PDA

View Full Version : chewing paper

emmab
05-07-2007, 12:19 PM
when my two (very untame!) lovies are in their cage they are scared stiff of new things - I recently bought them a swing, which is now the biggest evilest thing on God's earth ( :roll: ) yet.....

when they come out the cage they chew up magazines (is it dangerous for them to eat them? :( ), swing from various points they find and have a WHALE of a time! :happy:

now I tried tying bits of paper in their cage and they completley ignored it - typical!

any advice to help them to be more playful? :confused:

butterfly1061
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't let them chew on the magazine paper if you can help it. It has a finish that is not good for lovies. I keep a ream of white computer paper for my lovebirds to chew when ever they like.

One thing I do it take a square of Avi-Cake and put it in a small square of paper and connect it through the bars of the cage. It's called foraging and they have to work for their treat. I also let my lovebirds play with heavy-duty plastic cat bells. I don't use the thin plastic ones. Each bird cage has one on the bottom of the cage and they love them. My Olivia just beats hers up - the evil little hen :lol :2cents:

wilkiecoco
05-08-2007, 01:53 PM
jackie - how do you connect the paper to the bars of the cage? i love the idea of doing this for a foraging toy! :)

butterfly1061
05-08-2007, 02:40 PM
I'll take a picture for y'all & try to post it tonight. It's hard to explain how I get it to stay. :)

butterfly1061
05-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Here's a link to the pictures. I use a square of computer paper. An 8x11 sheet makes four pieces. I put the treat in the middle twist the paper in the back and then slightly untwist so I can weave the paper through the bars. Usually I don't put this in the cage unless they are out of the cage. All my lovies get so excited when they know I'm putting this in their cage. I also usually put the paper treat somehwere in the cage for them to find (not so obvious like in the pictures). http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2092370269

emmab
05-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I put a treat in one of their toys and they still haven't worked it out! silly birdies! LOL

wilkiecoco
05-26-2007, 04:43 PM
jackie - just saw your pm today. thanks for posting the pics - it is real clear how you do it now. i'm gonna try tomorrow!!!

shortncrazy2
05-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I like to shred newspaper into strips and have part of it hang in the cage. The lovebirds love it. Just don't use the pages with tons of color and advertisments.

wilkiecoco
05-27-2007, 02:59 PM
It worked!!!!!!! I put in a nutriberry, his favourite kind, spicy red pepper, and after a little arguing with the paper, (him, not me) he chewed until he got to his treat. YEAH!!! He has never shown interest in any of the paper I have threaded through his cage bars, so this was a great idea. Nothing like food to get Kiwi's interest. Thanks again Jackie! :)

butterfly1061
05-27-2007, 06:36 PM
:happy: I'm so glad you tried it! It's amazing what sparks their interest, huh? Everytime I put this in Daisy's cage, he sqeals with excitement when he finds it. :D