PDA

View Full Version : Alternative lifestyles in birdland?

chris631
03-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Hey guys, been awhile just wanted to say hey to everyone and get some advice, of course.:) well... I got what i thought were 2 more males. Already have Rica and Lolo parents of Chaddie(she got a boys name, didn't think she was female when I named her) and her mate Norma jean. ok had the "boys"dna'd one boy ,one girl(and in the mean time they bonded,the male hates norma and vice versa, she'd rather be with chaddie. )ok long story made short. I got the old established couple, the new couple, and two lesbians, i guess, lol. they squabble, but seem to have paired off, showing no interest in the new male. Heres my question, I would like to hear from people who have 2 hen couples, I have read they make great parents, and lord knows Lolo would do the deed with Norma, but what happens if Norma lays a clutch with Chad in the same cage? Will chaddie assume the role of the father? She is very protective of Norma now, and seems to be the dominate of the two. The irony kills me, here I am a gay man, but want all my children to be hetrosexual, Hmmm..maybe I will vote republican......NOT,lol...serious would love some feedback, gonna order new cages this weekend:rofl: Chris

Janie
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Chris, :lol

If you don't start getting those lovies DNA'd before you buy them, you are going to end up with hundreds of lovies! :D I can't answer any of your "pairing" questions cause for me it's "all males, all the time!"

mjm8321
03-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Chris, thank for the laugh. :rofl:

Hens will nest together and one can and will take on the male role. I recently had a pair (that I did not DNA) but knew something was up when both the "male" and female had torpedo butt and laid a total of 12 eggs in the nest box. The relationships can work, just keep an eye out for aggression, not necessarily just with each other, but towards the other pairings.

Buy A Paper Doll
03-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Chris, I can't answer because I have a male and female. At least, I think the male is a male. If he isn't, I want a refund on that DNA test!

Shy has a couple of pairs of hens who go through the whole breeding cycle like MJ described.

Jackie *thought* she had a pair of hens ... until she found babies in the nest box... :omg:

bellarains
03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Chris,

First, yep, I agree, you crack me up:rofl:

As far as the cage situation goes, I would have an extra handy, as some hens can become very territorial when egg laying mode sets in, so if you do have to seperate them, you are ready.

As far as pairs? What will be, will be. (Mmmmm, yep, Doris Day;)) If you end up with a F/F pair, as long as they are happy, I'd leave it at that.

chris631
03-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks guys, ok Shy give me some feedback(if your reading this) hey Shy, we were both born in the year of the "rat", thanks again guys