PDA

View Full Version : boy...girl??

Lora & Marvin
02-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Ok, last question for a while...but no promises cause I'm a new mommy!
I know that peach's can't be identified physically as male/female....BUT does anyone have any tips that would help me to decipher, or make an educated guess as to Marvin's sex? ANYTHING...even if it's not 100% accurate...I'm just curious. Thanks so much for your input!!! Keep in mind he's not quite 3 months old...any traits specific to this age? Any? At all? hahaha...thanks again!!!!

linda040899
02-28-2007, 12:20 AM
I've been breeding lovebirds since 1990 and I've given up trying to guess what I have. DNA sexing is accurate and that's the best way to tell. Avian Biotec (http://www.avianbiotech.com ) does blood sexing for $19.95/test. Feather sexing is about $5.00 more expensive.

michael
02-28-2007, 06:26 AM
If it whispers sweet nothings in your ear but you can make out a faint "OH BABY" it MIGHT be a boy. Otherwise it MIGHT be a girl....Sorry..you may prefer linda's answer...I just couldn't help myself.......Goofy N' Michael

Lora & Marvin
02-28-2007, 08:18 AM
hahaha Thanks Michael....I'll keep that one in mind! BUUUUT this morning, I caught Marvin hiding little pieces of his beloved wicked in his back feathers....boo:( ....... does this mean he might be a girl??? He's just under 3 months of age....is there any other reason why he might tuck????

Elle
02-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Boys are known to tuck sometimes too. With lovebirds it's very difficult to tell the gender simply by behavior. Females are known to show male behavior such as rubbing themsleves on a favorite toy or person and males can display female behavior such as cutting paper stips and tucking. The only sure way to determine the gender is DNA sexing. With a female, the day she lays an egg, there is no more questions. If no eggs are laid, there will always be the questions is it a female who decided not to lay eggs or if it's really a male.