PDA

View Full Version : Oh.. Whoops.

Kaye
04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
So, I went to the bird fair today. Lately there's been hardly any lovebirds at the shows, and I had no intent on buying any birds.

Buuuut.. at first I fell in love with a $200 special-needs parrotlet (he had a funny underbite beak). At least that one I told myself "No" to.

Then came the Lovebirds. I started crying the first cage I came to because there were two Creaminos and they reminded me so much of Aleda. I held them, they were kinda un-tame, but it was cute. I continued on around the cages eventually to a different breeder. They had a bunch, like 20 lovebirds, babies and older ones. Well, the babies are adorable, of course, and these ones would just run and tumble to your fingers when you put them to the cage because they were still so 'FEED MEEE' ish. There was a lutino in the mix who was particularly cute when doing this, and I got to hold him. The lady told me he was super sweet and was her favorite and I could see why right away. He's a beggar, does that little wing flip and sits down low in hopes of being handfed. She said to make an offer after I told her I didn't know if I could afford $50. I said I'd think about it and stuff and she said she'd try to hold on to him for me. My step dad had hinted that I really really shouldn't get another bird so I was unsure. I'm moving to a new apartment in a month and need to pay $900 up front so I have to be careful. Well, he pulled me aside and gave me $16 to add to my pool so I could make an offer.

So, I come home +1 lovebird. Beautiful Lutino, and a plus? He's a velcro bird. I've named him Duke. Mom was like "You should name him Duke because he looks like he's got his dukes up!" Silly reason (though she had a point, he's so weird with holding his wings and twitching them!), but I liked the name! He is around 9 weeks they said and has been weaned for a week (something I doubt with as much as he's begging! I'm going to watch his poo's very carefully to make sure he's eating enough..).

Of course, this thread would be worthless without pictures, so:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092744391

LauraO
04-29-2007, 08:21 PM
What a cute little baby! I like the story about his name:D . I don't know what others will say, but if little Duke is begging a lot I would try and supplement him with some formula. Being taken away from his home to a bird fair then a new home may have set him/her back a little.

:D :D :D :D

Kaye
04-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Yes, I'm going to get some tomorrow morning (I tried tonight but everywhere closes at 6 or 7! Augh!). At least then I can be sure he weans off properly if he hasn't.

linda040899
04-29-2007, 08:28 PM
Kaye,
I was just about to ask how long this one had been weaned when I read that you said 1 week. I would be prepared to offer handfeeding formula once/day for the next week or so. How old did the breeder say he is? Moving from one home to another can cause a little one to revert back to wanting to be fed. Sounds like you have the situation under control, however!

Cute, cute, cute! :)

Kaye
04-29-2007, 08:36 PM
He said 9 weeks, but they didn't have a hatch day for me unfortunately (I wish they would have.. I like knowing..). I got Oliver at 8 weeks and he didn't do any of this though, and I didn't hand-feed Aleda's babies, so I don't know if it's 'normal' for a 9 week old hand-fed lovebird. All the exceptionally young ones in the cage with him were doing it too (though not with the silliness of the wings as much!).

He did say he was doing something with them I haven't heard of much where he'd keep giving them a 'special' hand-feeding - he didn't say how often wether it was once a day or once every few days - to keep them tamer until they found homes. I think that might be a reason why he's such a baby if he really is 9 weeks.

And yes, cute cute cute! He is so sweet, he's still making his scratchy baby peeps (I remember that noise from Aleda's babies!) and is so cuddly. He took a nap under my hair cuddling in to my neck earlier.

butterfly1061
04-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Kaye,

He is adorable! I remember when Molly (my Lutino) was that age *sigh*. :)

michael
04-29-2007, 09:32 PM
Duke even looks like a generous lovebird. What a little sweetie! Love his colour. I can see how he would stand out in the eye's of the right person........Michael and Goofy's sound asleep

shortncrazy2
04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Duke is very beautiful

Susan27
04-29-2007, 10:35 PM
What a sweetie! He is BEAUTIFUL!!! I almost named my bird Woogie, Duke. She's Dayzee's cage mate (get it, Dayzee Duke...I didn't like the Duke's of Hazzard that much....lol).

Eliza
04-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Duke is just darling :)

I don't think I could handle going to a bird fair -- far too tempting ;)

Best wishes with the new addition,

-e-

Jessica
04-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Duke is adorable!

Kathryn
05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Duke is a doll! And a hungry little beggar!
Did your breeder give you information on Duke's parents or tell you a DNA test showed Duke is for male.
If mom and dad were both Lutino, then Duke could be a boy. If just Dad was Lutino, then Duke is a girl.
Lutino's are one of my favorite mutations.

dani
05-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Duke is absolutely beautiful... *secretly grieving for a velcro birdie*

Buy A Paper Doll
05-01-2007, 08:49 PM
What a sweetie!

Ducky
05-02-2007, 04:50 PM
I was just wondering where you went to a bird fair at? I saw you lived in Nebrasaka, and I'm in Laramie,WY and haven't been able to find any near here, even in Denver! Just wondering, I've been wanting to go to a bird fair for some time...:whistle:

Chiappone
05-02-2007, 10:18 PM
What a cute little guy! I wish I could find a fair to go to around here, but then again I'd prob end up bringing another home...

Kaye
05-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Ours is in Omaha, Nebraska. The "Greater Omaha Caged Bird Society" our local bird club, throws 2 a year.

Ah, so Duke is likely a girl. There's another whoops on my part. :rofl: I knew that with Creaminos most of them are female but I didn't know if the same thing applied to Lutinos. I suppose it makes sense that it would! I'll have to get him/her DNA'd then see what I should do about that name! Ack!

I'm handfeeding twice a day, gonna go to one tomorrow, turns out he was 8 weeks and a day old when I brought him home.