PDA

View Full Version : Parrots living in an SUV

mangotiki
02-14-2007, 11:44 PM
Today I was going through the parking lot at Superstore and noticed a cage in the front seat of an SUV. The doors to the cage were open, and and African Grey was sitting on top of the cage. News papers were spread out around the cage on the seat. A tent trailer was hooked up behind the vehicle.

I told my kids to check it the grey and a lady came up and said that there were two more birds in the back. She offered to show us her birds and opened the back door. She had a B&G in a makeshift cage built from plexiglass and 2x4's (it took up the entire inside of the vehicle) and sitting behind the B&G in the open, peeking out the open door, was another macaw...she said it was a scarlet crossed with something, I think.

I asked if she was transporting them and she said she wasn't. Apparently they are living in her vehicle as she has been without a house since October. The inside of her vehicle was chewed to bits (I don't even want to think about all the items that could be ingested) but she said it was just a car, who cares, she loves her birds and she would do anything for them and never give them up no matter what (Committed to her birds, maybe, but what about what is best for the birds?). She said she would sell everything she had for those birds, and that she had already done so. We also talked about Anne McDonald,the vet at Night Owl Hospital in Vancouver and this lady was familiar with her and admitted that she used to work at a shelter for birds.

She seemed to really love them and they did look like they were in ok shape except for some ragged feathers on the macaw's tail (they looked bright, curious and active, no plucked parts), but who knows. I said it was quite cold and she told me she either keeps the vehicle on or turns on a heater she has rigged up. Fumes, anyone?

I was in a hurry and my kids were with me, and when she said that Jehovah blesses me because I also love birds, I thought it would be a good time to get going. I wished her well and have been wondering ever since what I could have done for those poor birds. And for her, although she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong. I guess I was so shocked that I didn't know what to do and of course I didn't want to be rude and ask her too many details about her situation.

:confused:

Traci

DebSpace
02-15-2007, 12:13 AM
OMG, :eek: Traci, I don't know what I would have done. :mad: I might have spouted off to her a bit, actually, which isn't necessarily the BEST method, BTW. She truly sounds like a person that might just be beyond the help of your everyday, average person, if you know what I mean. I'm glad she loves her birds, but she certainly is not providing them with care. Yikes - that is just mind boggling.:roll:

Susan27
02-15-2007, 12:46 AM
Before you said it Traci, I was thinking "what about the fumes"? Not only from her vehicle, but from others...and since she leaves it running all the time:confused: :confused: :confused:

I know it stays pretty warm in BC, but goodness there is still winter. I am from Winnipeg, so it's DANG cold here!!

There's loving your pets, and then there is doing the right thing. I had to give up a wonderful dog, because my emotionally problemed dog started attacking him. After many vet visits and doggie prozac for my problem dog, I gave away the friendly nice dog, because I wouldn't want anyone to have my problemed dog, and I wasn't putting her down (she is nice with people, but I am extra cautious). This was completely heartbreaking, and I cry even today about my little Earnie, but it was better for him, and my 2 remaining dogs. It's hard to be unselfish when you love something, IMHO I think this lady was thinking more for herself than her parrots.

Oh, and I would have so been outta there when religion was mentioned....that's almost as bad a subject as telling someone they are't doing right by their pets. Good luck if you see her again, what a terrible situation and not an easy or safe one to bring up with her.

mangotiki
02-15-2007, 01:08 AM
She looked totally normal. Hair done, clean clothes...I don't want to judge cause I don't know what her situation was exactly, but holy cow, I couldn't believe it. Andthe ways she had that compartment built inside the SUV, it must have been built inside the car because there was no way it was going to fit through the door.

I am wondering if I should contact the vet and a bird shelter that she may have worked at...to find out if they know and remember her and can offer any help to the birds. Don't want to be nosy but I am concerned!

Traci

linda040899
02-15-2007, 07:43 AM
Traci,
Is there any organization that you can contact that might be able to help her? I think if you help the human, the care of the birds will fall right in line. It sounds like she truly cares for her birds and that they are her family. Perhaps she doesn't have any family so there's nowhere to turn. It's a very sad situation.

Kathryn
02-15-2007, 08:28 AM
A lot of homeless shelters don't allow pets. Soup kitchens or church pantries help with food. A shelter will sometimes help try to locate family.

She must have some income because she is caring for her appearance. Perhaps she works in the area.

There may be medical issues for the woman that might need to be addressed. Example: Alzheimers patients have 5 different levels of disease progress. Some are selfcaring and appear "normal" for a while.

Her birds may be her reason for existing and are keeping her in touch with reality.

You are limited in what you can do for her or her birds without getting agencies involved. Follow your conscience and heart....

Ayla's Mom
02-15-2007, 08:33 AM
I think that if she REALLY loved her birds, she would have at least temporarily rehomed them in good homes while she figures out her next steps! Its like having kids: if you ever became homeless, would you drag your kids all around the streets with you, or would you leave them in better care of people that can provide them with what you can't?
I just don't know how to feel about this woman. She sounds crazy... :(

Janie
02-15-2007, 09:11 AM
I think that if she REALLY loved her birds, she would have at least temporarily rehomed them in good homes while she figures out her next steps! Its like having kids: if you ever became homeless, would you drag your kids all around the streets with you, or would you leave them in better care of people that can provide them with what you can't?
I just don't know how to feel about this woman. She sounds crazy... :(

I have three tiny birds and finding temporary homing for them would be extremely hard. I can't imagine how she'd find temporary homing for three large parrots. Personally, I would never judge this woman for what she's doing. As Kathryn mentioned, an illness in some stage sounds like a good possibility and feel very sorry for her. Of course her birds need to be inside a real home and so does she but I've never walked in her shoes and therefore, would never judge her.

