PDA

View Full Version : help guys!!!!!!!!!!

chris631
03-14-2007, 06:13 PM
ok, most of you know me, I'm lola and ricos dad.today i found out there son is a female and the new mate i got him is too. heres the delema. lola has taken to norma, bad,. is it possible to match his currrent mate rica with a new mate . I'm not worried about chad, he's 12 weeks old so is norma. ricas a little over a year as is lo.my question , is divorce possible in bird world? lol i want to look into getting 2 known males and matching every one up. helppppppppppppppppppppppp

bellarains
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey Chris,

It's the end of the work day here, and my brain is a little fried, so I'm trying to keep everyone straight. Norma is the new bird, right, or maybe it's Lola, either way....... If Lola has not been bonded with Norma for long, it may be possible to repair her. In the event however her heart is set on Norma, you may have a female/female bonded pair. You can try to repair them, just be prepared for it not to work.

If you do repair them, it will work best if they are not within sight, and earshot of one another. Good luck:)

Janie
03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Chris, are they religious birds and if so, does their religion frown on divorce? :rofl:

bellarains
03-15-2007, 08:43 AM
LOL,

I just re-read my reply, and I kept saying "repair" like they are broken or something:rolleyes: You know I meant re-pair, like put them with a new bird right???????:lol

Janie, I believe if Chris is the one to split them up, and put them with someone else, the choice was not theirs, so maybe they are safe from damnation;) ;)

Janie
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Janie, I believe if Chris is the one to split them up, and put them with someone else, the choice was not theirs, so maybe they are safe from damnation;) ;)

So....you're saying they are safe but Chris isn't? :rofl:

chris631
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
LOL wiseguys

Janie
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
LOL wiseguys

US????? I'm insulted! :rofl:

OK, I think Lola is a male, right, and Rica is the mother of his first clutch? As far as paring them or re-pairing them, Chris, I don't have a clue. I know it's been done successfully but I don't have a lick of exp. with that.

BarbieH
03-17-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Chris;

As I understand it, you can try to pair the birds with new mates, but it works best if you switch all birds at the same time, after the new ones have finished their quarantine. If your current pair is closely bonded, though, you may not want to try to split them up. It can lead to behavior problems, aggression toward the new mate, or simply an unhappy bird.

Birds have been known to select new mates and shun the old one. It's a matter of species survival, one bird finds another more attractive for the purposes of breeding and potential offspring.

Best wishes,

sdgilley
03-17-2007, 09:06 PM
Hi Chris,
I don't have experience much with this, except my bonded males want my hen (and can't have her) so it creates havoc to resist their lovebirdie wills.

Barb's advice is sound. Now the wiseguys.... :rofl: I think you nailed it!

linda040899
03-17-2007, 11:15 PM
I usually try not to split closely bonded pairs, as it usually will not work! You end up with unhappy birds which, in turn, makes me unhappy....

If you want to re-pair birds and have the new mates accepted, the former pair need to be out of sight and ear shot of the bird they were with originally. I usually introduce the birds being re-paired to their new mates at the same time so that no one gets lonely or frantic due to the change.