PDA

View Full Version : to scared

cam98
06-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi
Id just like to post in to ask how i can reduce the stress for my birds when i change there food,fruit,veggies and water.Since ive taken the nestbox out my 3 birds have nowhere to hide they think im trying to catch them when i reach for the bowl.All of the birds work themselves into a stress fluttering madly around the cage im scared one of them accidently escapes out the big door :roll: .Any suggestions would be very much aprieciated as this is a difficult question 8o .
Thanks loads
CAM, YING, YANG AND OLIVE

mangotiki
06-21-2005, 08:22 AM
the ideal thing would be to have little doors that open up that you hang the dishes on...then you dont have to stick your hand in. It looked like your cage may have been home-made...can you fashion some smaller doors for the dishes??
or, if your door is hinged on the side, you could hang the food right on the big door.
traci

mjm8321
06-21-2005, 01:35 PM
If your cage only has the one big door, you can get stainless steel dishes that clip to the inside of the cage bars. You could even put the dishes on the big door so less stress on the birds of having your hands in the cage. You can also talk softly to them as you are changing dishes, move very slowly so they realize that you are not trying to get them. Trust takes a while for lovies, especially "wild" ones.
Since you mentioned you were afraid they would escape, I guess you don't let the lovies out. I was going to mention that changing dishes while lovies are playing outside the cage works very well.

Buy A Paper Doll
06-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Try hanging a lovie-sized toy in front of one of the perches so they can hide behind it. That's what worked for Melody.

Ladys580
06-21-2005, 08:27 PM
When my birds were in the nesting mode and didnt want anyone near the cage. I would offer up a piece of paper in front of the dish. They are so busy going for that you can easily change dishes.

shylevon
06-21-2005, 10:56 PM
Perhaps you could get into a routine of talking to them for a minute or two before you stick your hand in. Then, they will come to understand that it is feeding time, and they may not act so fearfully if they come to realize the hand will only be there for a moment and then it will be gone.

Some people hang a tent or cozy in the cage for the birdies to hide in until the danger passes. These can be pacifying to a terrified birdie, but they need to be checked daily for chewing holes and loose threads. You may also be able to buy a 'coconut hut' at the pet store that has holes drilled into it in about three or four places. It hangs from the ceiling of the cage. They are great for birds to hide in, and don't need to be checked as often. Birds will lay eggs in them if given the chance, though.

cam98
06-22-2005, 04:25 AM
Yes i do have a hand made cage and today i tried moving slower and it seemed to work :happy: My lovies are now getting along well and every day they seem to get a bit tamer :lol .There being encouraged by olive who seems a lot more tamer, whenever i start talking to them olive will fly to the perch closest to me give his tale a exited wag and start chirping but when i come within 2 feet of him he'l fly away :cry: .Is it possible that he once was tame but hasent been handled for a long time?
Thanks loads
CAM, YING, YANG AND OLIVE.
P.S ill get somthing for them to hide behind.

mjm8321
06-22-2005, 01:10 PM
It is possible he was tame and has gone back to being "wild". This might be a great opportunity for you to take Olive out and work with him. Even if he never was tame, some lovies just seem to be less scared than others.

LauraO
06-23-2005, 01:34 AM
I have several lovies that are not really tame or are scared even though they know me. I still work with them daily. Despite having 17 lovies, I have everyone of them (well not zim or squeak) step up on my finger and I give them kisses at least once or twice a day. The key is consistency and commitment to building a relationship with them.

I say let them escape and have some out of the cage time. They deserve it. Life is too short to stay in the cage :D.

cam98
06-23-2005, 05:40 AM
My birds cage is outside in my glass house so i cant let them out or they will fly into the glass i need to catch them in the cage then bring them in to my room whats the easiest way to catch them in there cage?also once there out and about my room how do i catch them again? i cant chase them with my hands ill never get near one. :rofl:
Thanks again

mjm8321
06-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Are they fully flighted? You might consider at least a partial clip to make it a lot easier on you to catch them. Being in a glass room might be a bit dangerous for them, especially if they have full flight as they can build up a bit of speed and go straight for the windows. Is it possible to cover the windows? Or perhaps move them into another room to work with them that has less glass. It can be difficult to catch them in the cage and a little stressful on them, but if you try to do it as quickly as possible, the less stress on them. Maybe try doing it while you clean the cage, take out some of the toys, dowels etc... so they have less to bounce off of. Another option, wait until they have bathed and are good and wet...they can't fly then (at least not as good as when dry ;) and you can handle them then.
Good luck!

cam98
06-23-2005, 03:29 PM
Im not intending to handle them in the glass room :omg: and i think i will catch them in there cage without diffuculty if i use a towel or something but whats worrying me is how to catch them even when there wet inside a big room :omg: , could i use a net or would it be dangerous? :D And i think i will have to clip there wings must i follow the advice on wing clipping on the internet or is they something else i need to know?
Thanks

mjm8321
06-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Here's a good link for wing clipping from the useful links section. http://www.lovebirdsplus.com/community/showthread.php?t=106

Once you have given them a wing clip, they'll be easier to handle; not necessarily easier to catch...cause they can be quick little ones.

As for a net, I sometimes think it would be really useful in catching a youngster that does not want to go back in the cage, but I've never tried one as I'd be afraid of hurting them. I'm sure other members have opinions and advice on that.