PDA

View Full Version : Three's Company

romeoandjulietlovies06
04-14-2007, 08:02 PM
We are moving in the next month and romeo and juliet are going to be in my room just like now but our quaker parrot Joey is also going to be in my room. Joey is currently in my parent's bedroom. The three birds haven't been out together that often because Joey is a mean-butt and Romeo and Juliet are very invasive with Joey space. How can I keep the lovebirds and the quaker in the same room and still have everyone happy and safe?

linda040899
04-14-2007, 08:43 PM
The lovebirds will need their out of cage time while Joey is in his cage. When Joey is out, the lovebirds need to be in. You may want to try keeping their cages on opposite sides of the bedroom and clip flight feathers so that they can't fly far enough to visit each other's cages. Toolie, my new Quaker, is out a lot when I'm home and she likes to socialize with the lovies. So far, so good. She's not gone after any of them and they've not nipped her toes... :)

romeoandjulietlovies06
04-14-2007, 09:02 PM
thanks the lovebirds wing are clipped but the quaker's wings aren't because mom never wanted to clipped them but as soon as we move her wings will be clipped(lol)

shylevon
04-15-2007, 12:36 PM
Sounds like you may have a noisy situation brewing.

Perhaps after the birds are all housed in the same room for a few weeks, or months, they may become more tolerant of each other.

romeoandjulietlovies06
04-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Tonight they all came out together with me and my mom. Everything went fine Joey didn't get nippy and they even sit on the same chair back and didn't bother each other. Romeo and Juliet gave Joey a lot of space which was a big change. Hopefully this new good behavior will carry over to the new house.Another question I'm planning on putting Joey in a new cage, should I wait until he gets used to the new room before i put him in the cage or go ahead and put him in the new cage? Thanks for you help.

shylevon
04-15-2007, 10:54 PM
I would wait to put Joey into the new cage until after he is settled into the new room. To much change can make for a nervous birdie. Also, if any changes in behavior should begin, it is best to have some idea on what changed at any particular time that may have triggered it. Say he should begin self mutilation or feather pulling. It would be helpful to understand if the new room (and possibly allergies) caused it or the stress of a new cage.

romeoandjulietlovies06
04-15-2007, 11:58 PM
ok thank you