PDA

View Full Version : Intermixing

salderm1
02-09-2007, 09:48 PM
My mom got my brother and me a bird, she got a Cockatiel and a Lovebird. She got both from the same petshop and they were both side by side a week before Xmas. I got the heads up when she was shopping for my brother and then she decided to get one for me too. I was thrilled!!!! I love, love,love animals! So, the 2 were side by side for a week. Now they are seperated. My little lovie is bonding with me and my son. Is it all right to take him out and socialize with the Cockatiel(Remington)? Once in a great while? I took his cage out once in my parents house and let him out, he flew rightover to the Cockatiels cage. And then when Remington was out he flew right over to Link's cage.
I have an aparment that is attached to my parents house, so I can easily access their house. I like to take Link out there when there are people out there because he is a social little guy(or girl). Is this ok, with the differnet species?

Janie
02-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Ohhhh, I wish I had advice for you but I don't. I do know that occasionally some of the different species can and do get along well together but I really don't have any experience with birds other than lovies. I'm sure it's possible that your lovie and the tiel would get along but I also know that our sweet little lovies can be very aggressive so hopefully, someone who has both will reply here.

linda040899
02-09-2007, 11:03 PM
The answer to your question greatly depends on the birds involved. I've seen lovies and tiels get along and even live in the same cage! However, this is the exception rather than the rule. Tiels tend to be docile, while lovebirds tend to be aggressive. I had a Tiel get a severely broken leg thanks to a lovebird that decided to let himself into her cage at a time when the Tiel hen had 3 babies in her nest. What I'm trying to illustrate is that lovebirds can hurt tiels, rather than the other way around.

If a friendship is to be formed between these 2 birds, it will have to be their own doing and it will have to be done under very careful supervision. I'm not saying yes, nor am I saying no. I'm saying be watchful if you decide to let them socialize.