PDA

View Full Version : Untamed bird!!

sugraptx
03-02-2007, 09:41 AM
Becoming pregnant and having a rough first and second trimester, I have made the mistake of allowing my new bird to rule my kitchen before it has been trained! 8 months later, I finally have the time I need to spend training her but was wondering if it would be better to move her to a smaller cage with no freedom outside until she is tame? I am thinking that with patience and the fact that I have more control, she eventually has to give in?!
Would the best place to start be taking her out of the cage and into a little room? (I would do this in the least stressfull way I know. If she is in the small cage, I can unlatch the bottom so she can come out on her own. ) Or should I use the stick method so she controls exiting the cage? Please help!

BarbieH
03-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi, and welcome. :)

I like the idea of taking her into a smaller room with you. If you could do that conveniently with the cage your bird is in now, it would be better for her. (What's its name? :))

Moving her into a smaller cage won't help tame her. However, a wing trim will at least limit how far and fast she can move, and could quiet her down some.

Stick training takes time; it doesn't come naturally. Your bird may need to come out of the cage on her own before you train her to step up on the stick. This is something you could work on in that small room together. But first, I would recommend a wing trim.

Best wishes,

Janie
03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Check out the "Behavior and Taming" section, new and old threads. Lots of very helpful tips on working on taming a lovie. A small room, preferably a bathroom, is a good place to start. Cover mirrors and close the commode lid first. :) And I agree with Barb, a wing clip will do wonders in taming a wild lovie. It will take time and a whole lot of patience but I think it can be done. Good luck! :)

LauraO
03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
I would not suddenly stop your bird from being who she has been over the last eight months. You can work with her everyday for a few minutes in another room, and I would start with the step up command using a stick. If you do give her a wing clip, a modified clip is the best, meaning clipping four to five flight featers on each side. This will make it easier for you to work with her but still gives her some freedom and flight.

Really, the only thing you need to do is to be able to get her to step up on a stick to get her where she needs to go. My first lovie Zimber was one wild banshee bird. He's rolling up on seven years old and he hates hands but is very loveable and loves to play with us and torment us and be a part of most things we do. He's had the most freedom of any of our birds and spends most of his time doing what he wants when he wants to do it. The best thing about him is he's helped me readjust my idea of what being tame means and how being able to touch a bird isn't necessary for a deep, fun, and loving relationship.