PDA

View Full Version : A new cage for Oscar!

Oscar
04-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Hey guys!
I've been thinking about asking my parents for a new cage for my lovely little lovie Oscar. Currently he has a pretty decent cage( pretty big for just one lovebird, but I'm bored of it and need a change LOL), I want a bigger one (not massive but a little bigger for him). I Live in Toronto, and was wondering if anyone had any great suggestions about cages in that area. Personally i want it to be black iron (not the harmful type like painted on sort of deal) and maybe a play gym on top:happy: :happy: :happy: ! I don't even know if these exist :rofl: But any suggestion would be lovely! Thanks again I'm going to try and get more picture of him soon but I have been extremely busy with finals! >: :roll:

bubble
04-06-2007, 05:10 PM
this guy is located in scarborough, ontario, i've bought 4 cages from him and they are ok. check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Parrot-cage-Conure-Lovebird-Cockatiel-Amazon-A11_W0QQitemZ140103630893QQihZ004QQcategoryZ46289Q QcmdZViewItem

Emery
04-06-2007, 05:19 PM
this guy is located in scarborough, ontario, i've bought 4 cages from him and they are ok. check this out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bird-Parrot-cage-Conure-Lovebird-Cockatiel-Amazon-A11_W0QQitemZ140103630893QQihZ004QQcategoryZ46289Q QcmdZViewItem
I also have a cage from them. Good quality, ok prices, good customer service.

michael
04-08-2007, 02:53 PM
SAY, My Goofy really needs one so I think I'm going ahead with purchasing one. At first I asked for bar spacing but since have gotten the answer. I seen these at Pet supplies plus for $239. and theirs weren't escape proof when removing bottom shelf for cleaning, a small option but kind of nice......Michael Goofy

Elle
04-08-2007, 05:04 PM
SAY, My Goofy really needs one so I think I'm going ahead with purchasing one. At first I asked for bar spacing but since have gotten the answer. I seen these at Pet supplies plus for $239. and theirs weren't escape proof when removing bottom shelf for cleaning, a small option but kind of nice......Michael Goofy

Michael,

keep in mind this supplier is located in Canada. The shipping may cost more to the states and you may have to pay and import tax on top of it all. I know when Bomom bought a cage and it was shipped from the states she had a wonderful extra fee that made her wallet a lot lighter. You may want to inquire about that first.

Best regards,

michael
04-08-2007, 05:47 PM
Michael,

keep in mind this supplier is located in Canada. The shipping may cost more to the states and you may have to pay and import tax on top of it all. I know when Bomom bought a cage and it was shipped from the states she had a wonderful extra fee that made her wallet a lot lighter. You may want to inquire about that first.

Best regards,
Glad you reminded me. I didn't even think about that. And you know the prices are always so close already. Thanks Elle......Goofy Michael

rmhand
04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
I got a nice cage similar to this one without the play top for only $125 at the bird fair last year. Michael: If a bird fair comes to your area you may want to check it out. You can find some great prices on cages without the shipping costs. We've got another one coming up next weekend. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

michael
04-09-2007, 08:35 PM
GOTCHA! I'll be looking and ready.....with Goofy's eyes!

Eliza
04-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Bird Paradise ships to Canada, I believe... their on-line store is www.mybirdstore.com. They have a nice selection of cages and excellent customer service.

-e-

michael
04-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I did pick up a cage today at Pet Supplies "Plus". Got a good deal due to slight damage to bottom tray. I believe the model I got was the Nina with a playpen on top made by Avian Adventures, http://www.avianadventures.com, sorry you'll have to type that in. I got the white powder coat because it brightened up Goofy's space and its easier to spot dirt or damage. Nice door latches have spring latches that screw in to lock making it virtually impossible for birds to manipulate. 5 stainless steel bowls, three in cage, 2 on top with holders and a toy hook on top. 1/2 in. bar spacing, 19x19x25 in. high inside cage area with overall height 60" minus toy hook. Original price was $239. add tax 251. I managed to get it for 214. with original warranty. I got tired of searching the internet and ebay stores as there was always some added detail to my disadvantage. The only problem my friends had who already have these type heavier quality cages is that they all trap water inside the square frame bars and this is what causes premature rust. We've drilled small air holes underneath where water would most likely settle as drains and use compressed air when possible to blow out water after washing. I'm positive some of you are already familiar with these cages but I thought they deserved a second look.......Thanks, Michael and Goofy

Oscar
04-11-2007, 08:31 PM
That is actually what I wantt!! I'm soo jealous.. Oscar would be to.. I'm going to slip this link into my parents e-mails and hope for the best :rofl:

Thanks again

Suz & Oscar

Eliza
04-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh, I LOVE Avian Adventures cages. I've narrowed it down to a Nina with a dometop for Beetle's new cage. They are really nicely made cages and have a loyal following amongst bird owners.

-e-

michael
04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
What I also wanted to mention was Eliza's link to mybirdstore.com also carried avian adventure cages. The higher prices might reflect the middleman approach to shipping them to Canada. Although I'm really not sure. I really like these cages and if it wasn't for the play top advantage I would have got the dome top "flight" cage for more Goofy room instead. Their worth spending a little more on if necessary. I'm slowly setting it up with a new bird buddy snuggie in one of the bowl holders in hopes he'll us it for a bed and be more comfortable. New perches, a swing, and a small boing. And lord knows what else. He's getting interested little by little and I think he'll really like it when he settles in......Michael N' Goofy

bubble
04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
i hope there is something like that in canada, i wanna get my fids 2 stainless steel cages.

Eliza
04-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Michael - Are the AA cages really as easy to set up as the video leads you to believe? I haven't heard or read much indicating that they are difficult...

Mimi - SST cages that are appropriate for lovies are hard to come by, unfortunately. Most are HUGE cages for Amazons & macaws and have bar spacing that's way too big. Avian Adventures used to make the Nina in SST but it wasn't a good seller. I missed out on a marked down one for $200!

That said, you may come across SST cages in Canada. Do let us know ;)

-e-

ETA: Here are links to Featherland folding SST cages w/ appropriate bar spacing for lovies:

http://www.featherlandproduct.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=451

http://www.featherlandproduct.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=456

michael
04-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Eliza, Yes they are. I've taken ours apart and reassembled it. Just plug it together and use the locking tabs, no nuts or bolts. And I didn't get instructions manual or see the video either. The casters could be a little better but its not like we're gonna take the cage for a walk through the park. In order to get a larger cage with proper bar spacing the dome top is the next size up. The larger playtop after the nina are unfortunately for larger birds. I'm hoping they offer more variety in the future but so far the nina meets our needs and safety concerns......Michael

bubble
04-12-2007, 09:53 PM
what do you think of kings cages?? this is the one i am thinking of getting but shipping cost is way too expensive.

check out this one:
http://www.kingscages.com/shop/view_product.php?product=207%20SS

michael
04-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Its so hard to see latches, assembly points, or whether their escape proof when cleaning. I like the hands on up close approach. Definitely pricey! Got several messages about using their photos and info to sell other cages.Turned me off right away. My gut instinct says no and its never let me down.....GoofyMichael