PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds are...?

CaptMicha
02-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Are lovebirds parrots? Actual parrots? I'm a bit unclear on this.

Janie
02-18-2007, 12:44 PM
Yes, they are.

CaptMicha
02-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Cool! I have parrots! Tiny parrots... I don't know why but I haven't really thought of them as parrots all these years.

Eliza
02-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Lovebirds are indeed parrots. They are among the smallest of the hookbills :)

I think the name "lovebird" throws people off.

-e-

dovelady4
02-18-2007, 08:32 PM
yeah, when I first heard the name "lovebird" I thought they were something more like a finch. Lovies are most definitely parrots. Softbills don't bite as hard. Ouch!

linda040899
02-18-2007, 08:36 PM
With the exception of Macaws, hookbills that have short tails are parrots. Hookbills that have long tails are parakeets. Hookbills = Psittacines = either parrots, parakeets or macaws. Quaker Parrots are actually Monk Parakeets.

Janie
02-18-2007, 10:08 PM
With the exception of Macaws, hookbills that have short tails are parrots. Hookbills that have long tails are parakeets. Hookbills = Psittacines = either parrots, parakeets or macaws. Quaker Parrots are actually Monk Parakeets.

So, what about conures? I thought they were parrots but the "long tail" thing confuses me now. :confused:

Ayla's Mom
02-18-2007, 10:17 PM
I know that conures are considered in the parrot family, and that "parkeet" is a term used to refer to any bird of the parrot species with a long tail.
Yeah, LOVIES ARE PARROTS! Awesome, eh? ;)

cassysmiley
02-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Hi CaptMicha
i have put a link in for you , so you can read all about the species of lovebirds.
hth.
cassy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovebird

sdgilley
02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
My brother has Cockatiels and was insulted when I told him they were a member of the parakeet family. I don't know why it matter to him.

Before I got Peter, I bought Vera Appleyard's The Lovebird Handbook. If you haven't read it, I would really recommend it. The practical day-to-day living with lovebirds I learned here (and from the birds), but the book is a really good resource for education.

wilkiecoco
02-19-2007, 08:41 AM
When I tell people I have a parrot, a lovebird, they don't believe me. :mad: Most people, non-bird people, think they are in the finch family. I tell them they are big attitude parrots in small parrot bodies. :happy: :happy:

Janie
02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
When I tell people I have a parrot, a lovebird, they don't believe me. :mad: Most people, non-bird people, think they are in the finch family. I tell them they are big attitude parrots in small parrot bodies. :happy: :happy:

Robyn, same here! If it ain't Macaw size, people, or at least non bird people, don't think it's a parrot! :rolleyes:

YES, The Lovebird Handbook is the best book I've seen on basic lovebird info.