PDA

View Full Version : cage doors open or closed?

jon333
02-15-2007, 03:48 PM
i want my bird to come out of his cage so should i open the doors and try to get him out and close them and keep trying till he comes out or should i leave the doors open all the time and try to get him out like that

mewant1
02-15-2007, 03:54 PM
All of my birds are cagefree meaning their cage is always left open. I have them all seperated though especially my 2 new little ones. They come and go as they please but they always go "home" at bedtime. None of mine are cage territorial that I see but I guess due to their breeds (lovies and quakers) they can be. If you leave it open you really need to keep and eye on them and be careful when walking around!

Elle
02-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I leave the doors open when I'm home. If I'm busy or can't pay attention to what my birds are doing, I lock them up. When I leave the house, everybirdie gets locked up.
If you leave the door open, which is okay, make sure you are around. Never leave a bird without supervison. Accidents happen way too fast.

Hillapatra
02-15-2007, 03:56 PM
I got my lovebirds I took home just yesterday to come out.
How?
I left their food dish outside the cage and left the doors open. After much squaking, the male finally came out and then the female.
Just a little trick!

Elle
02-15-2007, 04:06 PM
I would be careful about removing food sources from a safe place ( the cage). You don't want to do that for too long. You may also want to offer millet outside the cage instead of their food. I know very few birds who cal resist millet :)

dani
02-15-2007, 06:13 PM
actually i was wondering the same thing, because i have a new lovie too, and i was debating whether to leave the cage door open when in a secure room...
i tried it a few times and haku, my lovie, will just look at me with a curious expression on his face, and sometimes get close to the door but never really come out...
so i also dont know whether to let him come out when he's ready, or to try to get him out myself

Elle
02-15-2007, 07:50 PM
actually i was wondering the same thing, because i have a new lovie too, and i was debating whether to leave the cage door open when in a secure room...
i tried it a few times and haku, my lovie, will just look at me with a curious expression on his face, and sometimes get close to the door but never really come out...
so i also dont know whether to let him come out when he's ready, or to try to get him out myself

I would not force him. Lovebirds are extremely curious. They will eventually come out on their own once they realise that their environment is safe. You can put things outside the cage to get their interests such as popsicle sticks, millet, sunflower seeds toothpicks etc.

jon333
02-15-2007, 08:21 PM
keep the doors open by's my bird was out 2 times tonight the first time since i had him :happy:

Elle
02-15-2007, 09:58 PM
It's a good sign :)

mewant1
02-16-2007, 12:31 PM
oh that's so great to hear!