PDA

View Full Version : Lovies and Budgies????

Islandbirdies
05-03-2007, 10:56 AM
I have 4 budgies that my lovebird Lola just loves, through the bars. I have seen a few avitars that have budgies and lovebirds so if anyone with experience could give me some advice, I'd like to let them out together for some supervised play time if it's safe to do so. thnks.

Ducky
05-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I dunno why not? So long as its supervised anyway. I bet a lovebird could take quite a chunk out of a budgie!:omg:

mjm8321
05-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Supervised is the key word. Lovebirds can be very aggresive and a poor little Budgie could lose a toe really quickly.

Mummieeva
05-03-2007, 02:21 PM
I had lovebirds and budgies once at same time. My lovebirds though budgies were evil and tried to get rid of them. I never let them out at same time as they are so small compared to lovebirds. I would do it under very supervised conditions. Would not turn back for a second to be safe.

Steph

LauraO
05-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I would go ahead and see how they do. If you're supervising then it would be okay. I have not had so much luck with my lovebirds and parakeets. Someone dropped off a cage of parakeets at my door last year and the lovebirds are just too aggressive for them. In fact, yesterday I bought a big cage for the keeters to live in without fear. I think they prefer being locked up safe in a cage instead of roaming around with lovebirds hellbent on taking them down:x .

Elle
05-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I have two budgies and two lovebirds. One of the budgies is tolerated by the lovebirds and one of the budgie is pretty much the outcast. The tolerated budgie is absolutely infatuated with my lovebird Blu. Phoebe does become agressive at times with it. Again, the key word is tolerated. You have to be extreemely caustious and supervise at all time. Lovebirds are MUCH more agressive than budgies and injuries can happen withthe blink of an eye.

Jessica
05-03-2007, 08:21 PM
I've tried to let Celestino fly in the aviary with my other birds. Every time the first thing he did was to fly after them and had to be removed. To be honest I'm even worried about introducing Ollie, my new lovebird to Celestino. Celestino seems to want to nip first and ask questions later. It's kind of sad because he's infatuated with other birds but doesn't seem to play well with others.

Kirby
05-03-2007, 10:55 PM
Celestino sounds like a big dog with big dog playfulness...

More so meaning: A big dog plays with every other dog like it's the same kind of dog... your Lovie is having fun like he would with other lovies

That's the way I look at it... If you're raised to play rough you'll try to do it with every other kid ....
If that makes sense :P

Jessica
05-04-2007, 12:27 AM
That's Celestino alright. He's a lovebird and doesn't let you forget it:happy: .