adorable!

Janie
02-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Awwwww, thank you so much for sharing that heart warming story, Gloria! :D Nothing beats a sweet little lovie finding a buddy and I'm so glad that Pidget has finally found true love! :)

Oliver's story isn't nearly as sweet as yours but like Pidget, he sure has blossomed with the company of Big Boi and Shy and to look at him with no pin feathers on his little head is wonderful after him feeling so prickly for three years. Shy grooms him so much better than I could! :D

OK, you've given me hope with the photo of Nemo in the cozy! How long did it take him to enter it? I tried one of Miss Shy's cozies with Oliver 3 years ago and he really, really freaked out but now, after seeing Big Boi and Shy (the bird, not the human cozy maker, :D) hop in theirs every night, I'm wondering if I should put one in his night cage again. :confused: He's always on my shoulder, watching me tuck them in so maybe he's figured out that those cozies aren't evil. I'd love to know that he's resting his little feet and legs at night.....I'm gonna try it again! :)

Your photos are fabulous! The entire flock......oh my goodness! :):):) Houdini was the first masked photos I'd ever seen and from the first one you posted of him, I wanted a masked lovie! I love peachies and the way the look but the masked fids just melt my heart. Those eyes, those eyes! Thanks so much for sharing your story and the photos! :D

bellarains
02-09-2007, 11:19 AM
Gloria,

Your flock is just precious. I too love the group flock pic, and it reminds me of one of those preschool things where they say, "Which one doesn't belong", but of course little Bubblan is a beautiful blue light in the midst of all that green:)

Thanks for the pics. It seems forever since I've seen pics of your little masked angels, and I really enjoyed them.

mjm8321
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Thank you for sharing Gloria. They all look very happy and healthy. I just love those little black heads. :)

butterfly1061
02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Gloria,

I just love reading stories about your flock. I looked at that group pic and wondered "How can she tell them apart?". It's like looking at quadruplets :omg: They are all so adorable and that Bubblan in probably my favorite. Thanks for a wonderful lovie story. It's good to hear from you :)

Kathryn
02-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Gloria, what a beautiful Valentine story and such pretty lovies!

wilkiecoco
02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
what a wonderful story. the pic are great, especially seeing the happy couple together, all fluffed up and snuggling. they make a beautiful pair!!!!:)

Buy A Paper Doll
02-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Aw, I'm so glad Pidget has found a friend. :) I love your photos!!

graushill
02-10-2007, 06:34 AM
My flock says thanks! or maybe "Tack" or even "Gracias" it's hard to say what human language they "speak" :wink:. Except for Piccolo who seems to take all compliments as only her due :).

I looked at that group pic and wondered "How can she tell them apart?". It's like looking at quadruplets
Well, there are differences in colouring and in the shape of their bibs that you can go by but I also find that their little faces are different.Not to say that I've never confused them, because I have. And I do love my Bubblan, he's the one birdie I could never confuse :).

OK, you've given me hope with the photo of Nemo in the cozy! How long did it take him to enter it?
Janie, I have to tell you I'm not sure when he started to come in that cozy. All I can say is that you caould have knocked me down with a feather the first time I discovered him in one. I was actually so sure it couldn't be him that I was like "Oh hello there Pontus, did you leave the nest box for a while?" and then looking around "Where's Nemo?" before what my eyes were telling me registered in my brain. I did persist wih putting the cozy in every day though, although I had pretty much given up hope of he ever using one since I had tried to entice him in with millet, sunflower seeds (which he shouldn't even get >o ), egg, etc. I'm sure OLiver will give the cozy a try sooner rather than later :) .

Gloria

rmhand
02-10-2007, 10:41 AM
What a beautiful flock of Lovies. They're so cute. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

dovelady4
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Awwwwwwwwww! They make such a sweet couple!!! Thanks for sharing that story;perfect for Valentine's Day!

Eliza
02-10-2007, 06:13 PM
Such a sweet story, Gloria! You certainly have a beautiful flock to keep you company :)

-e-

sdgilley
02-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Hi Gloria!
What a wonderful story! I just love the story and the pictures. Because of my Peter, green masked lovies are very special to me. The picture of your flock is wonderful. They have such expressive faces, don't they?
Thanks for sharing!

Janie, they are monkey see monkey do to some degree. If Oliver sees Shy (the bird) and Big Boi climbing inside their cozy, he'll get the idea. Peter and Luka sleep in one cozy (unless there is a tiff and Luka gets the perch). I think it's great they have a nice warm cozy place to sleep. I can't give Peepo anything other than wood, so she gets a coconut. It's not exactly cozy, but hey! it's home. :)