PDA

View Full Version : Flight Improves Pelvic Muscle Tone?

jannorth
06-19-2005, 01:17 AM
I haven't had the pleasure of any nose landings, though both of mine have always been fully flighted. I've heard a lot of the fully-flighted-horror-stories, and I do agree you sure have to stay right on their tails when they're out! I've heard that flying exercises the pelvic muscles involved in egg-laying. I can do exercise analysis on humans, but have never tried lovies. :lol I'm accepting this as fact 'cause it sure looks like everything in those little bodies is working when they fly! and I like the idea because I have 2 hens.

Jan

BarbieH
06-19-2005, 05:52 AM
I've heard that flying exercises the pelvic muscles involved in egg-laying.

Hi Jan;

That is the best argument I've ever seen for allowing a bird to be at least partially flighted, if it's true. I could imagine how it would differ significantly from the flapping exercise they give themselves in the cage -- like whole-body exercise compared to upper-body alone.

Where did you happen to hear this information? I would love to try to research it a bit more. I suppose you also have to weigh the risks vs. benefits in any particular home.

(If you don't mind, I'm going to separate this into a different thread. It's very interesting and I think it deserves its own topic header. :))

~ Barb

Joanie Noel
06-19-2005, 08:56 AM
It's interesting that you mention that idea, Jan. The lovebird breeder who I got Maple from didn't want me to clip her wings if she was going to be used as a breeder bird. I only remember him saying that she needed that exercise to be in the best shape for egg-laying.

It would kind of make sense anyway if you think about how humans have an easier time giving birth if they've exercised throughout pregnancy and are in good shape. The hens need to birth those eggs too! :eek:

~ Joanie

LauraO
06-19-2005, 11:27 AM
I haven't heard that wings increase the pelvic muscles though I have heard a breeder say it helps with the birds balance when they are trying to breed. It would be interesting to read more on the subject though.

BarbieH
06-19-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay, I think (hope!) I've sorted it out. It has to do with avian breathing.

Birds have a series of nine air sacs that go from front to back inside the bird’s body: one interclavicular, two cervical, two abdominal, two anterior thoracic, two posterior thoracic. Those two in the back are the ones that activate during tail-assisted breathing. We see a lot of tail-assisted breathing during the egg-laying process -– kind of like labor.

When a bird flies, it uses all those air sacs for inhalation and exhalation. The air moving through these sacs helps keep a bird in flight.
(http://courses.washington.edu/chordate/lecture_notes/set3/453bird-lungs-05.pdf)

That's as close as I can figure it out. The question is whether all those air sacs are used when a bird exercises in its cage. I would think that it probably would, but maybe not to the extent that it would if it were in actual flight.

shylevon
06-19-2005, 02:13 PM
I can see how flying would strengthen pelvic muscles.

Birds us their tails to navigate and control speed and movement, and tail positioning is controlled by pelvic muscles. They also have to suck in that little tummy to fly and hold their legs in position. Just watch a birdie land, they fan their tails and scoop the tail under, towards the floor, while moving their feet forward into landing position. A mini-pelvic thrust, for lack of a better word. That is all pelvic muscles workin' there.

You don't see many birdies with a beer gut or saddlebags, now do you. ;)

bellarains
06-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Hmmm,

Ya mean all I need to do is learn to fly?????? :rofl:

Keltoth
06-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Hmmm,

Ya mean all I need to do is learn to fly?????? :rofl:

I know several women who can fly. Doing it without a broomstick, however, is the trick... :lol

/me ducks

Mummieeva
06-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Rides her Broomstick after after you. You told our secret thats not allowed. I am gonna have to turn you into a goon. :lol (or maybe throw you to the darkside for a few more birds :rofl: )

Steph- AKA wicked witch of the south

Z28Taxman
06-19-2005, 07:19 PM
I know several women who can fly. Doing it without a broomstick, however, is the trick... :lol

/me ducks

You've met my ex! :rofl:

BarbieH
06-19-2005, 09:00 PM
I am gonna have to turn you into a goon.

Were you thinking of "Little Rabbit Foo-Foo" by any chance? :lol

kimsbirds
06-19-2005, 09:17 PM
Bunny, Barb....Bunny foo-foo :rofl: :lol

Mummieeva
06-19-2005, 11:03 PM
LMAO :rofl: Yes I was. My kids love that song.

Steph

jannorth
06-20-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm glad you were the one who moved the post, Barb - at first I thought I made a mistake when I posted it! I can't recall where I saw mention of the pelvic muscle benefit, but it was stated without any other detail in an article on the internet, and it was one of those things I hoped was credible. If I find out anything more, I'll add it to this thread.You know, I never clipped my girls because back when they were babies I really wasn't aware of clipping. Afterward, I never wanted to - they are super fliers and I just let them be, and figured the rest of the responsibility was up to me.

As it happened, after I posted, Billy and I saw the vet for the monthly egg check, and I'm big on questions whenever I have the opportunity. I asked her her opinion on clipping, as she's never mentioned it. She first asked me why I would want to, and I said I didn't, I was just curious. She just indicated that she was in favor of the exercise flying gave them and the fact that it fully oxygenates their bodies. I hadn't asked specifically about pelvic musculature though. She did add that she recommended clipping in cases when birds were really clumsy fliers. I've seen clipped birds, but I've never seen one fly - there seems to be a lot of variance in the ability of the individual bird, the length of clip, and the length of time between clips, so I imagine they would get these benefits unless they're kept severely clipped all the time?

Jan

bellarains
06-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey Jan,

I clip the first four flights on both of my lovies. This still allows them flight, it is just a bit more limited. They can still make a loop around the living room to the dining room if that gives you any idea, they just can't reach the ceiling or pick up that "zozom,zoom" kinda speed.

Eric,

You don't really need a broomstick to be a "Witch" ya know :wink:

mjm8321
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I don't know about the pelvic muscles...though I guess I'll need to grow my flights out and give it a whirl... :D
Both of our vets highly recommend allowing birds to have flight, even for a limited time once a year or so. Their bodies are designed for flight as well as some of their organ functions.

jannorth
06-20-2005, 08:17 PM
Ah - thanks for the example, Lori. I've heard things like "can't get to the chair from the cagetop (3 feet) without hitting the floor" and "they can fly almost the same as fully flighted, just without that extra bit of lift." Your example gives me some perspective.

And I thought to myself while reading this thread: There's some pretty quotable quotes here... :lol I see it's official now!

Jan