PDA

View Full Version : Might be Adopting a Lovebird

shortncrazy2
05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
I have been waiting about 3 weeks to foster the pairs of lovebirds and I hae finally gave up waiting to try to help. :(
But in that time I had deciced that I wanted to help find another bird a home. I was looking around and I found a 2 year old lovebird, with cage, toys, food and ect that needs a home- the bird is very tame from what I have been told. It is not getting the attention that it needs and they want to find a home for it.
I am thinking about getting this bird (I call it bird since I don't know a name yet). I do know how to take care of birds- I do have a green cheeked conure.
I was wondering if there is anything I should watch for when I go to look at the bird. I have seen pictures and the bird looks very healthy, but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

I do plan to quaritine the bird when it gets here. I am going to put its cage in a different room then my conure for about a month.. they will both get their special time with me.

Janie
05-10-2007, 04:47 PM
The only other thing I'd recommend for sure is taking the new bird for an exam by an avian vet. When I got my last two, I did take them in immediately and started quarantine the day they came home with me. If this lovebird was the only bird in the house, he/she is probably fine but it's better to have it vet checked first. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Eliza
05-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree with Janie -- a visit with the avian vet is always in the best interest of ANY birds in the house, particularly a new one.

I'm sorry that things don't seem to be working out with the foster situation. I do hope that you'll be able to take in the lovie!

Give some extra skritches to the GCC -- they are just darling, aren't they?

-e-

shortncrazy2
05-10-2007, 10:05 PM
how about i set up to get this sweet lovebird and then the moment i line up all the plans.. the foster bird people contacts me sounds like I will have a whole bunch of birds here...
One I am buying (picking up monday night)
2 pairs of lovebirds, one is on 4 eggs and the other one has 5 babies.... I pretty much have homes lined up for all the baby birds when they are old enough and I think it will feel a bird crazy at first but it will be a fun experiance. I have a huge house so my gcc, my new lovebird and the ones I will be fostering will all be in different areas.