PDA

View Full Version : going back in cage...

Flapjack
02-26-2007, 07:29 PM
Hi all- well, Flapjack is changing every day. Not biting so much while on me, but FREAKS OUT when it's time to go back home. As soon as I head toward the room with his cage, he starts screaming and he bites hard and clings to me while I'm trying to put him in. I try to take him out more than once after I get home (4:00) so he doesn't think it's the only time he'll get to come out. What is the best way to "de-velcro" without a big scene and ending on a bad note? He has fun toys and treats in there, but I haven't rewarded him for going back in because it's usually after biting me. Any ideas?

Cathy
02-26-2007, 08:38 PM
Most birds are very social and want to be where the action is taking place and with the family. Is it possible for you to move his cage to the room where you spend most of your time?

sdgilley
02-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi,
Your bird is still a baby. You mentioned that he/she was 8 weeks old in January. He or she is still learning much.

but I haven't rewarded him for going back in because it's usually after biting me
It may be hard to understand, but a lovie (especially a young bird) doesn't understand negative reinforcement. Even when I put my birds up for misbehaving, I act happy for them once they are inside. Lovies are wild animals and are here in our homes because we put them there.

I'm not trying to be hard on you at all, but you should reconsider your expectations of a bird that is only 3 or 4 months old. It's a baby, and you're not sure what it's sex is yet. When this baby becomes about 8 months old, it will go through some hormonal changes that will probably make this seem very small. :roll: These pretty babies will live over 15 years, with luck, and you have much time to tame your baby.

Patience, time, patience, time....

Flapjack
02-26-2007, 10:48 PM
Jack is actually 11 wks tomorrow. I keep losing track. The cage is in the "greatroom". Part of the living room, but somewhat separated by a room screen. He can see through it. You're right, I don't know for sure that he's a boy- he just looked like a boy when he was a baby, and I already have a female dog. Judging by what I've heard on here before, he may well be a girl. Oh boy... I still would welcome suggestions on how to get him in there without him screaming and hanging on. It can't be much fun for him to be angry when I put him away. I do always talk sweetly to him while he's in there, and give him treats throughout the day, just not right after he's bitten me.

sdgilley
02-27-2007, 07:18 AM
If there is a particular treat that he likes, give him that treat as he goes back into his cage. Peter (my first lovie) loves milliet. If I wanted him to come out (the opposite problem from what you had) I'd lure him out with millet. I didn't give it to him any other time, so that it remained special.

Try to avoid the bite if possible so you can reward Jack going back into his cage. Sometimes staying out too long makes them nippy. So get him out frequently - but for short periods of time. When Peepo (my hen) was a baby (11 weeks) I'd have her out and she'd bite when I returned her. So I started taking her out often for a short period. Soon she became accustomed to in and out. They realize going back isn't forever. Now, having said that - to this day if she doesn't want to go back inside, she nips - but not hard. It's just her way of communicating her displeasure at having to go back.

Biting and screaming or other vocals are their means for communication. Sometimes you'll recognize the body language and that helps. Biting is communication, so whenever you are bitten, you should think in terms of what they are telling you. After a while, you'll know and can aviod it better (hopefully).

michael
02-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Goofy lovebird is almost 2 years old and still is not pleased about going back in his cage. From 2 months to 5 months he would chew yer finger pretty hard. Having some sort of schedule may help a little, bed time, play time, etc. I tried giving very small treats to coax him but that only works occasionally, smart birds these little turds. The only time I've scolded him was when he was spending time with me and would bite to hard, and that was only verbal and I never sent him back to his cage for that. Returning to his cage was a different action not associated with being out. I've since had his wings clipped so at least now I dont have to chase him around to get him back in and the wing clip has changed his attitude a little (better) and so far hasn't changed his character at all. I know there's other ways to train them and gender plays a role too but I consider this part the fun of raising and getting to know each other. I look back at all the bites and arguments and can't help but smile knowing I'd do over and over again if I had to........Goofy N' Michael