PDA

View Full Version : The poop issue!

Ayla's Mom
02-15-2007, 11:33 AM
Okay guys, so here's the problem: Ayla poops ALOT! I mean, she could be sitting on my shoulder, and she drops one. Then, she moves up to my head, and poops in my hair. Then, she moves down to my arm, and poops on my arm. So on and so forth...
I am wondering:
Is her poop dangerous to my health?
Is there a way to reduce the poopage?:blush:
Thanks

mangotiki
02-15-2007, 11:51 AM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

They poop about every 15-20 minutes. I am lucky because Mango prefers to poop on Rob...

You will get to know the signs. They kind of back up and wiggle a little then crouch down and drop the bomb. So you have about a 1/2 second warning to place a cloth under them. Honestly, though, lovie poops are little. Ever see a Macaw poop? You will get used to it.

You can wear a poop cloth to protect your clothes, change your clothes, or quit feeding Ayla.:lol Myself, I just live with it! I don't really think you can truly potty train a lovebird; rather it is the owner who is trained! But some say it helps.

Janie
02-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Typically, they poop during the day about every 15 minutes. If your bird is pooping 3 times in that short amount of time, I'd have a vet check her out. Just my :2cents: Others here may have a different take on that so hopefully you'll hear more opinions about how often is too often.

As far as it being dangerous to your health, hmmmmm, I do wash my hands after I've come in contact with it but otherwise, I know my birds are healthy and don't worry about coming in contact with poop as long as I wash my hands afterwards. As far as having it in your hair (and maybe you don't realize it's there), I think most of us have had our fair share of "poop hair"! :lol I've brushed out dried poop more than a few times when I had no idea it was there till I found it in my brush. :D

butterfly1061
02-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I even find it in my purse along with a feather or two :rolleyes: The girls at work have gotten use to seeing it on me and point it out, but never touch it :omg: I think I found it on my checkbook one day too. I got use to it and now it just doesn't bother me.

bellarains
02-15-2007, 12:35 PM
First :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Nope, we are not laughing at you, but rather, with you:) If it's dangerous to your health, most of us are in serious trouble:lol

You can reduce the amount that you are pooped on by potty training, but I'm about 100% sure, you will still get pooped on occasionally.

If you monitor about how much time there are between poops, then hold Ayla over a piece of paper, kleenex, etc... and say "POOP" she will eventually learn what you expect. You will have to hold her over the paper for a little while to start with, and when she does poop on the paper, give her high praise, and offer a little treat like a piece of millet spray. You'll be amazed at how well they respond to positive rewards. They don't really understand negative reaction, but positive they get;)

Ayla's Mom
02-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Gosh, I am so glad to know that I am not the only one getting poop in the hair. It is a rather unpleasant experience :P

mjm8321
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Gosh, I am so glad to know that I am not the only one getting poop in the hair. It is a rather unpleasant experience :P

If you think a lovebird poop is gross, try the first poop of the day from a macaw! :D

wilkiecoco
02-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Poop - a never ending issue for lovie owners. They do it often, everywhere. I found some on the kitchen wall this morning. I swear, he at no point was anywhere near that wall! Strange - I think so!!!! :omg:

I have learnt to accept it, as it is part of Kiwi, who I absolutely adore. It is amazing what you get used to in life. :rofl: :rofl:

Elle
02-15-2007, 01:27 PM
I bought my own carpet cleaning machine. With two lovies, two budgies, an African grey and a cat (and yes, I'm clumsy too but don't tell my husband). Lord only knows what's hiding in it:lol

As far as being dangerous to health, I was discussing that with my vet last weekend. Chlamydia can be transmitted to human through the poop. The poop would need to be dry and you would inhale the dust. Other than that, there was no real concerns. You can get your bird checked for Chlamydia if you think it's a concern. The main symptom decribded by my vet would be lime green poop. And no, you cannot catch it by kissing your bird :)

wilkiecoco
02-15-2007, 01:34 PM
thank goodness elle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not be able to kiss kiwi - NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl:

Ayla's Mom
02-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Gosh! chlamydia is pretty serious, no?
I'm so used to the poop by now; its just EVERYWHERE!

Elle
02-15-2007, 04:01 PM
Gosh! chlamydia is pretty serious, no?
I'm so used to the poop by now; its just EVERYWHERE!

There was a thread a long time ago about Chlamydia. Here is the link. Hope that helps. You can also do a search for Chlamydia, there are a few other threads on the subject.

http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=2881&highlight=chlamydia