PDA

View Full Version : Clorox "Anywhere Hard Surface" sanitizing spray

HarpSpirit
02-13-2007, 04:29 PM
I just picked up some Clorox "Anywhere Hard Surface" sanitizing spray. I was wondering if anybody here uses this stuff on their bird cages?

It claims it is gentle enought to use around kids, pets and food. It appears to be a diluted bleach type spray.

I think it is fairly new as this is the firs time I have seen it in the store.

I would appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this stuff.

zlatushka
02-13-2007, 04:43 PM
I have used it around the kids, but not around the birds. I admit I keep a little bottle of it in the diaper bag and in the car. :whistle:

LauraO
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I would not use it without contacting the company to make sure it's bird safe. You would be better off filling an empty spray bottle with 10% bleach solution, which is known to be bird safe.

Kathryn
02-13-2007, 04:48 PM
You might check the label...it is probably a dilution of regular Clorox and may even be in one of the newer fragrances. Clorox has a strong smell that can be dangerous to birds.

I make my own 5% Clorox solution in a sprayer to use around the house and in the birdroom. It's a good disinfectant on surfaces. Any bleach I use on bird cages is carefully rinsed off. And a room should be aired out before returning birds to it.

Warning: The smell of Clorox can be pretty strong...say over-powering...any solution that is stronger should be used away from your lovies or any birds.

When I disinfect cages, the birds are housed in temporary cages/carriers. The cages are taken outdoors or put in a bathtub, scrubbed throughly with hot sudsy water, sprayed with a 10% bleach solution, rinsed, rinsed and allowed to dry.

Eliza
02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I would not use it without contacting the company to make sure it's bird safe. You would be better off filling an empty spray bottle with 10% bleach solution, which is known to be bird safe.

I agree with Laura. When I volunteered at a wildlife refuge we used a 10% bleach solution to clean and sanitize daily. It's an easy to make solution and is quite easy on the budget.

That said, it can't hurt to contact the company. I'd imagine that my feelings towards using a diluted bleach solution might change if I was caring for children in my home, despite knowing that it is considered to be safe.

Best of luck,

-e-

Buy A Paper Doll
02-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I avoid anything with fragrance added to it. I use just the homemade bleach water solution that others have mentioned to sanitize the birds' cage.

Janie
02-13-2007, 08:44 PM

"Ditto" to that.

HarpSpirit
02-14-2007, 07:54 AM
I tried this product around the house....after I put the birdies in their night cages upstairs and the spray hardly has any smell and it says it doesn't need any rinsing.....so it must be a pretty weak bleach solution.

I just wish they would give more info on the bottle on it. I was going to go to their website and ask about it but they wanted to have my address and phone number and such....I just don't want to give that out to them so I will just use the stuff in the bathroom or keep it with me in my purse.....those public restrooms are pretty gross sometimes.....http://images.bravenet.com/common/images/smilies/18_crazy.gif

When the bottle is used up I think I will just save the bottle and put in the bleach solution that you guys recommended....this stuff would get pretty pricey using it all the time being it is such a small bottle! :2cents:

Thanks for your input!