And yes, often times homeless parents do drag their kids around with them because of the fear that they will be taken from them forever if an agency gets involved. Check out the movie, "The Pursuit of Happyness".....a true story and a real eye opener to being homeless and trying to do the best you can to get out of that unthinkable situation.

mangotiki
02-15-2007, 10:02 AM
I guess I am so confused because really, there are all kinds of people in this world and who am I to judge? Particularly since her situation could have come about through no fault of her own...There could be any number of explanations for what is going on. She definitely was passionate about her birds. And she seemed not to want or think she needed any assistance, either for her or the birds.

I was thinking about contacting the vet or shelter, rather than an organization that helps people, because that would be the only way I might be able to find out who she is or figure out a way to get in touch with her again....unless I run into her again.

Definitely a human interest story.

Ayla's Mom
02-15-2007, 10:12 AM
Okay, I am sorry for the "crazy" part. But seriously, I don't think that she should be dragging her animals around like that. There are shelters that would take them in. Here in the Virginia area, there is something called Phoenix Landing, which is a society that fosters and homes birds rescued from bad situations. http://www.phoenixlanding.org/
These people actually come to your place of living to see if you can actually take care of a bird! Their adoption process is pretty rigorous, which is a GREAT thing :)
Of course, it is hard to know how the lady got into her current circumstance; but, the birds you mentioned are EXPENSIVE animals to acquire in the first place, so she must have had some way of getting them in the first place.
I know that I personally would rehome my birds as opposed to dragging them around and exposing them to imminent danger and death. :confused:

LauraO
02-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I don't think any of us should assume the birds are in a bad situation or they can't be treated well in that sort of environment. Yes there are fumes, but there are toxic fumes for anyone living near a busy road or freeway. Yes, I'm sure the trailer is not the most bird safe environment, but neither are 90% of the houses who house birds. I also think it's wrong to assume the birds would be better off without her. We don't know how old the birds are or how long they've been with her. Animals, like children are resilient and all that matters is she loves them and does her best for them. It may be she remains homeless cause she refuses to give up her birds and can't find an affordeable house to have them in. It may be the birds are all she has in the world and keeps her going. The reality of her situation can be a thousand different things and none of them have to be bad, and none of them need our judgement.

Anjamau79
02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
....Of course, it is hard to know how the lady got into her current circumstance; but, the birds you mentioned are EXPENSIVE animals to acquire in the first place, so she must have had some way of getting them in the first place.
I know that I personally would rehome my birds as opposed to dragging them around and exposing them to imminent danger and death. :confused:

I think this whole thing is very very sad. I feel for homeless people, because most of them have sad stories to tell, that brought them into that situation. She may have had a good life before, a nice house, a husband ... but "simple" thinks, like the death of her longtime husband may have changed everything. I'm pretty sure she had her birds before she got homeless. And if you loose everything and don't have familie, pets are often the only ones who make you feel wanted on this planet, you know? As long as you have a roof over your head, you can't judge her for keeping her birds. Maybe we would do the same, maybe not... but who knows???

I think if I would meet someone like this, I would offer her to buy right now some toys or food for the birds and bring it to her. That would make me feel good and the birds too :) I would not give any money, because you don't know there it goes to. You can only judge what you see, and I see birds in an unusuale livingcondition so I try to help and judge that 8o

mangotiki
02-15-2007, 12:43 PM
I spoke to Night Owl and they didn't know who she might be, but asked that if I could find her again, they would offer some assistance. I am kicking myself now that I didn't ask her if she wanted some help finding a home, or at least ask her to contact me while I look for some help for her.

(night owl is the avian hospital in the city where I am taking Mango)

Anjamau79
02-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I spoke to Night Owl and they didn't know who she might be, but asked that if I could find her again, they would offer some assistance. I am kicking myself now that I didn't ask her if she wanted some help finding a home, or at least ask her to contact me while I look for some help for her.

:clap: Thanks... there should be more people like you are :clap: I hope you can find her, but please don't blame yourself, that you didn't ask her if she needed help... everybody would be kind of shocked and hesitant, because you don't know how to approach her situation without hurting her feelings.

Good luck in finding her and great to read, that "Night Owl" would offer her some assistance.

Janie
02-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Traci, I agree with Anja, please don't blame yourself for not reacting more forcefully at the time. I am sure I would not have either. That's something I'd think about after the fact, wondering what I should have done. It's not easy to question a perfect stranger about the care they are giving their birds and I think you did the right thing, contacting Night Owl and just hope you do run in to her again so that you might offer that suggestion to her. I think it matters a whole lot that you do care and that you are trying to help. :)

Susan27
02-15-2007, 06:52 PM

(night owl is the avian hospital in the city where I am taking Mango)

Traci, I think you have done more than most people would. If you find the woman again, I hope it all works out well for her and her parrots.

Kathryn
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Same here. I agree with the others, you have done more than most would have done.
Perhaps you will see her again and can tell her about the assistance that is available.

Cathy
02-15-2007, 07:47 PM
I think that her birds are probably much better off with her than in a rescue place without their security who is the woman who has put them before her own needs. I just hope that they all find a home soon.

ottermom
02-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I always thought that if I ever became homeless, I would never get rid of my dogs - they would live in the car with me and I think that is in their best interest. But I would probably rehome my birds - at least temporarily. I think that would be in their best interest. I think the woman in question is thinking of herself first as she said "I could never give up my birds!". My :2cents:

Having said that, if there's anything I can do to help out, PM me.