PDA

View Full Version : 3 new ones????

dovelady4
02-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Alright, I got Louie from one of my mother's friend's mom (yeah, confusing, I know); the mom raised him. Know the friend wants to get rid of 3 other lovies, possibly all coming to me (I'm not sure yet). Anywho, I have yet to find out what gender, color, same family, etc. How much space does each Lovie need approx. (sq.ft., etc). Do you guys have any ideas for caging them? All I have is Lou's cage (I don't think he'd allow anyone else but a human in his cage) and an Amazon-sized cage. I *might* have two amazon cages, but I'm not sure where the 2nd is as of now. If we gave them a large enough cage, do you think they'd all be able to get along if they knew eachother before hand??? These ?'s are probably impossible to answer without more details, but I'm just wonder what you guys think. Thanks,

zlatushka
02-10-2007, 12:25 PM
It is possible that they can get along (see links to threads below), but the thing that popped up in mind first was the cages. While probably big enough for multiple lovies, I would bet the bar spacing will be too wide. Something to check on, anyway :)

There's a couple semi-recent threads on housing multiple lovies together.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=6852

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/communi...ead.php?t=6318

Hope that helps :)

Kathryn
02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
If the three new lovies have been caged together, they will probably be fine together while in quarantine. In the meantime you will have gathered more info on them, can DNA test them for sex, and will better know their personalities.

First order of business is get them in for a vet visit. Quarantine is for Louie's safety as much as theirs. 30 to 90 days is normal. Check with your vet too. (I would suspect that if she wants to get rid of them, they may not have seen the inside of a vet's office in a while.)

If the bar spacing on the Amazon cage is bigger than 1/2 inch, you may need a different cage. Sometimes 3/4 inch works if the lovies are big. If they can get their head thru the bar spacing, the body follows!

Hopefully the lovies will come with their cage...you will have to transport them somehow. If the cage comes, make sure it and anything in it is cleaned and disinfected..also for Louie's health. You will carry bacteria, germs etc back and forth between the cages.

dovelady4
02-10-2007, 06:06 PM
OK, Apparently all 3 of these birds get along fine in the same cage. I think this person is getting rid of them mainly from lack of space and the nosie level (she has a dove, 'tiel, Amazon *I think*, and 1-2 pairs of lovies). I was talking with my dad and we figured we'd probably just make a small flight. Does anyone have any instructions or anything for a small indoor flight???