Saw this in today's Denver Post
I hope this link works - there is apicture there
http://www.denverpost.com/husted

If not, this is the text:

Lovebird's antics land 9-year-old owner a gig on the Ellen show
By Bill Husted

Denver Post Staff Columnist
Article Launched: 02/23/2007 01:00:00 AM MST

Avery Griggs and Carla will be on tv. Nine-year-old Avery Griggs is headed to Hollywood on Sunday with her lovebird Carla - to tape an appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

Seems her mom, Jackie Griggs, had 9News anchor Kim Christiansen and videographer Don Brookins at her house for an unrelated story last week when Brookins spotted Carla the Lovebird ripping a piece of paper into long strips and placing them into her tail. Seems Carla does this all the time for reasons not quite clear.

Brookins taped it, 9News showed it, Ellen's people saw it - and before you could say "Polly want a cracker?" Avery was booked to appear on the show.

You can see Carla at 9News.com; click on 4 O'Clock and scroll down to the clip titled "Bird with a love for paper."

Avery explains that she first named the bird Carlos after Carlos "El Pibe" Valderrama the soccer player but changed it to Carla, "because she started laying eggs."

Carla shares the animal duties at the Griggs household with another lovebird, Harriet (who started out as Harry - you guessed it), Marbles the Dog, Ozzie the Other Dog and Nigel the Snail. Marbles can play dead, but it's Carla who's the star - except with Avery's dad, Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain exec Tim Griggs, who hates the bird because she bites him.

Avery knows that Ellen played Dory in "Finding Nemo." John Travolta comes on the show right after Avery, and she knows he was in "Grease."

In addition to shredding paper and biting Dad, Carla cleans Avery's teeth and sticks her head in Avery's mouth. The show will air 3 p.m. Wednesday on Channel 9.

Ducky
02-23-2007, 11:42 AM
:rofl: That's funny! How often do news people take an interest in parrots as little as lovies?

I REALLY hope the owner at least knows why the lovie tears paper into strips. And that the biting husband thing could be curbed. Otherwise she's just gonna go on TV and talk about birds and misinform a lot of people.:mad: We don't need more of that.

Cool link though! That's awesome!:D

*Edit* Never mind I didn't realize she was only nine at first. As sad as it is, I doubt the TV reporters will think a nine year old knowledgeable enough to answer real questions. But that's another rant of mine. Also, I suspect the reason she doesn't know why her bird shreds paper is cause her parents don't want to explain "the birds and the bees." :) Or the birds and the birds in this case!

Janie
02-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Oh goody, I hope I made it! Ellen's been on for 20 minutes here but hopefully I didn't miss it.

Robin VZ
02-23-2007, 07:15 PM
I see video of birds with their heads in people's mouths all the time on Animal Planet and you'd think they'd know better. That and playing with cats who with one claw into skin could kill the bird within 24 hours, not to mention the cats that just want to eat the bird. >: Drives me nuts!

Eliza
02-23-2007, 07:46 PM
I wonder if this clip, which was shared on tailfeathersnetwork.com, is of the same bird: http://video.nbc4.tv/player/?id=62406

If the show is being taped on the 25th (which is what I inferred from the article) it likely won't appear on TV for another 2 weeks to a month.

-e-

wilkiecoco
02-23-2007, 08:19 PM
okay - i have seen some cute things on this site, but this takes the cake!!!!! i do not have hens, so while i have heard you guys talk about the tucking, i have never seen it. it is so amazing to see her tuck and then take them out when she goes back to the cage. i am in awe!!!!! :clap: :clap:

i have to go watch it again - for the fifth time!!!!!:lol

thanks for posting Eliza!!!!:)

Eliza
02-23-2007, 08:20 PM
It is really cute, isn't it :D

I've never seen a lovie do that in person but I saw a clip of one tucking paper on American's Funniest Home Videos YEARS ago. I was a little disappointed to learn that Beetle (DNA'd male) would likely never do that... oh well!

-e-

butterfly1061
02-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Olivia has been tucking everything she can get her little beak on - just like the video. Sometimes it amazes me how she can get all that tucked paper in her tail through the nestbox hole without a single paper falling. Cute video!

rmhand
02-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Tweety tucks paper under her wings, but not that many pieces at a time. She just does two or three then runs with those. This Lovie is precious.

chris631
02-23-2007, 10:47 PM
No offense to anyone , but if she made Ellen, Rica , my hen, could make the Tonight Show, Give her 5 min on my computer desk, and she can roll and tuck more joints then they have in Tiajuna(sp)

BarbieH
02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
No offense to anyone , but if she made Ellen, Rica , my hen, could make the Tonight Show

Here here! Gracie is the shredding queen in this household, and she tucks them in her tailfeathers like hair extensions. Such a pretty birrrrdie!

The edges of the papers she shreds look pretty nifty, too.

Peachy305
04-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Hi All,

Saw this in today's Denver Post
I hope this link works - there is apicture there
http://www.denverpost.com/husted

If not, this is the text:

Lovebird's antics land 9-year-old owner a gig on the Ellen show
By Bill Husted

Denver Post Staff Columnist
Article Launched: 02/23/2007 01:00:00 AM MST

Avery Griggs and Carla will be on tv. Nine-year-old Avery Griggs is headed to Hollywood on Sunday with her lovebird Carla - to tape an appearance on "The Ellen DeGeneres Show."

Seems her mom, Jackie Griggs, had 9News anchor Kim Christiansen and videographer Don Brookins at her house for an unrelated story last week when Brookins spotted Carla the Lovebird ripping a piece of paper into long strips and placing them into her tail. Seems Carla does this all the time for reasons not quite clear.

Brookins taped it, 9News showed it, Ellen's people saw it - and before you could say "Polly want a cracker?" Avery was booked to appear on the show.

You can see Carla at 9News.com; click on 4 O'Clock and scroll down to the clip titled "Bird with a love for paper."

Avery explains that she first named the bird Carlos after Carlos "El Pibe" Valderrama the soccer player but changed it to Carla, "because she started laying eggs."

Carla shares the animal duties at the Griggs household with another lovebird, Harriet (who started out as Harry - you guessed it), Marbles the Dog, Ozzie the Other Dog and Nigel the Snail. Marbles can play dead, but it's Carla who's the star - except with Avery's dad, Fox Sports Net Rocky Mountain exec Tim Griggs, who hates the bird because she bites him.

Avery knows that Ellen played Dory in "Finding Nemo." John Travolta comes on the show right after Avery, and she knows he was in "Grease."

In addition to shredding paper and biting Dad, Carla cleans Avery's teeth and sticks her head in Avery's mouth. The show will air 3 p.m. Wednesday on Channel 9.

wow funny you posted this I actually saw this episode and that is what got me interested in purchasing a lovebird I thought it was sooo pretty and way smart to be stucking hose strips so nicely.:happy: