PDA

View Full Version : Ms. Jiggy is a bully

Ilovelovies
03-20-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure Ms. Jiggy is a girl but it's just guessing at this point. Sometimes she gets really hyper and starts running back and forth on the perch and generally terrorizing Bibble. Yesterday i caught her with a piece of brocolli tucked under her wing. I will have to get them DNA tested to find out for sure. I don't know if these two are related either, if they are boy and girl, that would not be good. Can they tell you that when you get them sexed?
Sharon

BarbieH
03-20-2007, 08:59 AM
Hi Sharon;

DNA sexing can tell gender, but it's not detailed enough to determine if the birds are related to each other. You would need to go back to the breeder's information to find that out.

If they are only related through one generation -- in other words, if their parents weren't also related -- they could safely produce chicks. If you can't find out for sure, it would be best to play it safe I think. They can still mate and produce eggs, but letting the eggs develop into chicks would not be advisable.

I have three bullies in my flock: Gracie, Betty (only with Gracie), and Didgit, who is a boy. It's typically but not exclusively a henny trait. :) The more important thing is to ensure the safety of Jiggy's cage mate.

Best wishes,

Janie
03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey (again) Sharon,

I read your other post first and replied there and then saw this one. Anyway, Barb has answered the sibling questions but I wanted to ask you about the "bully" behavior. Is she/he biting the other lovie? Do you think she might be a threat to the other lovie? It would be good to know how long these two have been caged together and some idea of their age. Lovies do have squabbles and that's to be expected but if they aren't getting along to the point of one getting injured, my inclination would be to separate them. Even if that means two cages that are side by side but not touching. If they are a bonded pair and that is possible with two of the SAME sex, I'd hate to suggest separating them and I would not do that unless you are seeing very bad bullying behavior by one. I would definitely have them DNA'd so that you'll have a better idea of what's what. Good luck and keep us posted. :)

butterfly1061
03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Sharon,

I have a male/female pair. The male I thought was a female can be bullied by the female and so I separated them for a bit. Before eggs where laid, I would allow them supervised play time and they were fine. Their cages are next to each other all the time. The male has a larger cage and when the female was allowed in she would chase the male around to the point the male would stay away from her. The female never bit for blood, but I didn't want it to get to that point. Just keep this in mind and keep your eye on them. :2cents:

Ilovelovies
03-20-2007, 01:23 PM
Thank you for your replies. Idon't know how long they have been together but i have been watching them very closely. Ms. Jiggy seems to "rule the roost'. most of the time they get along fine, but sometimes they just tie into one another for a minute, lots of screeching at each other and biting of toes. So far they have not drawn blood but i have been thinking about putting them in seperate cages next to each other. Usually the fighting starts over food or a toy. I hate to separate them but i will if ya'll think i should. I just don't know how much fighting is "normal".

Sharon

BarbieH
03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Hi Sharon;

That sounds pretty normal to me. Always be alert, though, to signs that one bird might be getting the worst of it -- any sign of blood, for instance, and those birds must be separated. Also, if the other bird starts spending a lot of time perched up high, hanging onto the walls of the cage away from the bully, they could probably use a break from each other.

Do you have two separate food dishes in the cage? That might help cut down on some of the sparring.

Best wishes,

Janie
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Sharon;

That sounds pretty normal to me. Always be alert, though, to signs that one bird might be getting the worst of it -- any sign of blood, for instance, and those birds must be separated. Also, if the other bird starts spending a lot of time perched up high, hanging onto the walls of the cage away from the bully, they could probably use a break from each other.

Do you have two separate food dishes in the cage? That might help cut down on some of the sparring.

I agree. :) I hate any kind of squabbling with my birds but it really is normal as long as it doesn't get nasty. I have two (DNA'd male clutch mates) and they are caged together but are not the best of friends. One is also a rule rooster, :lol, so I do make sure that there are at least three cups with food in the cage at all times so that the other boy doesn't have to deal with his brother when "Shy" cops and attitude. All three of mine do get along well when they're out together (about 4 to 8 hours a day) but I also keep several food cups around the bird room so that no one gets left out. And as Barb suggested, I do lock Shy up occasionally to give Oliver and Big Boi a break! That Shy can be such a trouble making party pooper! :lol But I sure do love him and his top cock in the bird room attitude. :D