PDA

View Full Version : Getting a bird from a breeder.

khabibulin
04-29-2007, 04:25 PM
I think that my bird needs a friend so I was thinking about getting another one and keeping them in the same cage. I am just wondering how much babies cost to get from breeders and if they ship them.
My bird is very happy chirps alot and has never had any problems. Whenever I paly videos or sounds of other lovebirds he jumps out of his cage and seems to be very intrested.
So what are your thoughts?

Thanks

Chiappone
04-29-2007, 04:43 PM
It depends on where you and what breeder you decide to buy from, they all do it differently. I've seen prices be anywhere from $40 to $300 depending on the breeder and the mutation of the bird. Some I've seen that will ship others don't... It really varies from place to place and breeder to breeder.

khabibulin
04-29-2007, 04:56 PM
^ Thanks alot.
Do you know of any good breeders or websites that have birds for sale?
Also my cage right now is around 14" x 18" x 21". Is this big enough for 2 birds?

Janie
04-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Personally, I don't think your cage is big enough for one bird, much less two. Two birds need lots of space when caged together and when you add several perches, food and water bowls and lots of toys, you need a lot more space than that. The cage that I use for two is: 39 inches high, 31 inches across and 19 inches deep. The bar spacing is 1/2 inches.

You don't mention your location but many breeders in the US (and elsewhere, I'm sure) do ship. My breeder happens to live about 30 minutes from me but she does ship via air. As far as prices, you'll find lovies anywhere from $40 to $100 at most bird fairs and my breeder sells them from around $75 for a normal peachface lovebird to well over $100 for a special mutation. If you do get a buddy for your lovie, it's best to know what sex your bird is and the sex of the bird you'd be getting. Males usually get along well together but two females don't. Not always but "usually." Males and females usually get along but sometimes need to be separated from time to time if the hen gets nesty (nasty!). If you don't want them to breed, that is something else to consider ahead of time. If you do get another bird, a minimum 30 day quarantine (separate cages, separate rooms and air space) is very important and mainly for the protection of the bird you already have. I would also recommend a vet check for a new bird as soon as you get one.

A single lovie that gets lots of time and attention, IMHO, will be a very happy bird and doesn't have to have a mate. If your bird has toys to keep him occupied while you are gone, he's probably just fine. I had a single bird for 2 years before I added two more. He does like them a lot (all three are males and I did have the second two DNA'd before I bought them) but I think he was also happy before they joined our family.

BirdTalk Magazine does have listings of breeders in the back section of the magazine and depending on you location, you might find that there are breeders in your area. Good luck in your decision! :)

Oh, I forgot to add that there are some good rescue sites and that would be a good way to find a bird that really needs a loving home. You might check that out, too.

Jessica
04-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Some good advice I got when considering new additions was to be prepared for the birds to hate each other. I was also told to never get a bird because you think your's is lonely. Any new bird should be adopted because you'd like another and are prepared to do twice the work. I just got another lovebird and we don't ever plan on them sharing a cage. I am hoping they will enjoy out time together but we are at the beginning of our journey. For now we have an indefinite quarantine because our second has a injury. It's a lot of work but in my opinion worth it. Of course I'm lucky not to be working so everyone is getting enough attention. I wish you the best of luck in your decision too.

khabibulin
04-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Well I am thinking get another bird and get a big cage that will hold both of them. And after a week or 2 with the first bird I will let both of them out to see if they like each other and keep a close eye on them. Then after a week if they enjoy each other I will put them both together in one bigger cage.
Also I live in Colorado Springs, CO and I found 4 breeders in my area.

Another thing, I will most likley just buy a male, so I am safe eighter way.

Emery
04-29-2007, 06:46 PM
Well I am thinking get another bird and get a big cage that will hold both of them. And after a week or 2 with the first bird I will let both of them out to see if they like each other and keep a close eye on them. Then after a week if they enjoy each other I will put them both together in one bigger cage.
Also I live in Colorado Springs, CO and I found 4 breeders in my area.

Another thing, I will most likley just buy a male, so I am safe eighter way.

First off, the birds shouldn't meet until ATLEAST 30 days for quarantining. QTing is very important when bringing in new birds. And unless you're willing to take the risk, I'd keep them seperated for atleast 30 days (45 would be ideal).
Second, after QTing they should be placed with their cages side by side so they can slowly get used to eachother. Even if you let them out and they get along, I would wait much, much longer than 1 week to put them together. They may appear to get along, but may not enjoy eachother in eachothers' cages.

Janie
04-29-2007, 09:56 PM
Yes, a 30 day quarantine is the minimum and my vet said that 90 days is best. A week or two puts your bird in possible danger if the new bird has a disease.