PDA

View Full Version : Pet Food Recall - Update

linda040899
03-24-2007, 10:59 AM
Science Diet has been added to the list of recalled products. Check the following URL:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17689821/

linda040899
03-26-2007, 10:00 AM
I was wondering just how long it would take for this to happen:
http://www.mississauganews.com/mi/news/story/3922983p-4534345c.html

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Woman sick after eating tainted dog food

The Mississauga News
Mar 25, 2007

An Ottawa woman has become sick after eating dog food that might have come from a Mississauga pet food company forced to issue a recall after rat-poison was found in some of its products, the Ottawa Citizen is reporting.
Elaine Larabie told The Citizen she ate dog food last week in an effort to get her dog, Missy, to try some. The woman and dog were soon taken to hospital with Larabie complaining of loss of appetite, vomiting and foaming of the mouth.
The woman is currently awaiting the results of medical tests.
Streetsville-based Menu Foods issued a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of wet pet food earlier this week. The recall is expected to cost the company anywhere from $30-$40 million.
On Friday, officials in the United States confirmed reports that a chemical spray designed to kill rodents was discovered on Chinese wheat found in the pet food.
The recall includes dog and cat food sold throughout North America under brands such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. Larabie said she fed her dog a bit of Iams food and, after calling the company, confirmed it was affected by the recall and that it may have been contaminated with the poison. A complete list of recalled products can be found by visiting www.menufoods.com/recall or by calling 1-866-463-6738.

Susan27
03-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Who eats dog food??????:rofl: :x

linda040899
03-26-2007, 11:02 AM
More people than you might expect do this. Prices have gotten so high in today's society that there are actually folks who use dog food in place of the human food that they can't afford.

How it happened is very logical. She was tasting it, hoping her dog would do the same thing. We do this with our birds.............

Janie
03-26-2007, 11:36 AM

I've read about that for years. People eating dog food because they could not afford people food. Very sad.

I knew that Science Diet had been added but I only feed Chelsea their dry food. I use Caesar "wet" food, added to the dry Science Diet, and if they are telling me the truth, none of their products (Mars Company) have been recalled.

BarbieH
03-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I've read about that for years. People eating dog food because they could not afford people food. Very sad.

It is indeed. People who can't afford human food buy a lot of cat food too. People on Social Security and nothing else, for instance, can have a very hard time. They either pay for food or pay for medicine that's necessary for their health, but they often can't do both.

mjm8321
03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
Though I do know many, especially elderly eat pet food, something smells fishy about this woman eating the dog food in order to get her dog to eat it; especially last week" after worldwide media coverage of tainted dog food all over the news? Honestly, it sounds a bit like she was looking for a way to get some money. Just my :2cents:

Wilsta
03-26-2007, 04:50 PM

I knew that Science Diet had been added but I only feed Chelsea their dry food. I use Caesar "wet" food, added to the dry Science Diet, and if they are telling me the truth, none of their products (Mars Company) have been recalled.

That is really sad I am just glad in australia we dont have such bad poverty like in america that people resort to dog food. such a shame.

Janie
03-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Though I do know many, especially elderly eat pet food, something smells fishy about this woman eating the dog food in order to get her dog to eat it; especially last week" after worldwide media coverage of tainted dog food all over the news? Honestly, it sounds a bit like she was looking for a way to get some money. Just my :2cents:

No joke, MJ! I wondered the same thing. Yes, I did eat plenty of broccoli while I was trying to get Oliver to try it...carrots, too, but NEVER have I tasted dog food to spark my dogs interest. I agree, a little fishy with the timing of the recall. :rolleyes:

Susan27
03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
I have never heard of people eating dog food instead of human food, me and my sheltered life. That is completely sad.

I agree with MJ, sounds a little fishy. What I should have said was: "who eats dog food when this story has been so widely published".