PDA

View Full Version : Mr.Peepers is a BULLY!!!

Susan27
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
He has always been an annoyance to the others. Very inquisitive, like "hey I'm Peepers, who are you , whatter you doing, can I join, huh huh huh". And NOT giving up. Oh and he HATES hands.....bites too. The way he flies around to all the birds reminds me of a hummingbird.

NOW All he does when he is out with the flock is chase everyone. Up and down all the play structures until the other birds flies away. He goes into other's cages, waits for them to see and attacks them when they come into their own cage. It gets so bad, that I put him back in his cage before the others.

I have let Mr.Peepers and L. Chicken out on their own, but he antagonizes everyone left in their cages. Heck, he even tries to start fights when he's in his cage and everyone else is out.

I take Mr.Peepers and L.Chicken up to the living room with me by themselves sometimes, but geeze is he ever gonna learn to play nice?.

He's lived with me and the other birds for 5 months (so he is around 7 months old).

What do I do???

linda040899
02-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Whenever I have a lovebird (or any bird for that matter) with this kind of attitude, a water bottle works wonders for attitude adjustment. You seem to have tried everything else so getting wet may get the message across very quickly that he's doing something that he should not be doing. You need something that's instantaneous and water bottle that's set not for "stream" but not on "mist" either just may do the trick.

Christine9
02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Wow, that's too bad Susan. Sounds like he might be trying to protect his territory (his cage). Are you able to take all of the lovies out without them being able to see any of the cages? Maybe if he's out with the others, but can't see his cage (or theirs), he would behave better.

Anyway, Linda's advice does seems good though. I know it works with cats. Let us know if it helps. Good luck!

BarbieH
02-25-2007, 11:46 AM
Some birds are super territorial. They think they own everything, and in their minds, they do!

I would be careful about letting this bird socialize too freely with others. It can turn into a deadly situation if one of the other birds decides to fight back, or if Mr. Peepers gets the upper hand, er, wing.

I also would make sure that Mr. Peepers cannot get into other birds' cages when Peepers is out of cage. Make sure food dish windows are clipped shut.

Best wishes,

Buy A Paper Doll
02-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Are we sure Mr. Peepers is really a Mr.? Just curious. The behavior you're describing fits my henny penny to a T.

Susan27
02-25-2007, 05:06 PM
You need something that's instantaneous and water bottle that's set not for "stream" but not on "mist" either just may do the trick.
Thanks Linda, I completely forgot about my waterbottle. I used to use it on Kiko when she was getting ready to attack. I will be searching out my waterbottle tonight.

Are you able to take all of the lovies out without them being able to see any of the cages? Maybe if he's out with the others, but can't see his cage (or theirs), he would behave better.
They can see their cages, as their play area is on top of the cages. He tries to protect the play area, if he in another's cage he protects that, he flies over to me and tries to chase off whoever is there. I may just haul all 10 birds up to the living room for playtime...um...at least sometimes I may.:x :omg:

I also would make sure that Mr. Peepers cannot get into other birds' cages when Peepers is out of cage.
I am going to start doing that, thanks. Peepers and Chicken like to go into everyone else's cages, I call them the little squatters. I will now shut cage doors.

Are we sure Mr. Peepers is really a Mr.? Just curious. The behavior you're describing fits my henny penny to a T.
Um..I want him to be a boy, I live in my own little world where Mr.Peepers is a boy! Oh goodness if he is a she and the nasty nesties come on....oh boy...my own little world my own little world Mr.Peepers is a boy, a boy, a boy......:whistle: :x